Support thread for Damien's igbt drive?  [SOLVED]

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Keshka

Support thread for Damien's igbt drive?

Post by Keshka »

Damien Maguire mentioned this forum for support and questions in this video:

As I am not familiar with the terms and names of his projects on Open inverter I am having trouble finding information and the correct place to ask questions.

I have ordered parts for this project (Damien's "Motor controller") and expect minor issues to develop as i assemble it.

Thank you
Keshka Kotera
Summerville Oregon
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Support thread for Damien's igbt drive?

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Hmm, probably should have asked around before buying parts based on 2-year-old advice.

That design is mostly antiquated, old-meta. New meta for cheapskates is to repurpose a Prius inverter and add a brainbox.

Damien is absurdly busy with his fingers in every EV pie he can reach. Ideally, none of his time would be spent troubleshooting what in the end is probably a dead-end design.

If possible, the rest of the community should step up to help, but, I don't know how many, if any, other people have followed this design.
Keshka

Post by Keshka »

?...unless it's for an old electric forklift and simple is perfect
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Keshka wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:17 am ?...unless it's for an old electric forklift and simple is perfect
Well this example is as simple as it gets. Try searching on the old Diyelectriccar forum. They should have some of the old threads.
I dont see the problem in building a single IGBT drive section. You can also observe Johannes first DIY drivers which are very similar.
I think this is what you need for BOM and schematic. Probably you want to start with small voltage 30V or so.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/DC-Motor-Controller
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Someone was asking just this on Facebook. I pointed them at the information on using the Gen2 Prius intelligent power module as the power stage. Why mess around with gate drives etc, when Toyota had Mitsubishi do it all for you.

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Prius- ... cSW-svaauE
Keshka

Post by Keshka »

My apologies SciroccoEV, I am not familiar with the "Gen2 Prius intelligent power module". Are they expensive? How could I find the correct part on say ebay?
Damien's github showed information for the interface board but I did not see any mention of the module itself. Does he have a video related to this?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Keshka wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:25 am My apologies SciroccoEV, I am not familiar with the "Gen2 Prius intelligent power module". Are they expensive? How could I find the correct part on say ebay?
Damien's github showed information for the interface board but I did not see any mention of the module itself. Does he have a video related to this?
This is similar to your ordinary IGBT brick except inside it allready has driver components. You provide 12V power and PWM signals and thing works off the bat. Well Maybe you will need to provide some capacitance too :).

BTW: does anyone know the P/N for white connector for Gen2 IPM?
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Keshka wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:25 am My apologies SciroccoEV, I am not familiar with the "Gen2 Prius intelligent power module". Are they expensive? How could I find the correct part on say ebay?
I believe they're like $100-200usd on ebay.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

arber333 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:22 amBTW: does anyone know the P/N for white connector for Gen2 IPM?
Part number housing: 1318747-1, Pins: 1123343-1
Keshka

Post by Keshka »

jon volk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:19 pm
I believe they're like $100-200usd on ebay.
Jon, can you tell me what terms to use for the search? What is this power module called? Is there a part or model number? When I search for "Gen2 Prius intelligent power module" nothing comes up that looks like an IGBT or Prius other than "brake module"
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

You would look for a '2004-2009 prius inverter assembly'
arber333

Post by arber333 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:16 pm
arber333 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:22 amBTW: does anyone know the P/N for white connector for Gen2 IPM?
Part number housing: 1318747-1, Pins: 1123343-1
tnx

A
jon volk

Re: Support thread for Damien's igbt drive?  [SOLVED]

Post by jon volk »

Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Keshka

Post by Keshka »

Thank you all!

..yes! they are not very expensive and easily found....perfect!

This make sense out of Damien's later projects.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

I'll try searching deeper for a more relevant thread, if one exists, but I found this one first..... In the video, Damien talks about using the logic board from a Paul & Sabrina's OpenRevolt Cougar controller board. If I didn't have several of the boards, and enough components to populate one, then I'd do just as Damien did. HOWEVER, I hate for these to go to waste so I'm looking for some help. The power board for the OG P&S OpenRevolt Cougar board is for driving mosfets, and had 10(iirc) gate resistors that connect the logic board to the power board. Obviously using IGBT's would be different, so I was hoping (Jack Bauer) or someone could chime in on what changes need to be made