Mitsubishi Outlander rear motor invertor

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
Turbopete

Mitsubishi Outlander rear motor invertor

Post by Turbopete »

Hi I’m new here so go easy on me - I’ve been working on the physical motor mounting and battery boxes of several projects for a 3rd party and I’m now starting a project of my own. I’ve decided to use a Mitsubishi Outlander rear motor and have already purchased it - my question is how do I know the correct invertor to buy and also has anyone successfully managed to use outlander charger and dcdc? I plan on using a very small battery pack for the battery pack for the 1st stage just to get to a driving vehicle point as quickly as possible!
Dilbert

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander rear motor invertor

Post by Dilbert »

It sounds like you are planning on using the outlander rear inverter, which people have got working via CAN. Many of us have also got the outlander charger working via CAN also. The DC:DC from the outlander pretty much works, once given the enable input. In the outlander both units mount beside each other and share the same cooling supply.

I believe you will need greater than 210VDC for either the charger or the inverter to work.
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

I am planning on using the outlander rear inverter - the question is which part number to go for as there seems to be multiple variants?
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

Also when you say “working via can” do I need some additional hardware to achieve this? Thanks very much for your help.
aot93

Post by aot93 »

Have you read the other Mitsubishi threads on here? there is a lot of very good info already there.
The Wiki is also a good place to look.

As for CAN control you will need something to send the CAN messages to the inverter, 12V and HV that's about it
How complex that something is depends on what you to achieve.

I have been really impressed with the Mitsubishi stuff, it's easy to work with, and drives nice.

AFAIK any of the rear inverter should work, but if you can I would suggest getting a pair from the same vehicle. or at least the same year.
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

I’ve been reading other threads on here but I’m an absolute beginner with the electrics so I read a load of info - try and take it in and then go back and reread it again. I’m sure I read on one thread a list of part numbers to use for the rear inverters but I have not been able to find it. What would you recommend to use to send the can messages? Cheers, pete.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Turbopete wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:57 am I’ve been reading other threads on here but I’m an absolute beginner with the electrics so I read a load of info - try and take it in and then go back and reread it again. I’m sure I read on one thread a list of part numbers to use for the rear inverters but I have not been able to find it. What would you recommend to use to send the can messages? Cheers, pete.
Well then i suggest you train on some CAN bus stuff. It is the best investment for you. Since you have the motor you will probably buy a battery too. So it would be logical to also buy an Outlander charger and eventually inverter. You can start playing with charger and DCDC inverter. It is simple to start and drops a ton of CAN data on you when it works. Try figuring how to react to various telegrams... temperatures, voltages, current...
Buy a Canalyst II or similar CAN bus logger to spy on your devices and learn.

I found out P/N for rear inverter is 9410A081
Charger is W005T70271
But not only...
whitep

Post by whitep »

Turbopete I am considering the very same thing. My plan is to fit an Outlander rear motor, inverter, DCDC/Charger, Batteries and heater (So far) into an Amazon.

I will bolt it straight onto the Bellhousing via a plate, stick all the electrics under the bonnet and the batteries where the fuel tank should be depending on their weight.

I am just beginning too, but Am looking to bounce ideas off someone doing the same thing! Where in the world are you? UK?

I don't quite understand the principle of CAN control and how the hell do you convert a regular throttle to a CAN signal!?!?
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

I’m in the uk - East Yorkshire to be precise! I’m just gathering parts at the moment but I hope to be bench testing shortly! I’ve ordered a Prius invertor to learn some can stuff on so that if I damage it it doesn’t really matter! Whereabouts are you?
whitep

Post by whitep »

Turbopete wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:23 pm I’m in the uk - East Yorkshire to be precise! I’m just gathering parts at the moment but I hope to be bench testing shortly! I’ve ordered a Prius invertor to learn some can stuff on so that if I damage it it doesn’t really matter! Whereabouts are you?
Im in Suffolk. I am swinging from here to there on my way forward. I have a Curtis controller and Orion BMS but thats about it. Not sure which way to go.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Dumb question time....
Has anyone used an un matched pair? I.e a motor and inverter from different vehicles?
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
aot93

Post by aot93 »

This was briefly discussed in another thread.

viewtopic.php?p=25930#p25930

I'm fairly sure mine are not from the same vehicle.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

aot93 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am This was briefly discussed in another thread.

viewtopic.php?p=25930#p25930

I'm fairly sure mine are not from the same vehicle.
Mine neither... Will let you know what happens when i get it going...
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Apologies, not trying to side track thread ... (Admins if inappropriate move to new thread).
Arber did you get the outlander motor to work with your lebowski/amperes inverter (I have been trying to sift through your DIY/es/oi threads) are you running sensorless with your pug?
Just tryiing to keep my options open for motor control.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 pm Apologies, not trying to side track thread ... (Admins if inappropriate move to new thread).
Arber did you get the outlander motor to work with your lebowski/amperes inverter (I have been trying to sift through your DIY/es/oi threads) are you running sensorless with your pug?
Just tryiing to keep my options open for motor control.
I am running chevy volt inverter and leaf motor with lebowski. For sensors i took out resolver and i am using RLS rotating magnet and chip. It makes UWV signal similar to bike controlers.
I tried sensorless and it didnt work.

