Drive shafts

LRBen

Drive shafts

Post by LRBen »

This seemed like a good place to put this topic. It's something that most of us will encounter unless we are using the original gearbox/differential.

I'm currently looking at how to connect my 2017 Outlander rear differential to my 2001 MG hubs. I have had a look around on the forums and haven't seen that much about it.

Options:
Get some Outlander drive shafts, cut them all up and weld them back to the MG drive shafts. I've seen this done quite often on here, but any engineer I talk to about it gets squeamish.

I have been told that allot of driveshafts are similar where they connect to the CV joint. So I could get some Outlander inner CV joints, hope they fit onto the MG drive shafts, or some other Rover drive shafts depending on the length I need.

Get some made up. I have had a google and drive shaft manufacturers don't seem to be very common. Is this a commonly done thing?

Common problem to solve:
Measurements. Is there an easy way to measure the distance between hubs and gearbox/differential? The margin for error can be pretty generous I am assuming given what they do.
bexander

Re: Drive shafts

Post by bexander »

If you want to have some custom shafts made up, here is a company that does this.
http://www.northwestpropshafts.com/car-and-motorsport
I have not made business with them personaly but I have heard only good from others who have used them.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

LRBen wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:27 pm This seemed like a good place to put this topic. It's something that most of us will encounter unless we are using the original gearbox/differential.
DOH! I think i posted many times already...

My contribution...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73&p=1199&hilit=driveshaft#p1195
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/tag/driveshafts/

Some advice...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=496&p=12545&hilit= ... aft#p12545

I actually had issues with length of one of the shafts...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73&start=50#p16501
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Thanks for the help so far. Good to get it all together in one thread.
ViktorT

Post by ViktorT »

How did it go with your driveshafts LRBen? Im looking at having a company doing sort of the same . Cut the tesla shafts and my original alfaromeo shafts and weld them together
Alfa Romeo 147 with Tesla FDU and Kia soul pack
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

ViktorT wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:22 pm How did it go with your driveshafts LRBen? Im looking at having a company doing sort of the same . Cut the tesla shafts and my original alfaromeo shafts and weld them together
I ended up changing direction and going with the original gearbox. Getting custom drive shafts made up was possible with new parts. But the cost was around £700.

The gearbox route let me keep the driveshafts, get some variable ratios from motor to wheels and also meant I could use the original gearbox mount which cut the mount making work in half. Getting an adaptor plate made up cost around £150 so it was a fraction of the cost. The coupler between the motor and gearbox I machined from the original clutch hub and the input gear from the outlander differential unit.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've joined shafts for the Diesel motorbike project.
When I asked about welding shafts I was met with negativity and much sucking through teeth. So as usual I just got on with it taking as much care as I could.
It's been in use for about 4 years and still going strong with much shock loading from unexpected dumping of the clutch when sorting out other parts of the gear change mechanism.
The welding shop managed to sell me a packet of high tensile rods or similar. I'll try and find what they were later on.
I preheated the rods to make sure they were dry and practised on some scrap to get the current right as advised by the welding shop.
And if anyone was wondering I don't consider my self anywhere near an expert but did do an NVQ level evening class in welding and none of my bike frames have snapped in half yet.
PTDC1211.JPG
First job was to mock up the lengths so it fitted in the available space.
PTDC1283.JPG
Then trim to length using the lathe. Lucky my Chinese lathe has a wide throat and could take the hollow shaft.
Checked for length again over the full range of suspension movement.
PTDC1286.JPG
There was an internal shoulder that held the parts concentric. Holding it all tin the lathe ensured I had a fighting chance to get it welded straight.
Lathe ways were covered with wood to protect them from splatter.
PTDC1289.JPG
Earth clamp on the shaft it's self as no one want to weld through their spindle bearings 8-)
PTDC1290.JPG
Finished weld trimmed as it was a bit lumpy
alehandro

Post by alehandro »

I would solve your problem very simply, there is a lot of experience in modifying various shafts and drives. Only my territorial location will not help in this, I am in Belarus)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Mouse wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:27 pm Finished weld trimmed as it was a bit lumpy
Hm... no internal pin to transfer torque across? At least you made it larger. Though i would recommend you anneal (heating the material until glowing for a time and slowly letting it cool to room temperature) the welds so you dont get stress fractures inside weld.
Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

I have come across a shop (in Poland) that can manufacture drive shafts (axles). They have good reviews and I will likely use their services for my project (so no first-person experience yet):
http://www.motomax.pl/en/home-page/
They need both ends - CV joints (joints can be used) and they will make the shaft.
The declared cost is:
- 350 PLN (after taxes) ~ 77 EUR for one shaft for a regular car (induction hardened shaft)
- 550 PLN (after taxes) ~ 121 EUR for one shaft for a sports car or another big torque application (spring steel)
davefiddes

Post by davefiddes »

Another UK supplier of driveshafts I've seen mentioned is this lot: https://berrisford.co.uk/product-category/driveshafts/

They offer a variety of custom driveshaft services and have useful information on ordering the right thing. No personal experience with them myself but if their products survive in F2 stock cars they are probably pretty robust. The PerformanceEV YouTube channel has a video about the shafts he got them to make: