Chademo Controller Development

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
larsrengersen

Re: Chademo Controller Development

Post by larsrengersen »

JaniK wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:42 pm Nice, You will need to send one of these here too ;)

What is the best place to source the ISA shunt?
Was there someone who sourced a bunch of them?
That was me, have been in touch with the manufacturer, but have not heard from them for a while.
Will chase and get back.
monabuild

Post by monabuild »

This is great thank you for all the hard work everyone! Looking forward to implementing this in my build soon.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Any update on the ISA situation? We really need to work on getting a steady supply of these. Let me know if I can help.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

Yes, I did get a reply and am accepted as a reseller. Now awaiting the price list.
But my last input from my side was on Monday and have not heard since. Will chase again.
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

What IVT models do you all require?
I was thinking about offering / stocking the 500A and 1000A model.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah thats perfect. 500A and 1000A will cover everything we need.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

larsrengersen wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am What IVT models do you all require?
I'd be open to the 2500A as well, because I may push more than 1000A (obviously not on charging, but while running). But if it'll be a pain, don't kill yourself over it.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
tom91

Post by tom91 »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm
larsrengersen wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am What IVT models do you all require?
I'd be open to the 2500A as well, because I may push more than 1000A (obviously not on charging, but while running). But if it'll be a pain, don't kill yourself over it.
https://www.isabellenhuette.de/fileadmi ... _IVT-S.pdf

You do realise right the 1000amps refers to the nominal rating? It will measure above that by a factor of above 10x for brief periods.

From the data sheet:
For overcurrent conditions the extended measurement range is used. As soon as the measured value
exceeds the nominal range, the system switches over to the extended measurement range. The
resolution decreases by factor 8.
Switching back from the extended measurement range to the nominal range takes place when the
lowest value in this measurement range is lower than 5 % of the nominal range.
The extended measurement range is wider than the nominal measurement range by factor 8.
1000 Amp shunt can do 2000 amps for 10 seconds.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm
My understanding is those are continuous values. The 1000a version will read 2,000a for 10s and 1,500a for 30 seconds if Im interpreting it correctly.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Damnit. Tom was quicker on the keys.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
P.S.Mangelsdorf

tom91 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm https://www.isabellenhuette.de/fileadmi ... _IVT-S.pdf

You do realise right the 1000amps refers to the nominal rating? It will measure above that by a factor of above 10x for brief periods.

From the data sheet:
For overcurrent conditions the extended measurement range is used. As soon as the measured value
exceeds the nominal range, the system switches over to the extended measurement range. The
resolution decreases by factor 8.
Switching back from the extended measurement range to the nominal range takes place when the
lowest value in this measurement range is lower than 5 % of the nominal range.
The extended measurement range is wider than the nominal measurement range by factor 8.
1000 Amp shunt can do 2000 amps for 10 seconds.
Great! I hadn't dived deep enough into the data sheet, appreciate the correction.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
P.S.Mangelsdorf

jon volk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:50 pm Damnit. Tom was quicker on the keys.
Y'all were close enough that I got 3 email notifications rather than 1.

larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

Ok, I got a reply and offer.
The 500A version is 211,45 each ex VAT
The 1000A version is 222,04 each ex VAT
Discounts available at higher volume.
+ shipping (first to me, then distribute).
I can add connectors and terminals if that is convenient.
What I'd like to suggest is to do a group buy now and then I'll stock them as well and include them in my webshop.
Depending on the number of shunts we buy in this first round, I can get a discount.
This discount will then be used to lower the price per shunt and accommodate for a 5% kickback fee distributed over Damien and Johannes (saw that earlier on the forum and like that, if you don't want that, let me know and I'll decrease your price further instead of a kickback).

I'm not sure how long we need for this first round, but let's keep it open and I'll announce a close-off date when I will be ordering.

So how to proceed?
If you want one (or more) send me an e-mail (lars (at) evcreate.nl) with the following:
- How many you want per model (500A and 1000A available by default, others on request).
- Whether you want a connector kit
- Where you live so I can provide you with a shipping costs estimate
(If I get too many e-mails I'll add the product to my webshop already to you can see the shipping costs online calculated based on weight and location).

Once we close the group buy round the final price is known and communicated and will send you all a voucher for the webshop so you can order there and pay (using Paypal / creditcard) for the forum price.

Hope that works for everyone. Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.
Happy shunting!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Brilliant! I'll be in touch to order two and I'll pop the controllers in the webshop so hopefully will generate more orders from that.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

If The Price difference is 11 money (i guess €) .. is there a good reason to go for the 500A instead of the 1000A other than save the 11€ ex.VAT ?

For a discharge rate of randomly just 5-10s over 400A, maybe max 700A, the 500A would do just fine?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

JaniK wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 pm If The Price difference is 11 money (i guess €) .. is there a good reason to go for the 500A instead of the 1000A other than save the 11€ ex.VAT ?
On page of the datasheet you can find the acceptable loads per model.
So it can handle larger currents for quite some time.
However the accuracy is only guaranteed within the nominal range.

Another consideration is form factor. The 500A requires two bolts for connecting and the 1000A (and up) require four.

Sorry, did not mention currency, but it is euro's indeed.

Another update:
Edit: Miscalculation, only 2 4-way's are needed, so connector kit reduced from 6 to 5 and terminals to 20 (=6 spares).
The connector kit is 6 euro (ex VAT) and this includes the 6 housings (3x2 and 3x4) and 25 terminals (if you'd use all 18 in the connectors you'd have 7 spares).
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have updated the first post in this thread with all the relevant info. Can someone please update the wiki?

Added the controller kits to the webshop :
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... hademo-kit
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for the info Lars!

Less is more in this case then. :)

Nominal @500A=
200Vx500A=100kW
400Vx500A=200kW, so plenty for most cases.
Mail incoming! ;)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
IanG

Post by IanG »

Hi Damien,
Can you just explain how much self assembly is required on the kit. Are all the surface mount devices assembled and it’s just the through hole devices that need to be soldered, or is it a bare PCB and all components need to be soldered on?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

It's been assembled by JLCPCB, but through hole parts must be added (unless Damien in his kindness is doing that already).
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Correct. Through hole parts such as the connector, relays, usb port etc must be fitted. Supplied in the kit.
IanG

Post by IanG »

Cool, that I can manage!
EVA2B

Post by EVA2B »

Hello Isaac 96,
Firstly a big thanks to ya self and Damien whom I have been watching for about a year and of coarse all others here and in the ev community as it all helps those like myself that are very green around the edges gain the confidence and information to help in retro fitting of ev conversions.
Been following this fast charging system but I've got a little confused as to what I shall need to have a complete and working system, so other than whats supplied in the controller kit, or mentioned about requiring ISA , connector kit etc. do I also need a nissan leaf VCU and BMS to make use of this fast charging chademo system as easily as possible?
or weather i can get by without them but for CAN requirements still have an easy to integrate system with the likes of the original Oion bms 1 implemented for the CAN requirements?
Im aware there was one used 5 years ago(on YouTube from peter in netherlands) along with a similar module no doubt (not sure if was based on JLD505 or anduino due and haven't yet received any reply if he offers this service still for these older orions bms 1's.)
Of coarse I could buy a new orion bms2 and not need the controller kit but I'm sure that won't be any easier and well that almost costs as much as the EV I've got
I no I'm going to struggle with this charging upgrade but it will make all the difference to having a more purposeful EV so any help will be most appreciative, many thanks.......cheers vinny
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

This is a stand alone Chademo controller. It does not need any Leaf parts to function. However, you will need the following :

1)ISA IVT Shunt as discussed earlier in this thread.
2)A Chademo port. e.g. purchased from a crashed vehicle.
3)The controller kit.
4)Hardware and wiring such as contactors, fuse, crimps, heatshrink etc etc.
EVA2B

Post by EVA2B »

Thanks very much Mr Jack Bauer, I'll get along an place a order at ya webshop, keep up the great work