Hello There. Topic is solved

AEM

Hello There.

Post by AEM »

I’ve been kind of a lurker of electric conversion forums for a rather long time, at least… six to eight years? Thereabouts since I was basically a teen. So I’ve had a lot of secondhand knowledge of conversions for a while now, though I gave up on trying anything for myself for a number of reasons.

Mainly not having a car or having the money for it, I still don’t for that matter though I do and did have an income for some time… just need to build up funds again. Mainly I’ve been looking into research for converting cars relatively inexpensively and relatively… easier if only because parts are orders of magnitude more available due there being far more OEM electric cars. Though I also have to be realistic about my own skills, I’ve literally only taken a single auto shop class in high school, and passed certification for it… so about four or five years ago. Though I do have an uncle who’s a mechanic and I believe has worked with hybrids in the past.

So my current plans for an electric car conversion is… definitely a while off. Mainly I’ve been thinking of an E46 because it’s been done in the past and I like the car itself.

I would likely use the ZombieVerter VCU, and a hybrid motor, L110 maybe? But again that’s a distant aspiration. Honestly I might end up starting with a bike or something, who knows.

Mainly I’ll probably need to look up videos and do more research to refresh my memory on car conversions, and wanted to ask if anyone on here had access to any guides, videos maybe? This is for way later though, probably gonna start on a bike, so I’ll likely go to Endless Sphere later for that.
janosch

Re: Hello There.

Post by janosch »

Just watch all of Johannes and Damiens videos.

Make notes of terms you don't understand, look them up in Wikipedia and search the forum here to see discussions about it. Revisit terms and topics you don't understand until you get them -> then progress.
Caveat: Some of the earlier videos are outdated now, but you can watch Damien and Johannes discover new things with them if you go on the journey with them together, so you learn their approach and thinking.

Have fun and good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineersFear/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/Evbmw/videos

There is also a Wiki:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Main_Page
0tik

Re: Hello There.

Post by 0tik »

AEM wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:14 am
I would likely use the ZombieVerter VCU, and a hybrid motor, L110 maybe? But again that’s a distant aspiration. Honestly I might end up starting with a bike or something, who knows.
Hi. My experience with the subject was in chronological order-
-Buy ev conversion for a bicycle
-hub motor cable broke and I had to re-solder it. Then battery failed and I opted for making one from scratch with pouch cells. In the meanwhile I read everything about how EV motors in evbikes work.
-bought i-miev EV car because reasons.
-met a guy who placed parallel battery from outlander in his Opel ampera and added chademo charging.
-idea of upgrading battery in my car slowly grew on me and after reading everything about the subject and waging warious ways to add capacity to my car - I bought the cells and replaced original ones to double capacity of my car.
-in the meanwhile I read and learn a lot of stuff from this and other forums.

Learning sure makes one more confident in all of this EV stuff.
I don't know what you are looking for. If it is just the fun of driving EV vehicle then go for ebike. Driving one is a lot of fun. Go on and ask someone in your local group for a test drive of something powerfull like 2-3kw rear hub motor or a mid-drive. You'll see if you stick to it or bounce. Mine bike is 1.5kw top but it's very exciting.
Can't help you with car EV mod though. I'm planning on buying a hybrid to get rid of welding and cutting metal part of conversion. Also I agree with what janosch says.