The ZombieVerter VCU Project

Jack Bauer

Re: The ZombieVerter VCU Project

Post by Jack Bauer »

And I very much appreciate the help given but I can only work so fast:) This project is very much a priority but due to upcoming changes in my personal circumstances I have to get it right first time (at least from a hardware angle) so I have not just gone at it all guns blazing. I expect to have a first batch of board for beta release in the next 2 to 4 weeks. That's the best estimate I can give.

In the meantime why not start on a wiki article? This will be needed for end users and also can work as a design reference for me. Lets try and pull that together.

I have recognised for some time the need for the ev version of a standalone ice ecu in the vein of the EVTV gevcu. Hence this project.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Looks like we have Leroy Jenkins on the forum :
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=25280#p25280
paaa

Post by paaa »

]Great work Damien , On the can switches nodes point I came across these units.They are can controlled nodes that allow for PWM output and a series of analog inputs.I am hoping to use one in my build for can nodes at each end to allow me to run a modular wiring loom from. to back(power and twisted pair for can). I will have to figure out the addressing that they currently use first though. https://www.standbyrsg.co.uk/collection ... er-mcs-lbc
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am Looks like we have Leroy Jenkins on the forum :
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=25280#p25280
LOL, I had to Google the reference. :D
I need a bigger hammer!
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

paaa wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:06 pm ]Great work Damien , On the can switches nodes point I came across these units.They are can controlled nodes that allow for PWM output and a series of analog inputs.I am hoping to use one in my build for can nodes at each end to allow me to run a modular wiring loom from. to back(power and twisted pair for can). I will have to figure out the addressing that they currently use first though. https://www.standbyrsg.co.uk/collection ... er-mcs-lbc
That's exactly what i wanted to build, by using the MIM print as a starting point... 8-)
Sadly i'm not that good with Design Spark.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
paaa

Post by paaa »

I opened up one of these and it uses a stm32 , Potentially could just write some new software to change can addressing and functionality.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Found a bug today when driving the E46.

If the leaf motor runs backwards say at a stop sign it maxes out the rpm and the rev limiter kicks in and prevents torque generation. Sounds like Damien put a signed value in an unsigned int .....

This is why I want to not release until some basic checks are done.

In terms of other ideas for helping with the project how about having a look at some ecu enclosures? I'm planning on the 60 pin modice but perhaps there is something better out there?
arturk

Post by arturk »

I gathered some info on Cinch ModICE LE which can accommodate 60 pins header.
This is the one Damien is referring to.
It will definitely work but their proprietary connectors in my opinion are not nearly as nice as MX150 series.
Unfortunately I did not find anything better.

Prices:
Enclosure ~$25
Header ~$30
Connector ~$10

Availability:
Very limited at this time (most likely COVID related as with other components).

Attachments
ai-CCS-ICE-shs-connector-harness-assembly-manual.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
1998 Jaguar XJR, GS450h drivetrain, 48kWh/96s BMW battery
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yep that's the one. I agree re the connector but unless anyone has any other ideas its the only show in town that's available to mere mortals with greater than 40 pins ....
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:38 am Yep that's the one. I agree re the connector but unless anyone has any other ideas its the only show in town that's available to mere mortals with greater than 40 pins ....
My only idea is to add some RJ45's, which would have things like CAN and the toyota protocol, this would free up pins, but would require the enclosure to be cut for the cable/conenctor. But would allow us to use CAT5 cables, which is really handy for bench setup etc...
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

I connected up the Yaris Inverter to the Gen2 motor this morning, and kinda as expected no inverter whine. I did try and see if it would accept a longer THM frame, so went from 100-120 bytes but nothing. So to get the Yaris inverter working we'll need to get some data logged from hybrid yaris. I've a feeling it just needs the init frames like the Auris/Prius one.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

In a bit to figure out the Yaris, i had a look at the wiring on the toyota portal, which you can just pay for access by the hour. It looks like depending on when the yaris was made it will be one of 2 ECUs which could be providing the hybrid data! I'm tempted to try source either of these ECUs and see what they send out to configure the hybrid unit on startup....
Attachments
yarishybrid.png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Dilbert, why don't I throw a few of my spare oem boards in the post to you? at least that way you can get something moving. I like the rj45 idea.... makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place for an enclosure...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As an alternative, anyone want to cad up a 3d printable custom enclosure?
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm Dilbert, why don't I throw a few of my spare oem boards in the post to you? at least that way you can get something moving. I like the rj45 idea.... makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place for an enclosure...
Yea do you have a Yaris OEM board? Will the auris board fit it?

This looks like one of the Yaris modules:- 89981-0D161

Top entry RJ45, people could just drill/cut a hole in the top of the enclosure, then use an RJ45 connector with a boot. Most of the people in DEV mode will have the ECU open anyway etc... I'm finding the RJ45's really handy and the cables are available screened etc...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yep I have both types will pack em up now. All were tested working with the current vcu firmware.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Perfect thanks, that's interesting i wonder have toyota different firmware versions on the yaris on either side of that 2015 production change over. I wonder might we see the same thing with newer Auris / Prius boards too. I just checked my Ebay account and apparently, my unit comes from a 2017 car.

This probably brings up another issue, one which i definitely don't know the answer to, how do toyota flash new firmware to the inverter. From memory one of the times the Auris was in for a service it got the firmware on the Inverter updated (possible some sort of temperature fix). I assume they are using the Async serial protocol as i don't think the Japanese like K-line.

On my setup today I had a minimal set of connections to the inverter:-
  • 12V & Ground on the high current pins of the main connector
    Data signals (MTH/HTM/REQ/CLK)
    Resolvers
I shouldn't need any other connections to that side connector, should i?
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:31 pm As an alternative, anyone want to cad up a 3d printable custom enclosure?
I might be able to help with this, time permitting. I'll take a look tonight.

Note: the "might" is due to current time restraints and because my printer is down (and probably dead for good).
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

3D printing is an interesting idea, but the existing enclosure is very strong glass filled plastic.

If going with RJ45's, we could use a grommet which would allow the RJ45 to go into the existing enclosure case, possibly on the other end.

It looks like the security industry might actually use something like this already.

https://www.distrelec.biz/en/self-seali ... p/15519050

https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z5-0023-00026
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ok this is very interesting. Might just allow us to stay with the 40 pin molex based enclosure. JLC even have a wide array of rj45 sockets : https://jlcpcb.com/parts/componentSearch?searchTxt=rj45
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

LOL I'm pretty certain that's a Bosch ECU knockoff. :D
Which..is a great price.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah am looking at some of their stuff. Looks like they go up to 121 pins. 56 should be more than enough and if I can source the header,enclosure, pins and connector from one source it makes the kit a lot easier...
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm Dilbert, why don't I throw a few of my spare oem boards in the post to you? at least that way you can get something moving. I like the rj45 idea.... makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place for an enclosure...
Boards arrived thanks, the yaris and auris boards must be based on almost the same schematic, but with a few mechanical tweeks, possibly due to different suppliers.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Excellent! hope they work:)