Outlander motor runs really good with lebowski but you need to either modify resolver to RLS or use a conversion chip.
Now i want to put all outlander components into my Mazda which is somewhat forgotten now that Pug is on the scene.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm I am running chevy volt inverter and leaf motor with lebowski.

Outlander motor runs really good with lebowski but you need to either modify resolver to RLS or use a conversion chip.
Hi, is the car running smooth with volt and lebowski? Or are there still some glitches at takeoff for example? Does it resemble OEM driving? Also would you know what the volt inverter dimensions are? Thanks
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:27 am
arber333 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm I am running chevy volt inverter and leaf motor with lebowski.

Hi, is the car running smooth with volt and lebowski? Or are there still some glitches at takeoff for example? Does it resemble OEM driving? Also would you know what the volt inverter dimensions are? Thanks
It is my prime mover so i dont want to mess with it too much :).
1. Driveoff from stop is good, but if you are on a hill it is a little weak. I have to use full pedal travel. But it will get you uphill. I will get on to enhance the hyperbolic response (it is not PID) to allow quicker takeoff in mode 2 sensors. If you are not carefull result can be very loud and shakey :).
Also i found front stabilizer rubber burst after less than one year. On both sides! Probably my fault when i was experimenting with acceleration limiter...

2. When you are above some preset eRPM Lebowski goes fully sensorless. This mode is a joy because its response is seamless and fantastic. Here it very much resembles OEM and more!

3. Volt inverter dimensions ...ish
L = 40cm
W = 25cm
H = 14cm
Probably should write that down somewhere on wiki too.

Kiwifiat here prepared a resolver to commutation signal converter. You might ask him about it... I used RLS chip/magnet combo because Arlo also used it. Also i am ME and prefer mechanical solution to another circuit.

EDIT: I forgot to add i am using USB to serial cable with my phone and a terminal app on my phone. I can modify all Lebowski parameters that way very quickly.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

I'm going to probably have a go at building a drop in board for the outlander inverter based on the lebowski (probably add a esp32 for web and can control) so I can swap between OEM inverter and lebowski brained easily... Will be s bit of a slow burner as I am committed to quite a few projects at the moment.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

rstevens81 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am I'm going to probably have a go at building a drop in board for the outlander inverter based on the lebowski (probably add a esp32 for web and can control) so I can swap between OEM inverter and lebowski brained easily... Will be s bit of a slow burner as I am committed to quite a few projects at the moment.
Lebowski uses 5V for logic and current sensors. What for Outlander inverter? If inverter uses anything else you will have to improvise a lot. In my opinion better use Openinverter in that case. Or do you know how to code in ASM?
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

My outlander inverter arrives next week :D I'll take it apart and take some measurements (and post obiously).
The main driver for the outlander inverter is it's can control so I can get on the road more easily and quickly, with pritty much a due or an esp32 then the plan after that is to start tweaking once it's all legitimate. For oi luckily I have a Prius inverter and board, just want to have an experiment with an alternative brain.
I don't think I would stand much chance with assembly language, the deepest I have ever gone was Fortran and that was just tweaking formulae in an existing program.
Basically I'm going try and give it a go with some sort of alternative brain in my project worts that happens I fail and go back to OEM can control 🤪.
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

So I’m still working on my mini project but in order to reduce the timescale to actually owning an electric car I’ve started on an mx5 project alongside! Started by using a Jimmy clutch plate and the mx5 clutch plate to make a coupler. Next step is the gearbox to motor adaptor and then create the subframe for the motor and inverter! Physical engineering is what I do best - it’s electrical that challenges me!
Attachments
20FCD46A-5ECB-40FD-BA56-6DDBD91C726A.jpeg
5BB627E9-9015-428E-8499-C58F086AF3DE.jpeg
DE333130-0D96-483C-9393-C3381B126C77.jpeg
3304963D-1C41-47EF-9A12-2B46DE07E287.jpeg
8E37E561-A4AC-49E2-B845-A7EEC76C5040.jpeg
0443D1E2-E7AC-43F6-A0A3-AB2511B096E8.jpeg
72CF044C-5465-4F8C-A999-34488AA6C26F.jpeg
30CA2A31-358A-4116-975A-26D2480E87D6.jpeg
37D3F8E5-C1D1-4506-BDE3-2651F14A5924.jpeg
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

Here’s a little sneak peak of a Chevy bolt custom battery box I’m working on at the same time!
Attachments
4CB9D896-4B73-497C-A289-AE1790552640.jpeg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Turbopete wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pmI’ve started on an mx5 project alongside!
Show us the car!

I can never get enough of Miata builds. They're small, cheap, and simple, and you can find an example of a Miata from every era of DIY EV going back to lead sleds.
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:09 am
Turbopete wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pmI’ve started on an mx5 project alongside!
Show us the car!

I can never get enough of Miata builds. They're small, cheap, and simple, and you can find an example of a Miata from every era of DIY EV going back to lead sleds.
Unfortunately I haven’t got the car to the workshop yet! Space is at a premium so I’m working on the bits that don’t take up too much room!
chris01290

Post by chris01290 »

I am wanting to use the rear motor and invertor i can see people has got the motor & invertor running but does the rear motor do regen and have any of the commands been found?