HOWTO: Flashing ESP8266

Discussion about various user interfaces such as web interface, displays and apps
dima

Re: HOWTO: Flashing ESP8266

Post by dima »

Strange, sounds like inverter has 'fastuart' but ESP does not know about it.

You can always set ESP8266:

Code: Select all

bool fastUartAvailable = false;
And try again, maybe Blue-Pill cannot operate at 921600
bexander

Post by bexander »

dima wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:57 pm And try again, maybe Blue-Pill cannot operate at 921600
I have got a Blue-Pill and Olimex WiFi-module to work together so should not be a limitation in the Blue-Pill or the firmaware.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Apparently there's a lot of fake chips on these bluepills. https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/03/22 ... m32-fakes/
I think it's safe to say I have a fake.
20201102_093507.jpg
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
vin

Post by vin »

vin wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:00 am Hi all,

I think I've managed to flash to ESP8266 however I'm unable to see it when searching for an SSID, Should the SSID be broadcasting automatically after the flashing process? should I be able to to access the ESP Wifi Web page prior to connecting to the Inverter controller?
i've managed to flash the module, re solder GPIO0 and it all works. :)
Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

Hi All
I am trying to flush ESP8266 but getting error when I am trying to compile Arduino code.
Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini, 80 MHz, Flash, Disabled, All SSL ciphers (most compatible), 4M (2M SPIFFS), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 921600"

In file included from C:\FSBrowser\FSBrowser.ino:69:0:

sketch\src/arm_debug.h:130:49: error: 'StreamString' has not been declared

void hexDump(uint32_t addr, unsigned count, StreamString &data);

^

C:\FSBrowser\FSBrowser.ino: In lambda function:

FSBrowser:624:46: error: no matching function for call to 'ARMDebug::hexDump(uint32_t&, uint32_t&, StreamString&)'

swd.hexDump(addrNext, addrCount, data);

^

C:\FSBrowser\FSBrowser.ino:624:46: note: candidate is:

In file included from C:\FSBrowser\FSBrowser.ino:69:0:

sketch\src/arm_debug.h:130:10: note: void ARMDebug::hexDump(uint32_t, unsigned int, int&)

void hexDump(uint32_t addr, unsigned count, StreamString &data);

^

sketch\src/arm_debug.h:130:10: note: no known conversion for argument 3 from 'StreamString' to 'int&'

exit status 1

no matching function for call to 'ARMDebug::hexDump(uint32_t&, uint32_t&, StreamString&)'
dima

Post by dima »

This is new revision with SWD mod

"src" folder must be inside C:\FSBrowser\

"sketch"? Do you have other .ino files open? Only "FSBrowser.ino" should be open, close others.
Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

Yes I have src folder inside FSBrowser, actually tried both- inside FSBrowser and in Data folder

Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

I have updated esp8266 board package up to version 2.7.4 and sketch compiled correctly and I managed to upload sketch to Olimex board and program SPIFFS.

next test it on the board
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Hmm, nice! I've been struggling with a python error of some kind. Been trying to trouble shoot it myself for the last two or so weeks, but have not gotten anywhere. Maybe tonight I'll post up the error. It acts like it cannot find the COM, but its set right and the green data communication light on the Olimex chip lights up when its attempting the flash.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

Post your error if it is similar to what I have experienced I will let you know how I solved it.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Chip is jumpered to UART. Continuity meter indicates the jumpers are good and not shorting over to an un-intended pad. Admittedly I found jumpering the small pads challenging. I have the chip powered up by a 3.3v USB source and the RX/TX wires swapped.

I've uninstalled and re-installed Python and Arduino twice. Here are the settings.

This is clicking the regular upload button (arrow). This turns on the greenlight on the chip after it finishes compiling.

This is clicking the Sketch Data Upload under tools. It also turns on the green light on the chip.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something on the install, a permissions setting on the computer, something off on the settings, or if its hardware. Thoughts?
dima

Post by dima »

You are using a USB-TTL adapter right?
IMG_0802.JPG
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I'm using a USB to Serial adapter, and supplying 3.3v with the STM programmer USB stick. If it's the wrong tool, $10 isn't much to get the right one. There aren't many options with the 3.3v power supply.
dima

Post by dima »

No good, need TTL.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

10-4! Thanks! Living and learning. Will get the right tool and report back.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Looks like that did the trick! I need to read up on the next step, but I assume its going to involve either powering it up with the USB adapter aga or plugging it into my control board, powering it up and the logging into it with my phone.

Thanks again!

nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Need a little help/guidance on SPIFF's for the GS450H VCU and the Olimex Mod-Wifi-ESP8266. When set up once I received the kit, all worked over the wifi with correct data being displayed on the webpage, except for MG2 rpm which was stuck at the default 9000rpm.
DSC_5177(1).gif
Thinking this could be an issue with the esp8266 flash version, I set about updating the esp with the latest ino and SPIFFS from Damian's github:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... aster/WiFi

After some troubleshooting, finally got the ino and SPIFFS updated without any errors. Soldered the esp bridges back to normal and connected up to the VCU. Connected the laptop to the esp wifi and got the screen below, no errors but no gauges, and the header is reading correctly which suggests the SPIFFs are working
DSC_5198.gif
Image below shows that data folder should be in correct location:
data folder1.PNG
data folder1.PNG (4.61 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
And image below shows the contents of the data folder:
data folder.PNG
I'm not that familiar with SPIFF's, so wondering if the contents of the folder are complete? Looking at https://github.com/jamiejones85/ESP8266 ... er/V2/data I notice that there are extra gauges java script files in the data folder, and in the GS450H ino file, there is a call for 'solid-gauge.js' but no matching file in the data folder.

