Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
Dilbert

Re: Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Post by Dilbert »

I actually didn't try that. I was dropping out the evse and trying to get it to pull in agsin. In this scenario it wants the power cycled on the charger.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dilbert wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:47 pm I actually didn't try that. I was dropping out the evse and trying to get it to pull in agsin. In this scenario it wants the power cycled on the charger.
Hm... do you happen to know which plug to buy to connect to charger LV connector? I hope it is not unobtanium...

tnx
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

The lv connector is used on a couple of Japanese models, I'll try dig out the part number. If you zoom in on my picture you'll see I used lots of 2 way connectors pushed into the pins, they work fine. There's not too many wires.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

arber333 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 pm
Dilbert wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:47 pm I actually didn't try that. I was dropping out the evse and trying to get it to pull in agsin. In this scenario it wants the power cycled on the charger.
Hm... do you happen to know which plug to buy to connect to charger LV connector? I hope it is not unobtanium...

tnx
I found what I believe to be to lv connector part number, the inverter connector is marked 12716.

The Toyota part number for the inverter side is 90980-12716.

The mating connector on the vehicle side, which we need to connect to the inverter is 90980-12326

I imagine a Toyota dealer can supply with pins.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dilbert wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:25 pm The mating connector on the vehicle side, which we need to connect to the inverter is 90980-12326
I imagine a Toyota dealer can supply with pins.
I found 13 pin connector Sumimoto 6189-1092 right in the UK.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumitomo-618 ... SwoaNeIKtf
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Does anyone know which P/N connector for LV signals does rear inverter use? I have the motor resolver connector - RH side one. But i dont have the LH one. Wiring says D-211. Does anyone have parts catalog?
Here are some pics...
Attachments
IMG_20200422_001021.jpg
IMG_20200422_001032.jpg
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

I've developed some firmware to control the charger over CAN from an arduino due. I've only tested this with my CAN tool, i hope to test it with the charger and the prius battery over the weekend. But it might be of use to someone.

The Ardino Due reads in the EVSE proximity signal on A0, requires a 1K2 pull up resistor to 3V3. I have some status LEDs which show the status of the proximity input and charger. Also, a push-button is used to start and stop charging. Currently, i'm only commanding a couple of amps from the charger and stopping charge at 230V.
Attachments
ChargerTesterx1.ino.txt
(6.3 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Tested the due charger control code up above, I had the prox values flipped, once I sorted that it worked fine. Will post updated code later.

I also tested the DC to DC converter, once the DC to DC control pin goes high the DC to DC will start charging the main battery to 14.5v

Not a bad unit overall, readily available and will fit in a spare wheel well of a conversion.

If anyone knows of an affordable battery pack let me know :)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dilbert wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:04 pm Tested the due charger control code up above, I had the prox values flipped, once I sorted that it worked fine. Will post updated code later.

I also tested the DC to DC converter, once the DC to DC control pin goes high the DC to DC will start charging the main battery to 14.5v

Not a bad unit overall, readily available and will fit in a spare wheel well of a conversion.

If anyone knows of an affordable battery pack let me know :)
I am impressed, thank you!
So you just connect charger to 350Vdc and connect 12V control pin and it will provide AUX battery power? Hm... and if i want 14V not 14.5V? Is there an option to reduce this a bit?

I have a VW Passat battery pack here on the workshop floor which is providing power for my experiments. It is 9kWh 96S and works well up to 390Vdc.
Also my friend just got Mitsubishi Outlander pack 13kWh 96S and is satisfied by the small dimensions vis a vis Thundersky 100A cells he has now. Both packs were on par with 120€ per 1kW ratio which is ok for me.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

I think you also need to power up the charger and connect the 12v battery feedback voltage. But yes it is that easy.

Seems to have fixed voltage out and no control or feedback via can. I guess it's like an alternator, fixed output.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

What colour are your DCDC command lines?
Pin 4 DC SW (enables the DC:DC converter, seems to just target 14V when this is high) -- GRAY
Pin 7 Sense line for DC to DC converter --- GREEN
Pin 10 GND --- BLACK

I managed to pry the unit open to determine which side connector is positive...pics.
IMG_20200425_180518.jpg
IMG_20200425_180407.jpg
Also one pic of the N/L/PE connections.
IMG_20200425_180429.jpg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I had no luck with DCDC starting.
When i connect pin 10 (GND) i get a little spark. But then if i connect enable and sense pins i get nothing.
Did i mess up my connection?

This is the connector on my charger side.
Your circuit is for the male one or the female on the side of the car?
Attachments
IMG_20200425_190854.jpg
IMG_20200425_190925.jpg
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Yes the DC:DC is pin 4, which i think it the grey wire.

Pin 7 & 8 connected to 12V VBAT (one powers the charger the other is the sense line for the DC:DC
Pin 10 is ground.

Once these connections are made you should see data on the CAN bus.

Then bringing pin 4 high the DC:DC will start.

