IPace Front Motor Hacking

Jaguar / Landrover hardware hacking
nkiernan

Re: IPace Front Motor Hacking

Post by nkiernan »

I know there have been a lot of other projects on the go so the big cat project has been on the back burner. In the last video there looked like good progress on the inverter reverse engineering and the next step might have been some test drop in boards. Wanted to check if there were any test boards in the end or if the new Zombieverter has any relevance to these? (I'm presuming the project got paused just before this)

I've been looking back at the I-pace motors vs the Tesla Model 3 front and rear motors, as the I-Pace size and shape fit where Tesla won't. From what I'm seeing though, it looks like limited slip diff function is achieved through the brakes and there isn't a LSD option in or for the I-Pace setup, which makes them a less use for 4x4. Wondering if anyone can confirm if they've played with one? The concentric gear/motor design gives only a basic diff function.

Also wondered if its known if the front and rear inverters are the same, and if there was a drop in board, the same board would suit both? I know this thread is for the front, but seems the front and rear might be the same?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have no information on the rear. Project is not dead but on pause due to impending house move etc. I have fully reverse engineered the oem inverter board so its just a design and test stage remaining.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am I have no information on the rear. Project is not dead but on pause due to impending house move etc. I have fully reverse engineered the oem inverter board so its just a design and test stage remaining.
Thank you for the update
Mxa24

Post by Mxa24 »

Hey Damien,

How are you? :)
Has there been any progress made recently on the board for the iPace inverter?
I quite like this inverter as the board swap looks relatively simple and the unit is it's own enclosed unit. So ideal if it should be placed a bit further away from the motor.
If it takes a bit longer, would it be possbile to publish the pin-out of the gate driver board? Then one could solder a standard Brain Board in with flying leads.

Thank you very much,
Max
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Damien is currently pausing from the forum, maybe someone else knows?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

nkiernan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:10 pm I know there have been a lot of other projects on the go so the big cat project has been on the back burner. In the last video there looked like good progress on the inverter reverse engineering and the next step might have been some test drop in boards. Wanted to check if there were any test boards in the end or if the new Zombieverter has any relevance to these? (I'm presuming the project got paused just before this)

I've been looking back at the I-pace motors vs the Tesla Model 3 front and rear motors, as the I-Pace size and shape fit where Tesla won't. From what I'm seeing though, it looks like limited slip diff function is achieved through the brakes and there isn't a LSD option in or for the I-Pace setup, which makes them a less use for 4x4. Wondering if anyone can confirm if they've played with one? The concentric gear/motor design gives only a basic diff function.

Also wondered if its known if the front and rear inverters are the same, and if there was a drop in board, the same board would suit both? I know this thread is for the front, but seems the front and rear might be the same?
Looking at the I-Pace parts catalogue - the same part numbers listed against the front and rear inverters. Looks like the latest OE number for both front and rear inverters supersede to:
T4K20014 (J9D314G138AL) so yes front and rear inverters are the same.

Seems good value for 200hp? with some less than £500 - but that is without inverter. Inverters seem to be starting at £150 - 1/3 the price of a used M3 motor.
I agree a mechanical LSD would be difficult - AAM also make the rear motor for the AMG GT 63 E which is the same power! and same inline/axial configuration - with an LSD!
AMG rear axle.JPG
I Pace motor:
Gear ratio =9.04
Max rpm 13,000
Axle torque peak 3150Nm
Torque peak 348Nm
Power peak 147kW
Weight 73.8kg
There is also AAM casting branding - which is American Axle Manufacturing
Designed in Sweden, Manufactured in Poland.
ipace motor.JPG