Combine Mg1 and Mg2 for inverter Gen2?

alehandro

Combine Mg1 and Mg2 for inverter Gen2?

Post by alehandro »

Hello connoisseurs! I watched the forum but did not find an answer. My question is: how can the Mg1 and Mg2 of the Gen2 inverter be used together for one motor in order to increase the power and unload the IGBT? For Gen3 it is possible to use Mg1 and MG2 at the same time, how about Gen2? Thank you for your reply!
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Combine Mg1 and Mg2 for Gen2?

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

This should be in Gen2 and Gen3 Prius threads, but, they're good items for an FAQ like we've been discussing.
how can the Mg1 and Mg2 of the Gen2 inverter be used together for one motor in order to increase the power and unload the IGBT?
Yes they can, but I'll let someone who is confident in this answer handle the specifics of the hookup.
For Gen3 it is possible to use Mg1 and MG2 at the same time, how about Gen2?
Yes, and yes.

There are a couple things you can do, but, really only one is what you want.

You want to weld the planetary gears on MG1 (the side that would have faced the engine, the accessible side). I believe you weld them to the ring (outer) gear and let the sun (center) gear freewheel, but someone should confirm (or you can dig, it's in the threads and in Damien's videos I believe). This will force both MG1 and MG2 to rotate at the same speed (they're geared differently), while spinning the former engine output at whatever speed makes this happen.

Just for reference, I believe on the GS450H gearbox (Lexus), the gearing arrangement is different and you can just weld a plate across the sun gear, holding it fixed to the gearbox case, and that accomplishes the same thing for that motor/gearbox. This will not work for the Prius, as it would force MG1 and MG2 to spin at such different rates that it would be difficult for one (MG1?) to contribute, and probably overspeed it easily.