Tesla SDU/LDU Update Topic is solved

Create a thread for each item that needs working on by the community
johu
Site Admin

Tesla SDU/LDU Update

Post by johu »

As you know I took over distribution of the SDU/LDU boards.

Now I would like to make some minor modifications:
  • Replace 5V power supply by much more compact, more available, and cheaper MP2359. Reason: the large inductor is often sold out and the large elcap sometimes drops off the board (see design of Prius board)
  • Replace 10-pin tag connect by 6-pin tag connect (like on latest Rev3 and Prius board)
  • LDU: use something more generic then the LTC1799 for generating the 10MHz current sensor clock. By "generic" I mean something with parts from JLCPCB. Is it possible to hijack the 8MHz quartz swing from the STM32 using some opamp magic?
  • Apparently the silk screen sometimes overlaps the solder mask. But that is fixed by JLCPCB
Normally I would fix this myself but I don't have a Windows PC, thus can't run Designspark PCB and even if I could I'd be reluctant to learn it. So if anyone feels like doing this at the reward of a free board, please speak up.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Isaac96

Re: Tesla SDU/LDU Update

Post by Isaac96 »

I'll take a look, though I may or may not be able to deal with all the changes (LTC1799 replacement is beyond my experience).
Starting with SDU board.
What is the tag connect? I'm looking at the SDU board for now and not seeing a 10 pin besides the ESP8266. EDIT Oh... the giant JTAG thing. That's comparatively easy.
-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

I think I've got the regulator replaced on the SDU. It's got a 100uf filter cap on input (8mm tall apparently) and 4.7uH inductor, rated for 450mA.
Is that big enough, or should I look for something more powerful? This one is 1210 SMD, JLC number C86070.

Do you have a library/layout file for the JTAG connector? I can't seem to find anything for it.

I'm trying to figure out a clock for the sigma-delta current sensors. Does it need to be exactly 10MHz? I see from the LTC1799 datasheet that it's a 50/50 square wave.

If I can get the JTAG done the SDU board will be all ready, pending review of course. I finally figured out how to get rid of hanging traces and connect vias (still learning this program). Also need to work on the CPL.

-Isaac
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thats awesome progress :D Maybe can you export the Tag Connect footprint from the V3 board? https://github.com/jsphuebner/inverter- ... rdv3.4.sch (and brd perhaps). I think I found a footprint on the internet, maybe this one: https://github.com/martonmiklos/EAGLE-l ... onnect.lbr

It must be the legged version with the 4 extra retention holes.

The inductor is good, most thirsty component is the wifi module at 300mA max.

Maybe Damien can chime in on current sensor frequency. If I remember correctly the frequency just determines the sample rate. And the latter is not very important for sine firmware.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Okay I think I have the Tag Connect sorted, if not I will make it manually. 4 large retention holes and 3 small alignment, I've got a datasheet with a dimensional drawing.
I will also fix all the resistor footprints and get rid of the extra silkscreen in them.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

SDU board is nearly ready - resistors all done and new power supply done.
DRC errors from some unconnected pins:
-ENC_Z (STM32 pin)
-RS232_RX (main connector)
-RS232_TX (main connector)
-SPEED_OUT (STM32)
-TACHO_DRIVE (main connector)
-USER_PWM (STM32)
I believe these are all unused, so they shouldn't be problematic.

I am working on the JTAG connector, still learning how to make a custom part (drill holes seem difficult).
I see that the board as it stands has pullups on 56, 50, 46, and 49 - can those be safely ignored?
I can just replicate the Prius board setup if that will work.

-Isaac
EDIT TAG6 connector footprint created; questions about wiring it still stand. SDU will be ready once that's done.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Good progress :)
I'm surprised you have to create the footprint yourself, couldn't you convert the eagle one I linked above? It is known to work. Anyway, I can make a paper print to see if it will fit.

If you want you can connect "USER_PWM" to "TACHO_DRIVE" with some generic SOT-23 FET. Just an idea, yet nobody asked for it.

Thanks for your hard work 8-)
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

I've been a little busy, but managed to (I hope) finish the SDU board redesign.
New JTAG is in place, all resistor footprints are changed, and power regulator is rebuilt with new chips.

I still need to generate a .cpl file and all the Gerbers for JLCPCB, but that won't be too difficult (designspark can output placement CSV so I just need to reformat for that).

Here are PDFs of the schematic and the board layout for your perusal and approval. If all is good I will proceed to the LDU.

I have not yet found an alternative to the LTC1799 for that board; at least I can get the footprints fixed and redo the power supply.

-Isaac
Attachments
Tesla_FDU_V7 - Schematic.pdf
(347.34 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Tesla_FDU_V7 - PCB.pdf
(216.64 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

thats awesome, thanks!
Only comment I have is the SWDIO trace seems to cross CANTX? Right by the MCU.

I will try to come up with a clock generation solution. Still plenty of time to the next JLCPCB order
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

It's time for an update on my progress - plenty of distractions but I've sat down and gone through this again.

Last week I generated some Gerbers and CPL/BOM and put them into the JLCPCB website.
I had to change a few parts in order to fit inside the extended part budget, but overall it was going pretty easily. Until...
The parts don't line up. At all.

I tried manually offsetting some parts, but that didn't work well -- I eventually got a few parts lined up but then the offset for some parts was off in different ways.

Here's what I'm seeing:
v7.png
I uploaded Damien's gerbers, BOM, and CPL to see what a working solution looked like. This looks a little weird too, but at least the parts line up (some are rotated wrong).
damien gerber.png
damien gerber.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
I also generated gerbers from Damien's .brd and .sch v6 files, this matches his gerbers but looks different in the viewer:
v6, my gerber.png

Can anyone with Designspark/JLC experience weigh in here? I'm at my wits' end here. I've been looking at everything; checking the CPL format, looking inside the gerber files themselves, whatever I know how to do.

I suspect something weird due to the component libraries I am missing; Damien, is there any chance you could share your Designspark libraries? I know you swore off any Tesla stuff before you retired to Lanzarote, but I'm stuck.

I would be working on the LDU board but if I don't even know how to get outputs from here, it makes no sense to sink more useless work.

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Couple things. first set your origin to the bottom left corner. Just zoom in as far as possible, put the cursor on the corner and press o.
Don't worry too much about the lineups after that. JLC sort it out.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am Couple things. first set your origin to the bottom left corner. Just zoom in as far as possible, put the cursor on the corner and press o.
JLC does an impressive job of correcting minor screwups automatically.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am Couple things. first set your origin to the bottom left corner. Just zoom in as far as possible, put the cursor on the corner and press o.
'
Thanks Damien!
It's at the bottom left corner of the workspace, should it be at the corner of the pcb itself?
I'm just concerned because most components are about 30mm off.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Bottom left of the board outline.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Aight, I'll get on it once I get back to my PC (it's all on my desktop, I've evacuated due to some fires nearby). I'm hoping to have the SDU ready within the week.
-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Isaac96 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:00 pm Aight, I'll get on it once I get back to my PC (it's all on my desktop, I've evacuated due to some fires nearby). I'm hoping to have the SDU ready within the week.
-Isaac
Stay safe! Definitely the highest priority. I hope the air quality is ok, it was real bad here 2 weeks ago.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Hi all,
I don't think I can finish the SDU and LDU board updates.
It's been 2 weeks since I had time to work on it, and even then I'm stuck at the JLC problems.
I'm inclined to think that some of the footprint files are misaligned and rotated incorrectly, but I don't have the time to go through and update all the footprints, check rotation, and then put it through the JLC system again.
I'm sorry I couldn't get it done, it's just over my head and over my limits.

What I have done (SDU only):
-Fixed the resistor silkscreening issue
-Replaced missing parts with ones that are available
-Replaced power regulator with updated chip and the required supporting circuitry
-Created a footprint and added the special TAG connector

If someone else would like to take a crack, I am glad to send what I have so far, along with my custom libraries (such as they are).

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Drop me an email and I'll help out:)
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Great. I'll pull the necessary files tomorrow along with gerbers (it's all on my desktop, which is under maintenance atm).
info@evbmw.com?

-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Email sent.
-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

With significant assistance from Damien, it seems that the SDU redesign is complete.
I've updated the CPL and the BOM (manually...gross), gerbers are also ready.
One minor annoyance -- the resistor values in the schematic are mostly missing/wrong, I will go back and update in the future.
Johannes, would you like the files emailed to you?

-Isaac
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

That is awesome, thanks! So will you be emailing gerbers, bom and placement files? Or attach them to the thread of you want. I will double check everything and order new boards this week.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Do you prefer them emailed? Damien likes to keep his secrets until the boards have been made :)
dev at johanneshuebner com?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Yes Email works.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Files sent!! Hope they work :)
-Isaac