I obviously also connect a heavy-duty ground to the case of the charger and the output of the DC:DC is the black cable which i bring to the battery 12V.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dilbert wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:43 pm Then bringing pin 4 high the DC:DC will start.
That did it! Thank you.
I got a good 8A from DCDC and battery jumped to 14.35V. I must say this is quite high, but it works for powering the car.
Anyone has any idea how much power can it provide?

EDIT: I lend my 12V 1kW load to a friend so i only have secondary load here and behold... 25A of 14.4Vdc goodness! That is like 360W easy.
Ill report back when i get 90A load here.
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

If anyone wanted a charger plug https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3467142995 I bought one of these and it does fit. The inverter ones are proving slightly more tricky plus none of the scrappy seem willing to chop one off to sell!
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

RAS_666 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:14 am If anyone wanted a charger plug https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3467142995 I bought one of these and it does fit. The inverter ones are proving slightly more tricky plus none of the scrappy seem willing to chop one off to sell!
Looks like the same plug as one of the plugs on the GS450h gearbox (if i'm not mistaken). I don't have the charger here to check, but it looks like the correct plug.
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

It's advertised on aliexpress as a Toyota gearbox plug so that would seem likely. The 2 inverter plugs are the same hirose part number just A and B versions of the key however they are no longer manufactured :(
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I have connected the DCDC to a 220Vdc battery and put a 12V load on it to get some facts.

1. DCDC is capable of providing 30A of 13.6Vdc load. I tried to load it with my 1kW load and it folded to 11Vdc! Therefore i can safely state it it capable of some 500W of power. I thought this would be more...

2. After we done the first experiment i went and connected HV side to lower voltage than 200Vdc. At first i would only get 1A from it, but i increased voltage by jumping across cells and finally at 213Vdc DCDC started to provide full 14V and some 30A for the load.

I assume charger would have the same low voltage limit since they are in the same casing. I will confirm this fact when i receive my summimoto connector.
Filip

Post by Filip »

Nice testing, I have also bought one unit for use in a conversion.
Did you have cooling connected? If no, do you think that there could be an increase in power if the unit is cooled?
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

arber333 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:22 pm I have connected the DCDC to a 220Vdc battery and put a 12V load on it to get some facts.

1. DCDC is capable of providing 30A of 13.6Vdc load. I tried to load it with my 1kW load and it folded to 11Vdc! Therefore i can safely state it it capable of some 500W of power. I thought this would be more...

2. After we done the first experiment i went and connected HV side to lower voltage than 200Vdc. At first i would only get 1A from it, but i increased voltage by jumping across cells and finally at 213Vdc DCDC started to provide full 14V and some 30A for the load.

I assume charger would have the same low voltage limit since they are in the same casing. I will confirm this fact when i receive my summimoto connector.
The charger and dc to dc stop working if the voltage drops below 190v and start again just over 200V it also cuts off at about 420v too. I think it makes a lot more than 30A BTW ;)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

pemtek wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 pm Yes I have it all working and the motor inverters working also. As I said I am making a basic controller with outputs that drive the outlander front and rear inverters and the charger and dcdc and link to a BMS to control the charge rate.

Phil
Any news on your Civic build? I would like to know if the application works in a car in torque mode.

Thanks for your info.

A
FJ3422

Post by FJ3422 »

Just got my Outlander DC-DC & Charger fully working, thanks for the information in this thread !

A tone-generator app & headphone-out + small amplifier gave me the possibility to generate the various 1KHz PWM-width's for simulating the EVSE.

However, it would be nice to be able to set a maximum charge voltage. Does anyone know how to activate the CV mode ? Or does someone have a (long) CAN-log of the last part of a charging process ? (CC to CV and following shutoff)
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

pemtek wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm The front inverter and transmission actually has 2 motors with two fairly identical inverters. With the clutch engaged both motors could be used in parallel making a fairly decent power output.

This is a very poor video of the "generator" motor spinning backwards. I did the majority of work on the rear inverter and quickly tested the same commands to the front inverters. The lock in mention in the video was the parking lock which I have now removed and now both motors happily spin together with the clutch locked.

Phil
I have the front gearbox, but a prius inverter. Don't suppose you have information on the clutch and how it's locked to allow motor and generator to produce power?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

Bigpie wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:22 pm
pemtek wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm The front inverter and transmission actually has 2 motors with two fairly identical inverters. With the clutch engaged both motors could be used in parallel making a fairly decent power output.

This is a very poor video of the "generator" motor spinning backwards. I did the majority of work on the rear inverter and quickly tested the same commands to the front inverters. The lock in mention in the video was the parking lock which I have now removed and now both motors happily spin together with the clutch locked.

Phil
I have the front gearbox, but a prius inverter. Don't suppose you have information on the clutch and how it's locked to allow motor and generator to produce power?
Have a look in here http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander ... dex_M2.htm
Transaxle section. I seem to think that the pump was driven off the diff and doesn't build up enough pressure till 20 or 30mph to engage there's a little solenoid on the side of the box that activates it.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Thanks. Manual confirms this. When time allows I'll teardown the gearbox for a closer look.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater