crz hybrid dual motor conversion

papasapien

crz hybrid dual motor conversion

Post by papasapien »

I wanna use the Honda crz integrated motor assist for more power along with a Nissan leaf motor coupled to it instead of an engine.
I already have the Nissan leaf inverter open inverter board from the shop but now im not sure if I should have gotten the Toyota Prius inverter because of its dual motor capabilities.

I should be able to run it with the leaf inverter and use the stock Honda IMA setup right?
or would a Toyota Prius dual motor inverter setup allow it to perform better? and not collide with the nissan leaf motor or something along those lines?

Ive never thought about dual motor until now.
LRBen

Re: crz hybrid dual motor conversion

Post by LRBen »

I believe the Honda IMA motor is integrated into the flywheel side of the engine which makes it pretty hard or impossible to do what you are suggesting. The IMA is pretty weak with around a 10kW output as well. So you would be better off just focusing on increasing the Leaf Motor output if you want more power. I believe with the open inverter board you can get more than stock power out of the Leaf motor anyway, given your batteries can handle it.
papasapien

Post by papasapien »

LRBen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:21 pm I believe the Honda IMA motor is integrated into the flywheel side of the engine which makes it pretty hard or impossible to do what you are suggesting. The IMA is pretty weak with around a 10kW output as well. So you would be better off just focusing on increasing the Leaf Motor output if you want more power. I believe with the open inverter board you can get more than stock power out of the Leaf motor anyway, given your batteries can handle it.
yeah but there is this guy who currently has his IMA to output 25KW and hes pushing 30.
i figured if its already in the car might as well keep it and get some more power.

but thank you for commenting. what do you mean that its integrated into the flywheel side of the engine and that would make it hard or impossible?
yes the IMA has the flywheel assembly on the side matching the transmission with the clutch.
i figured id just bolt the leaf motor on the opposite side in place of the engine, with a adapter. doesnt seem too hard or am i missing something?
also ive never thought about dual motors before but thought id give it a go i dont really know how theyd work in the configuration the honda IMA is in.
both motors would always have to be moving in its current set up.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

From what little I know about the IMA half of structure is the engine. So if you remove it from the engine to run by itself you would have to make up a new cover of sorts to keep it all together. Happy to be wrong on that though. I'm planning to get myself a Honda IMA if the next projects is a UTV as I think it would be the perfect size for medium farm vehicles.

I suppose if you are going to have to get an adaptor made up for the leaf motor anyway, you might as well make it up to fit the IMA rather than the gearbox. Dual motor controls do add complication though, and the Leaf can output allot more than stock power with sufficient batteries and inverter. Feels like it would be a more efficient route to keep it to one motor and controller.

However if you just want to do it for the engineering challenge then you need no excuse, it would be an interesting concept to see.
Robert

Post by Robert »

papasapien wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:34 am
there is this guy who currently has his IMA to output 25KW and hes pushing 30.
i figured if its already in the car might as well keep it and get some more power.
You have a link for more details on this guy and the modifications he has accomplished?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

papasapien wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:24 am or would a Toyota Prius dual motor inverter setup allow it to perform better? and not collide with the nissan leaf motor or something along those lines?
The Leaf inverter can output about 800A on the AC side whereas the stronger MG2 Prius inverter only allows 400A.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9