what should i use to pick up motor?

papasapien

what should i use to pick up motor?

Post by papasapien »

i bought a nissan leaf 2013 whole motor assembly. and its gonna get dropped off. what should i use that will have the strength to pick it up the guy said i should rent a dolly from uhaul services. is that good enough to carry it around? should i get one of those?
celeron55

Re: what should i use to pick up motor?

Post by celeron55 »

The whole stack weighs something like 120kg and can be easily disassembled into smaller portions. The motor is the heaviest in the stack and weighs maybe 60kg, so after a quick disassembly it can be carried by hand. It has some "safety screws" with different heads there, I recall center pinned torx, so make sure to have those or a good pair of Knipex to get them off.

Some kind of furniture dolly or hand truck sounds good though.
JaniK

Re: what should i use to pick up motor?

Post by JaniK »

I have a "milkcrate dolly" that I use to move around my motors and other heavy stuff around, i got it because it had small dent and milkcrate or whatever didn't fit there anymore so it was junk to them, i just bent it back close enough and works fine for this type of stuff. Ask local grocery store about something with 4 wheels and taken out from use in The shop. ;)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.