HV battery testing methods Topic is solved

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
shuma89

HV battery testing methods

Post by shuma89 »

i want to test 2012 chevy volt battery test.
It is removed allready from the car.
Seller say's that it is with 93% soh.
Hao can i test this battery without bolting on the car?
There is any testers wich can test real capasity of some cells?
If i can measure the resistence of ich cells, it can give me information of condition the battery?
Thank all.
m.art.y

Re: HV battery testing methods

Post by m.art.y »

Hi,

Yes sure you can test it out of the car, you need to fully charge one cell and then discharge it with a device that counts ah/wh. This one is very accurate and very good for up to 10A discharge current:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m092ubs
There are other more expensive lab versions that can do more amps/voltage too. Another option is to count ah manually, you discharge with a known current and count how long it lasts till empty.
You can test every single cell like that or just some to have an idea. You can also discharge cell groups. Then you just compare what you count against what they should be when new and you'll get SOH. There are meters for resistance too.
shuma89

Post by shuma89 »

m.art.y wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:39 pm Hi,

Yes sure you can test it out of the car, you need to fully charge one cell and then discharge it with a device that counts ah/wh. This one is very accurate and very good for up to 10A discharge current:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m092ubs
There are other more expensive lab versions that can do more amps/voltage too. Another option is to count ah manually, you discharge with a known current and count how long it lasts till empty.
You can test every single cell like that or just some to have an idea. You can also discharge cell groups. Then you just compare what you count against what they should be when new and you'll get SOH. There are meters for resistance too.
Can you link me cell measures for chevy volt gen1 and gen2 battery cells.
I want thinkness wight and length of cells.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I just took one cell at a time and connected 12V H4 light bulbs for 40A load. Then i timed how long it took to drain that cell from 4.1V to 3.0V. I considered this empty.
To calculate capacity i just multiplied load with time.
Since i repeated this for every cell despite errors at least i got valid data of cell difference.
brianbri6

Post by brianbri6 »

You need to externally power the becm and connect to the HS CANBUS with GDS2 it will read the Voltages.
20230809_104729.jpg
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

brianbri6 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:32 pm You need to externally power the becm and connect to the HS CANBUS with GDS2 it will read the Voltages.20230809_104729.jpg
How did you get GDS2? I didn't think you could get it without being a service center.
EdvartsW4E

Post by EdvartsW4E »

2012 chevy volt battery test and Seller say's that it is with 93% soh.
Calendar aging would put it at somewhere like 89, no?
just seems impossible that 12 y old battery is at 93.

Resistance measurement would be good,if you have the some base data to compare it to and HV DC resistance tester

But other than that, custom hardware + software + inverter,
then a good old cycle test to see the remaining capacity on pack level, while checking cell voltages, as seen above, some bit of wiring and stuff.

Of course you can dismantle to the cell level and buy the Chinese cell cycler and cycle one by one. but such a hassle.