144 volt dc motor controller

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
econohauler

144 volt dc motor controller

Post by econohauler »

I'm interested in Macguires DC motor controller.
Is there a place where i can find the installation layout ?
For example : in video number seven you see the installation of the low end pcb but the actual board looks smaller.
The second pcb is show mounted but no directions on wiring and so on.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
RubyRR

Re: 144 volt dc motor controller

Post by RubyRR »

econohauler

Post by econohauler »

if memory serves me damion made two circuit boards for his DC motor controller then turned the production and sales to someone else.
how do i find where i can purchase these circuit boards.
thank you
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I don't think that's correct. Damien outsourced production/service of his Tesla LDU and SDU boards to Johannes. But that's all.

I don't know if this is the same one you're thinking of, but Damien designed a DC controller that repurposes the Gen2 Prius inverter and maybe built one for himself, but never took it farther.

Only one person I know of has actually finished the design and built on, and used it. EV8. And he just kinda threw it together in his head, so there's nothing to copy. He may get around to fleshing out his design. I know there are people waiting in the wings to purchase one.

I've not seen anyone else make them.

See the end of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=275
econohauler

Post by econohauler »

o.k.
I think that I have a schematic for the logic board v1 that you are talking about.
It credits both Damion and T. Bogs.
In video 08 of the motor controller build Damion holds up a board and says that it is readily available on his github.
I purchased two boards that attach to the I.G.B.Ts that are half bridge type. At that time they were on his github and I believe the logic board was also there but I didn't purchase one at the time. Today when I visit his github neither are there.
Presently I can't get the BOM to print.
So it sounds like no one picked up on this controller and made a kit and that the board that Damion said would be available never really happened.
I am also guessing that there is no wiring schematic to show how the board is to be wired to the rest of the controller.
thanks for your help...
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

I did briefly run one of damiens igbt driver boards before I popped a couple of igbts, but I used a simple arduino for the logic side of things, really the way to go, analog logic is a lot more difficult to tune, you have to start changing component values!

Anyway after popping igbts I moved on to repurposing the Prius gen2 inverter as a dc motor controller, with much more in depth logic, I will be publishing the schematic for people around Christmas time when I get some time off, just because I’ve melted my motor with it doesn’t mean others shouldn’t know the fun of 3rd gear burn outs right!
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

econohauler wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:54 amIt credits both Damion and T. Bogs.
Ahh, okay. That's Tony (?) Bogs. His goal was to create a very very simple analog controller. He kept disappearing and reappearing months or a year later, as life will do. One of his early efforts is one of the things Damien built I think. I haven't heard from him in probably another year now.

Last I saw his thread was on the DIY EV forums.

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ ... ng.196337/

Hasn't been posted to in... hmm, time flies. 2 years. Tony himself hasn't logged in in 6 months.