I'm wondering if I'm on the right track, although the GS450H has been working for Damian and others so I would expect that data file on Damian's github to be ok? I have to keep soldering and resoldering the bridge pads on the esp to test each iteration, so hoping someone might spot something to save me some time?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

An update on flashing the ESP for the GS450H VCU following yesterdays post.

With some help and testing by the group, we've got the result we were after. The original issue was that MG2 rpm was fixed at 9000rpm and was not updating.
DSC_5177(1).gif
Decision was made to re-flash the ESP as it was suspected if could be flashed for one of the other VCU's. Using the instructions from this forum channel, I finally got the ESP flashed using Damian's github repo for the GS450H wifi (https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... aster/WiFi). The ESP updated without errors, but when I fit it back onto the VCU board and connected via wifi, there were no gauges or values even though these had previously been there.
DSC_5198.gif
Looking through the GS450H_WiFi_V1 arduino file for the ESP wifi upload, there was a call for "/solid-gauge.js", but these were not included in the Data file for the SPIFF's. Thanks to some testing by the group, this was corrected by copying the 'solid-gauges.js' file from Damian's ESP8266 repo (https://github.com/damienmaguire/ESP826 ... er/V2/data) into the data folder for GS450H_WiFi_V1.

The updated ino and data folder were then flashed onto the ESP and it was tested on the VCU board once again, and this time the gauges and values appeared as normal and the MG2 rpm was now registering as expected, so the ESP appears to be working correctly now. I have not tested with the running gearbox but it is reading the correct values being sent from the GS450H VCU code, so all looks good.
DSC_5200.gif
sheselectric

Post by sheselectric »

nkiernan wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:34 pm An update on flashing the ESP for the GS450H VCU following yesterdays post.

With some help and testing by the group, we've got the result we were after. The original issue was that MG2 rpm was fixed at 9000rpm and was not updating.

DSC_5177(1).gif

Decision was made to re-flash the ESP as it was suspected if could be flashed for one of the other VCU's. Using the instructions from this forum channel, I finally got the ESP flashed using Damian's github repo for the GS450H wifi (https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... aster/WiFi). The ESP updated without errors, but when I fit it back onto the VCU board and connected via wifi, there were no gauges or values even though these had previously been there.

DSC_5198.gif

Looking through the GS450H_WiFi_V1 arduino file for the ESP wifi upload, there was a call for "/solid-gauge.js", but these were not included in the Data file for the SPIFF's. Thanks to some testing by the group, this was corrected by copying the 'solid-gauges.js' file from Damian's ESP8266 repo (https://github.com/damienmaguire/ESP826 ... er/V2/data) into the data folder for GS450H_WiFi_V1.

The updated ino and data folder were then flashed onto the ESP and it was tested on the VCU board once again, and this time the gauges and values appeared as normal and the MG2 rpm was now registering as expected, so the ESP appears to be working correctly now. I have not tested with the running gearbox but it is reading the correct values being sent from the GS450H VCU code, so all looks good.

DSC_5200.gif
Thanks for this. I too had the same problem. I managed to reflash using your guidance.
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

can anyone shed any light on these errors?
Attachments
IMG-20210221-WA0013.jpeg
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Hmm... Are you using Gen3 Prius hardware?

HICUROFS is not really an error; it's more of a guide saying 'check your current sensors, there *might* be an issue'

UdcBelowUdcSw means the measured voltage (udc) is less than the switch voltage (udcsw). Make sure your voltage sensors are calibrated. Usually, for initial testing, you can set udcsw to 0 and do a manual precharge -- this should only be needed if you're using a voltage which is far below your final pack voltage.
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

yea im using a gen3 duel motor board. i had it running 3 leds in delta on mg1 last week, i try again this weekend and i get this
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

What is your udc at? (both actual and measured)
And udcsw?

It looks like it is still in run mode (manual) so should be fine. Try the LEDs again?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Long time no see :)
Yesterday I've flashed ESP8266-12E using nothing more than FTDI232(cheap USB-TTL, yet has got everything needed onboard), two 10k resistors and one 100MkF capacitor. No additional power supplies. I don't know why people say it need strong power supply. There are a lot of manuals on the internet, but for some reason almost none of them worked.
I created this sheme and it worked:
FLASHING FTDI232 - ESP-12E.jpg
20210411_152316.jpg
Then, after successful flashing and setting up module's name and password, connected it to v1d board like this(temporary) and it connected, LED is not flashing, but it is not a problem for me :)
20210411_170527.jpg
esp8266_10.jpg
Maybe it will be useful for someone who struggling with flashing ESP-12E or ESP-12F.
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

I bought a partial built GS450h board and have added all needed components. Unfortunately, I didn't research the wifi module enough before hand and thought it would just need to be sourced and plugged in. Stupid, I know. I've read through this thread and tried so many times to get my Olimex 8266 module to work, but I can't even get it flashed. I am a COMPLETE novice to what is required and would have just bought the kit with the wifi module programmed had I realized it needed it (totally my own fault). I know the wifi interface isn't needed to make my project run, but I'd hate to not have it because I can't figure this part out. So.....

1. Anyone here willing to write a step by step, start to finish, "for idiots" version of how to get this module programmed to work with the GS4540h VCU (big ask, I know)?

2. Anyone willing to program one for me (for a fee of course!)?
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/