BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
oval-e

Re: BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Post by oval-e »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:13 am The mystery of the Circontrol station stopping at 80% has been solved. Of course It wasn't anything that I thought it was.
congratulations on your success. may we ask what the reason was? ;-)
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

@muehlpower & Jack Bauer
How far is the voltage sense board?
Are you willing to sell one for testing? Or could we get the design files?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

muehlpower designed the board so its up to him if he wants to sell them. If not I'll consider designing something.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

bitterandreal wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:49 am @muehlpower & Jack Bauer
i still have three prototypes that i would sell for € 50 apiece. I would also be happy to receive a feedback to hear if it works properly. The circuit diagram can be found on my tread.
evMacGyver

Post by evMacGyver »

muehlpower wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:51 pm i still have three prototypes that i would sell for € 50 apiece. I would also be happy to receive a feedback to hear if it works properly. The circuit diagram can be found on my tread.
I would like to purchase one of your prototype board for testing. I'll try to learn how to send you a private message.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Road trip! Went on a 160 mile jaunt today to collect some parts. 3 CCS stops.

1)Circontrol. No problems got full 125A available.
2)Efacec. No charge constantly failing around state 1/2. Modded the state machine so state 0 is "standby" for 2 seconds. Problem solved. Full power.
3)Efacec. As above. Worked fine with mod to state 0.

Not bad for a 22kwh Zoe pack in an E46 touring...
Attachments
2021-08-21 14.33.47.jpg
2021-08-21 13.10.58.jpg
2021-08-21 13.10.38.jpg
2021-08-21 08.53.56.jpg
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

That’s awesome, took a good while to crack that nut. Any tips on where I should start doing research on programming the virgin LIM?
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
CCSknowitall

Post by CCSknowitall »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:33 pm 2)Efacec. No charge constantly failing around state 1/2. Modded the state machine so state 0 is "standby" for 2 seconds. Problem solved.
Would love to get some SPI/PCAP captures here, just to see what the efacec is unhappy about. Is state 0 normally SLAC? There are a few stations that are borderline out of spec in terms of SLAC setup speed. I'd like to see the captures to make sure your fix doesn't break compatibility with another station or something.

Interesting that you were charging on Efacec fine before. Hm. Hey did you know that there are basically two different versions of software out there running on Efacec stations? Wonder if those stations got recently updated. Normally the fix is for cars that are trying to set up TLS (security) during the handshake, but who knows maybe they tweaked something else too.

Isn't this standard just wonderful? :x
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

Bryson wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:11 pm That’s awesome, took a good while to crack that nut. Any tips on where I should start doing research on programming the virgin LIM?
I hope it works out of the box 🥴
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

muehlpower wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:51 pm
i still have three prototypes that i would sell for € 50 apiece. I would also be happy to receive a feedback to hear if it works properly. The circuit diagram can be found on my tread.
That’s nice I sent you a PM to arrange payment and shipping.
Could you share the link to you’re tread?
Is the board tested with a working setup?
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

bitterandreal wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:18 pm
muehlpower wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:51 pm
i still have three prototypes that i would sell for € 50 apiece.
I would also be happy to receive a feedback to hear if it works properly. The circuit diagram can be found on my tread.
That’s nice I sent you a PM to arrange payment and shipping.
Could you share the link to you’re tread?
Is the board tested with a working setup?
This is the link to the circuit diagram viewtopic.php?p=28143#p28143.
I connected my boards to my LIM (2013/61356805847) and compared the CAN output from the LIM with the applied test voltage (52V-312V.)
I also have a suitable connector set for The LIM for 40 € if anyone is interested!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So had an interesting ocurrance yesterday. Visited a 50kw ABB triple standard charger which uses the same phoneix contact plug as the others and got the "charging will commence once power is available" nonsense so we can rule out the ionity plug as the culprit for this problem. Seem ABB implement the "standard" a different way.

Edit : and oh yeah trying to pull 50kw from a different vendor's 50kw station resulted in a shutdown with "vehicle problem" reported on the screen. Setting a maximum of 40kw cured my "vehicle problem" and the car charged fine. This despite respecting the limits and flags transmitted by the station.
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

I'm wiring up a LIM test setup at the moment but I don't have the original contactors from the KLE.
I guess the LIM has an economizer with voltage or current feedback control.
Has anyone tested if the LIM actually cares about the contactor coil current?
The ~840mA @14V is hopefully not constant. Could someone measure the holding current and voltage?
The holding voltage is probably comparable to the bigger GIGAVAC GV200P (contactor for external PWM) which needs 2V - 3.5V.
But the holding current is probably not enough for the ~5 ohms coil of the GV200P which needs 0.3A - 0.6A.
https://www.gigavac.com/sites/default/f ... al-PWM.pdf

The easiest way is probably using a wire wound resistors to simulate the 15 ohm coils and a small relay in parallel to switch the HV contactors with internal economizer.

