J1772 Type 2 and Brusa NLG513

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Peter

J1772 Type 2 and Brusa NLG513

Post by Peter »

Hi Forum. Just looking for info on whether the Brusa NLG513 can be used with a J1772 Type 2 charging cable ? If so any pointers please. Thanks. Peter
Zapatero

Re: J1772 Type 2 and Brusa NLG513

Post by Zapatero »

As it is can controlled i would say you need some extra hardware that converts the pwm signal of the J1772 to a can message that tells the charger the max. charge limit allowed at the moment. It also has to communicate with the bms for SoC and highest and lowest cell information etc... Also it has to have the simple hardware around the 2.7 kΩ resistor.

So i doubt the charger itself is capable of J1772 but with some addon it can be easily be can controlled to work with J1772.

if you have an aftermarket BMS as Orion BMS 2 for example its fairly easy to set up!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Zapatero wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:31 pm As it is can controlled i would say you need some extra hardware that converts the pwm signal of the J1772 to a can message that tells the charger the max. charge limit allowed at the moment. It also has to communicate with the bms for SoC and highest and lowest cell information etc... Also it has to have the simple hardware around the 2.7 kΩ resistor.

So i doubt the charger itself is capable of J1772 but with some addon it can be easily be can controlled to work with J1772.

if you have an aftermarket BMS as Orion BMS 2 for example its fairly easy to set up!
Here i convinced EVSE to open and supply AC at 16A. I wired one 2K7 resistor and additional switch and 1K3 resistor to PE that brings total CP resistance to some 880R. I did that inside the handle.
Charger then started CAN telegram from PP present signal which pulled some input pin on my CAN uC to GND.
https://mazdamx3ev.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... nica-evse/
prensel

Post by prensel »

Yes the NLG5 does support it,
There is a CP (ControlPilot) input connection available to be direclty connected to the EVSE.
You have to trigger the signal though by means of a CANbus message.
I never got it working properly in 'stand-alone' mode (without CANbus) but with it works fine.
= Th!nk PIV4 Collection, support, sales =
prensel

Post by prensel »

arber333 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:24 pm
Here i convinced EVSE to open and supply AC at 16A. I wired one 2K7 resistor and additional switch and 1K3 resistor to PE that brings total CP resistance to some 880R. I did that inside the handle.
Charger then started CAN telegram from PP present signal which pulled some input pin on my CAN uC to GND.
This 880R 'trick' won't work anymore with a lot of public EVSE's here in The Netherlands (Allego in specific) becaue these want you to follow the right steps/status in the right order as the protocol specifies to get them working:
status A: standby (open)
status B; vehicle detected (2K7)
status C: charging request (880R)

Jumping from status A to status C triggers a fault situation and the EVSE in question 'kicks' you off, it even unlocks the cable (which it SHOULDNT)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

prensel wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:51 pm
arber333 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:24 pm
This 880R 'trick' won't work anymore with a lot of public EVSE's here in The Netherlands (Allego in specific) becaue these want you to follow the right steps/status in the right order as the protocol specifies to get them working:
status A: standby (open)
status B; vehicle detected (2K7)
status C: charging request (880R)

Jumping from status A to status C triggers a fault situation and the EVSE in question 'kicks' you off, it even unlocks the cable (which it SHOULDNT)
Yes, this is the reason behind the button (or switch) and 2 resistors. This means when Plug will be inserted EVSE will go from status A to status B (button pressed) and when i release this button EVSE will see status C. This will also work on Tesla EVSE chargers, but you need to hold the button for 20s or so :)
In addition you may install another switch which will open the CP line and this will unlock your cable if anything unforseen happens.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

prensel wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:43 pm Yes the NLG5 does support it,
There is a CP (ControlPilot) input connection available to be direclty connected to the EVSE.
You have to trigger the signal though by means of a CANbus message.
I never got it working properly in 'stand-alone' mode (without CANbus) but with it works fine.
Do i get this right that the EVSE can activate the charger? Without communicating via can with the bms, how does the charger know what the BMS suggests as charge limit concerning battery temperature too high or too low, single cell voltages too high or too low and so on?
prensel

Post by prensel »

Zapatero wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:17 pm

Do i get this right that the EVSE can activate the charger? Without communicating via can with the bms, how does the charger know what the BMS suggests as charge limit concerning battery temperature too high or too low, single cell voltages too high or too low and so on?
No, the charger always activates/controls (hence the name ControlPilot) the EVSE.
And you need to provide the correct CANbus datagrams to the charger according specs to get it charging.
The EVSE doesnt care about your battery or whatever, it just wants to see the correct CP command to enable his relay and provide AC power to the charger. And the NLG5 doesnt care about your cells also for that matter. It justs wants to see the required command for total output voltage and output current.