Gen 1 Nissan Leaf charger and BMS or Outlander Charger?

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Alibro

Gen 1 Nissan Leaf charger and BMS or Outlander Charger?

Post by Alibro »

Hi guys
I've been quiet for a while as I've been busy welding and grinding and my fabrication is very slow, however I've got to the point where I really need to make a decision about how I'll be charging my car.
Last year I bought a Gen 1 Nissan Leaf which was complete apart from the battery pack and since then I bought a VW eGolf battery pack.
On reflection buying the Golf battery pack may not have been the most sensible decision as it means I cannot use the Nissan Charger, DC-DC converter or BMS.

Or can I?

If I had bought a complete Gen 1 battery pack I believe charging and DC-DC would be fairly straight forward to implement as Dave managed here.

So if I had the internals from a Gen1 1 Leaf battery pack in theory I could hook them up to my VW pack and with some cheating like connecting the last 16 connections of the BMS to the last 8 cells on pack (as the VW pack has only 88) cells it should work.
Probably :?

So I guess my question is should I purchase the electronics from a Nissan battery pack and attempt to reuse the Nissan stuff I have or would it make more sense to go with an Outlander charger and do the rest myself?

Any thoughts on the pro's and cons of each approach?
Thanks in advance.

BTW apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I figured it was relevant to the Nissan area as it is about using Nissan hardware with other makes of battery pack.
I need a bigger hammer!