4B-1 POS_CONT+ (internally connected to 4B-2)
4B-2 NEG_CONT+
4B-3 POS_CONT-
4B-4 NEG_CONT-
Original contactor coil ~15 ohms
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Please use the search function in thread or wiki article : https://openinverter.org/wiki/BMW_I3_Fa ... LIM_Module
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 am Please use the search function in thread or wiki article : https://openinverter.org/wiki/BMW_I3_Fa ... LIM_Module
I wrote a big part of the wiki and followed the thread from the beginning but can't remember anyone mentioning contactor holding current or voltage.
As far as I know you're still using the original contactors to drive your big GIGAVAC contactors...
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

bitterandreal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 am
The easiest way is probably using a wire wound resistors to simulate the 15 ohm coils and a small relay in parallel to switch the HV contactors with internal economizer.

that's exactly how i did it. I have small relays in parallel with 15 ohms and use them to switch Gigavac 240 with economizer
bitterandreal

Post by bitterandreal »

muehlpower wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am
bitterandreal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 am

that's exactly how i did it. I have small relays in parallel with 15 ohms and use them to switch Gigavac 240 with economizer
Thanks! Just got the resistors.
CCSknowitall

Post by CCSknowitall »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 am Edit : and oh yeah trying to pull 50kw from a different vendor's 50kw station resulted in a shutdown with "vehicle problem" reported on the screen. Setting a maximum of 40kw cured my "vehicle problem" and the car charged fine. This despite respecting the limits and flags transmitted by the station.
Can you say what make and model station that is? Normally the EVSE Max Current Limit in the current demand response message will tell you the maximum of what you can request, and it should not cause a fault if you are following it. Assuming what you said to be true would mean that many cars would fault at that station.

I’ve seen these parameters coming from the station change fairly rapidly, but there should be some tolerance between a change in parameter and a drop in request from the vehicle side. There’s a possibility that early in the charge the limits start around 50kW and 125A or what have you, but quickly erode due to a charger problem (like a failing module). Double check your code that you are actually updating your internal variables about the chargers limits.

Is this one you can visit easily to test again with the setup to grab PCAPs? :)
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:06 pm Uh guys? So ehhh...found out why I only got 8 amps from the Tritium....... My silly prepaid access app thingy needs at least a 20 Euro balance! So as they say in America : I was outta quarters:)
Hah! Sometimes it's the simplest issues.

Looks like this has gotten very far. Many thanks to everyone involved, especially CCSknowitall and davefiddes (and Damien, duh).

Did we determine that both the older and the newer LIMs work at this point? I have a 2015 LIM and am wondering if I need to buy a new one...Or whether to continue working on the Tesla one.

I'll start running the ZombieVerter code though some code quality tools again soon.

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have used both a 2014 and 2017 LIM without issue. Same can etc.

ZombieVerter+code quality tools=/0;
:)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Station was a Eafacec QC45. Current control is working as if I set a request in excess of the available current it limits to this value. Also I see some stations that roll back the available current as the session progresses and the car respects this limit. In another area I'm 90% sure I'm not starting the handshaking correctly. Given that all ABB stations and a high power (150kw) Delta now tell me "charging will commence once power is available" and then time out. Most seem not to care but these two are obviously using a different standard:)
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Does anyone happen to have a part number for the mating connector of the i3 CCS locking actuator? Im coming up empty other than finding the complete mating harness from an i3.

On a related note, these IP67 RGB LEDs looks like a nice choice with a common cathode and easy mounting.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Di ... A2ew%3D%3D
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

jon volk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 am Does anyone happen to have a part number for the mating connector of the i3 CCS locking actuator? Im coming up empty other than finding the complete mating harness from an i3.

On a related note, these IP67 RGB LEDs looks like a nice choice with a common cathode and easy mounting.

This is the nearest I can see - which might fit with some 'trimming' BUT they are cheap!
BMW 12527549033.
ImageI3 locking door connector

Or this - High-volt. safetyconnector sockethousing?

Or this is a 'universal' BMW 4 pin repart kit

Or Maybe you can find something similar here:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/plp/automotiv ... &instock=N
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Thanks! Those are good leads and cheap enough that Ill order some for test. Will report back on anything that works.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

jon volk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 am Does anyone happen to have a part number for the mating connector of the i3 CCS locking actuator? Im coming up empty other than finding the complete mating harness from an i3.

Is that a connector on the LIM itself?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.