Tesla Combined Charging System (CCS)

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Tesla Combined Charging System (CCS)

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

JaniK wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 pm Have you got the Model 3 PCS running with can control allready?
The PCS is currently being installed in the Grey Goose (here) and we expect that will be road legal next month. Look out for updates in that thread :)
JaniK wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 pm How about Type2 charging+CCS with Model 3 battery?
We do have a project that will use a complete Model 3 battery. However, I do not believe we'll have the resources to start on that this year. If you're in a hurry maybe buy a solution from EVTV;

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for fast reply,

I am not in hurry, but rather studying my options and trying to make something futureproof, With diy ev projects that part of my plan will likely fail anyways, but I try to know what I want to do in the long run, so I would not have to disassemble all of my car just after it is finished.

I will gladly wait to see what you guys come up with the PCS and then move ahead.

Just one more question though, is the Model 3 PCS used to SLOW charge the other type of battery on the mentioned project with Model 3 PCS and model 3 CCS port?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

JaniK wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:07 pm Just one more question though, is the Model 3 PCS used to SLOW charge the other type of battery on the mentioned project with Model 3 PCS and model 3 CCS port?
The Grey Goose has a 40KWh ZOE pack that will use the PCS charger for AC. It will probably use a third party CCS connector because that needs less fabrication than the Model 3 connector.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

some of the creature comforts we can expect from the Tesla CCS ECU 8-)

sholland96

Post by sholland96 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm Tesla Model S CCS upgrade kit.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 21.44.53.png
Is this kit all that is needed to operate a Tesla gen 3 onboard charger in a conversion with J1772 or CCS?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Another Slovenian company. I think this guy was building EVs before 2000!
https://eauto.si/en/products/charging/

I remember now :D they came first in Monte Carlo rally... before Tesla!
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Purchased a EVTV CAN sniffing thingy.
I would like to thank you for your order and your support of EVtv. Decimal is the most sincere form of encouragement.
That's an odd message in the thank you receipt. :D Maybe they meant to say currency.

They wouldn't sell just the harness, and seem to be making bank on shipping - $195 + $22 shipping for ground. USPS (which is usually flat rate) was listed as $34! For like 3.5 lbs at most.

:: shrug :: I also am buying something so I can sniff the CHAdeMO side of the connector at the same time - as we know what that is (via the JLD505 stuff), hopefully I can line up some of the data. No clue what I'm going to do with a handle + cable afterwards.... LOL

On the upside, it's in the UPS system already.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm
ECU is typically €50 :D
Kevin,

Can you share any sources where this is the case? The cheapest I saw was like 115 Euro and in Lithuania, and now I can't even find it again.

-Matt

Edit: For the EU version. US version is indeed available fairly cheaply.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I would also try the Norse https://www.bruktdel.no/
Lithuanian direct sites: dalys.lt and Xdalys.lt.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

jnsaff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:14 pm I would also try the Norse https://www.bruktdel.no/
Lithuanian direct sites: dalys.lt and Xdalys.lt.
Yeah was hoping for something closer to the US :D
No go on those sites. :(
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

https://www.evparts.lt/index.php?route= ... uct_id=238

That was the one I found. Found it again.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:34 am https://www.evparts.lt/index.php?route= ... uct_id=238

That was the one I found. Found it again.
"CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 3, NA" where NA may mean from a North American car (i.e. no CCS). Ask the vendor where the car is from, lots US cars are shipped to Europe for breaking.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Bringing this thread back up as I now have an M3 CCS port and ECU to play with. Intention here is to support the work of mdrobnak who is working on the US version of the model 3 charge port.
Attachments
2020-09-23 15.37.27.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johnr

Post by johnr »

Hello everyone. My business is making charging adapters for Tesla, and a few days ago I tried charging a 2020 Model 3 (North America market) vehicle using a prototype CCS1 to NA Tesla adapter. It didn't work, and maybe that's a confirmation that only the European Tesla vehicles have the additional hardware necessary to support CCS charging (unless I messed up on the wiring somehow, but I don't think so). Well, we will soon start making a European to NA Tesla Supercharger adapter that will work at the new Superchargers in Europe that have the CCS2 connector. So if anyone here can figure out a feasible way to retrofit NA Tesla vehicles to support CCS charging, I can fairly easily arrange production of the adapters to physically make the connection. FYI.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

johnr wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 am Hello everyone. My business is making charging adapters for Tesla, and a few days ago I tried charging a 2020 Model 3 (North America market) vehicle using a prototype CCS1 to NA Tesla adapter. It didn't work, and maybe that's a confirmation that only the European Tesla vehicles have the additional hardware necessary to support CCS charging (unless I messed up on the wiring somehow, but I don't think so). Well, we will soon start making a European to NA Tesla Supercharger adapter that will work at the new Superchargers in Europe that have the CCS2 connector. So if anyone here can figure out a feasible way to retrofit NA Tesla vehicles to support CCS charging, I can fairly easily arrange production of the adapters to physically make the connection. FYI.
Yes, if you look at the standalone development thread, you can see the board is physically larger and has the GreenPHY support on it.
The practical road path I see going down this road is reverse engineering the signals the Chademo->US Tesla connector uses, and having a CCS adapter speak that. If you're just doing a physical connection change, that's not going to work. Which business are you associated with?

-Matt
johnr

Post by johnr »

mdrobnak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:26 pmYes, if you look at the standalone development thread, you can see the board is physically larger and has the GreenPHY support on it.
The practical road path I see going down this road is reverse engineering the signals the Chademo->US Tesla connector uses, and having a CCS adapter speak that. If you're just doing a physical connection change, that's not going to work. Which business are you associated with?
Hi Matt,
Good to know. I'm with EVSE Adapters . I was hoping for an easy solution but it appears there's no realistically feasible way until Tesla chooses to support the standard natively. The weird thing is that NA Tesla vehicles using the right adapter can charge at the European Superchargers which have CCS plugs (and non-Tesla vehicles have temporarily been able to charge at these Superchargers too). Maybe the Supercharger has its own programming and can switch between Tesla and CCS modes...
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

I've just found that these are now available. They say it's only for the CCS1 (NA), but something tells me it's only because of the connector style.
Maybe these will help to reverse engineer both - Tesla and CCS.
Any thoughts?

http://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/
and
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/c ... a-adapter/