DC Link Capacitor ratings

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
SciroccoEV

DC Link Capacitor ratings

Post by SciroccoEV »

Since I didn't get an answer from anyone who already had a Gen 3 inverter open, I got around to pulling mine out of storage and cracked the seal.

The DC link cap in Gen 1,2 & 3 all have roughly the same capacitance rating of about 1100uF, but the voltage ratings differ.

I've not opened my Gen 1, but online sources give the rating as 600V.

I've opened my Gen 2 and that has a 600V cap too, but a more compact one than the Gen 1.

The Gen 3 has a cap that looks similar in format to Gen 2, but is rated at a considerably lower 450V.

I'm planning to use an MG ZS pack, which is 108 cells, rather than 96 and it would exceeed 450V @ 100%SOC.

I could leave one or two of the 18 modules out, but I'm planning a single ratio transmission, so I'd like to take advantage of the extra voltage to extend peak torque higher up the rev range.

I'll be looking to see if the Gen 2 link capacitor can be fitted to the Gen 3, or some other solution found.
johu
Site Admin

Re: DC Link Capacitor ratings

Post by johu »

Sorry must have missed your post with that question.
So 4.2x108=453.6V . Do you really think that is a problem? It won't be maintained for long, if ever. Just regen needs disabling at the top end.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 am.

I'm planning to use an MG ZS pack, which is 108 cells, rather than 96 and it would exceeed 450V @ 100%SOC.
Do you think of charging to 4.2V per cell? I would advise against it. What you need is 4.1V to 3.0V and thats it. Anything more can cause premature aging for the cells. And belive me inside that 0.1V range there is not 5km difference. I would think you are OK with 108s if your inverter electronics agree with higher voltage.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

I've never liked operating components anywhere near their headline ratings, especially where there are transients involved.

I'd also like the option to push the voltage still higher by adding another couple of modules.