what is the best nissan motor to get?

papasapien

what is the best nissan motor to get?

Post by papasapien »

what do you guys think the best nissan motor is to get?
i believe there are only gen 1 2 and 3 motors. and theyre only in those categories.
if i buy a complete nissan leaf gen 2 engine assembly then would i only need the gen 2 controller that is in the current shop?
im new to leaf conversions.
i guess nissan gen 2 motors are the only ones to get right? :) ;) :( :twisted:
johu
Site Admin

Re: what is the best nissan motor to get?

Post by johu »

As far as I know all motors are equally capable. The Gen2 is the most proven one.
You can use the Gen2 board from the openinverter shop and squeeze about 140 kW from the motor. Or use Damiens Leaf VCU which only allows 80 kW but you don't need to open the inverter.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

There are two Nissan motors, the EM61 and the EM57.

The EM61 was used on the early Leafs up until about 2013 and is seperate from the inverter, with a short cable between them.
The EM57 has the inverter bolted directly on top, with the DC/DC plus chargerbolted on top of that and then the HV distribution box capping the whole stack. The E57 motor is still being used in the latest highest performance Leaf and in the new Aryia.

The gearing is different between the EM61 and EM57 motored Leafs. The EM61 has taller gearing, which ties in with the motor having stronger magnets and higher torque. Aparrently Nissan worked out that they could acheive the performance they wanted with cheaper magnets and the latest highest spec Leaf with the EM57 is rated at 160kW.
papasapien

Post by papasapien »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm There are two Nissan motors, the EM61 and the EM57.

The EM61 was used on the early Leafs up until about 2013
So everything 2012 and below is the EM61 and everything 2013 and up is the EM57?

I think I see a 2013 model assembly in my area 👀
papasapien

Post by papasapien »

what do you think is a good price on an EM57?
Technogummybear

Post by Technogummybear »

I'm pretty sure I saw video on Youtube of a leaf swapped Honda crx pushing over 300hp