Type 2 charge cables and PP

catphish

Type 2 charge cables and PP

Post by catphish »

I've been looking at type 2 charge cables, and I have a simple question. Does the vehicle use the PP pin for anything in type 2? I understand this can be used to detect the presence and current carrying capacity of the cable, but is this useful for the vehicle to do? Will be EVSE update its 1khz signal to reflect the cable's capacity, or is it the vehicle's responsibility to check both?
arber333

Re: Type 2 charge cables and PP

Post by arber333 »

catphish wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:21 pm I've been looking at type 2 charge cables, and I have a simple question. Does the vehicle use the PP pin for anything in type 2? I understand this can be used to detect the presence and current carrying capacity of the cable, but is this useful for the vehicle to do? Will be EVSE update its 1khz signal to reflect the cable's capacity, or is it the vehicle's responsibility to check both?
I definitely use PP as a signal to the car EVSE is connected.
While PP is pulling my DUE sense pin to GND
-car is immobilized while charging
-coolant pump runs without car being on
-DCDC becomes active to supply 12V
-chargers receive their CAN bus telegram

1khz signal is transmitted via CP pin which when pulled to 880R divider initiates charging protocol and determines EVSE limits to charger. Since it is a PWM signal it needs an active comparator circuit to read.
catphish

Post by catphish »

arber333 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:03 pm Since it is a PWM signal it needs an active comparator circuit to read.
I don't understand this part. The PWM signal is going to be at +6v, +9v, or 0v. This should be easily detectable by a MCU digital pin without a comparator.

The rest I agree with entirely, but couldn't all these things be activated by detecting a high state on the CP pin?

I suppose one advantage of using PP is that you can detect disconnection instantly with an interrupt without having to wait for the next PWM cycle.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

catphish wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:30 pm The rest I agree with entirely, but couldn't all these things be activated by detecting a high state on the CP pin?

I suppose one advantage of using PP is that you can detect disconnection instantly with an interrupt without having to wait for the next PWM cycle.
I tried and it wouldnt work so good because CP is +/-12v signal in origin and it is too high for DUE to survive. It would need some interface. Comparator or transistor.

Simpler to use PP which is GND upon connection. And very fast detection yes.
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

look at the picture, then you can see very quickly how the car recognizes the maximum capacity of the cable. Depending on the PWM signal on CP and the resistance PP and PE, the car must limit the charging current to the lower value. The plc things are only for fast charging.

download/file.php?id=11648&mode=view