Car restoration

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Greenbeast

Car restoration

Post by Greenbeast »

Does anyone have recommendations for forum communities more centred on vehicle restoration. I want to learn about bodywork, painting, internal upholstery, etc...
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Car restoration

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Greenbeast wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am Does anyone have recommendations for forum communities more centred on vehicle restoration. I want to learn about bodywork, painting, internal upholstery, etc...
Best forum recommendation I have is a forum dedicated to your particular car.

Honestly Youtube has been a better resource for those kinds of skills than forums, in my experience.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:37 pm
Greenbeast wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am Does anyone have recommendations for forum communities more centred on vehicle restoration. I want to learn about bodywork, painting, internal upholstery, etc...
Best forum recommendation I have is a forum dedicated to your particular car.

Honestly Youtube has been a better resource for those kinds of skills than forums, in my experience.
Thank you, yeah there's not much in the way of active communities for this vehicle unfortunately.

I will be checking out YouTube plenty but the beauty of forums is being able to post pictures and ask direct advice
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Greenbeast wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:08 pm I will be checking out YouTube plenty but the beauty of forums is being able to post pictures and ask direct advice
True.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Bodywork - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JPmJ ... Jnw/videos

Everything he does it aimed at what you could do your first time on a project. It might be more work than someone with a shop full of tools and who can estimate everything perfectly, but what he shows you is to break it down into easy tasks that solve one problem at a time, and then build forward.
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 am Bodywork - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6JPmJ ... Jnw/videos

Everything he does it aimed at what you could do your first time on a project. It might be more work than someone with a shop full of tools and who can estimate everything perfectly, but what he shows you is to break it down into easy tasks that solve one problem at a time, and then build forward.
Thanks!
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

One thing to remember is always think outside of the box.
Sometimes it will be easier and cheaper to make 1 good car out of 2 (or more) cars. There is a very old episode of wheeler dealers where they did just that with a BMW 635.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

rstevens81 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 am One thing to remember is always think outside of the box.
Sometimes it will be easier and cheaper to make 1 good car out of 2 (or more) cars. There is a very old episode of wheeler dealers where they did just that with a BMW 635.
Way ahead of you, I have 2 cars already 😁
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Cool, Well one can never have too many parts bins.

I always wished when I was young that I set up as a car breakers so that I would have a good supply of spares on hand.

I second the you tube resource, I have been anxiously waiting (till yesterday) for lights up lights down (mx5 restorers) so that I can get angry with the angle grinder and do some wheel arch and sill repair.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

Indeed, the worse off of the pair is my EV conversion test mule but whilst stripping parts i have discovered some panels and bumper pieces that are actually in better shape than the 'nice' example, and by chance they're the same colour car