Hyundai Kona CCS controller Topic is solved

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
mikeselectricstuff

Hyundai Kona CCS controller

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Ok so it's maybe a bit early for this to be useful in a DIY project but thought I'd stick this here in case someone finds it useful or interesting.
The Kona ( and presumably E-Niro, maybe ioniq) uses a CCS-to-CAN bridge, which is a self-contained module that doesn't do anything else, so if reverse-engineered, is a potentially nice little unit for DIY use.
It's located above the steering column, necessitating the "sit upside down in drivers seat" position to get at!

I have extracted the contents of the flash chip - from the visible symbols it appears to be a generic Qualcomm QCA7xxx driver. The main MCU has quite a lot of flash so there;s probably stuff in there as well. I won't post it here as it has my MAC address but if anyone is seriously interested get in touch.

Hyundai part number is 91950-K4500 ( LDH) 91950-K4600 ( RHD). Available for U$400-odd here https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuin ... k4500.html
Attachments
Img_0237.jpg
Img_0236.jpg
Img_0235.jpg
mdrobnak

Re: Hyundai Kona CCS controller

Post by mdrobnak »

Very interesting... If you can make some progress on figuring it out, it sounds like a great option to have!
Unfortunately pricier than the Tesla CP ECU, and more than 3rd party potentially (https://www.codico.com/en/white-beet-pi ... 118-module). Because aside from Tesla or the 8Devices White Beet...yeah...that's...pretty much it.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

that could be very useful indeed. 6 pin connector? Probably much lees likely to suffer from Tesla software updating nonsense also:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
mikeselectricstuff

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:55 pm that could be very useful indeed. 6 pin connector?
8 pins, 3 of which are ground
Image1.png
Image1.png (26.92 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Probably much lees likely to suffer from Tesla software updating nonsense also:)
Yes.

I just had a look on the parts site at the 2017-19 Ioniq, and this appears to have a module which looks identical, similar part number 91950-G7200. Also listed a lot cheaper - $248

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuin ... g7200.html
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Interesting to see the sealant round the capacitors. That's exactly what we did to solve the vibration issues that I referred to the other week.
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 pm I just had a look on the parts site at the 2017-19 Ioniq, and this appears to have a module which looks identical, similar part number 91950-G7200. Also listed a lot cheaper - $248

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuin ... g7200.html
It looks like there is a version with the part number of 91950-G7300 used as well.

https://www.hyundaipartsoem.com/oem-par ... 91950g7300

Jamie
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

91950-G7200 purchased for 70 euro in Ireland today. Looks like the same PCB 8-)
IMG_20201120_162045.jpg
IMG_20201120_162506.jpg
IMG_20201120_162549.jpg
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Looks like 1 revision back on software (104 vs 105), barcode is slightly different on PCB, but otherwise looks real similar - and 70 Euros is a steal compared to retail prices listed above :)

Unfortunately both G7200 and G7500 turn up very wrong items on US Ebay. :D

So... who has diagnostic data for these cars? :)

-Matt
mikeselectricstuff

I could potentially do some CAN dumps on my Kona - I've yet do get into this stuff, but if someone can suggest a cheap hardware/software combination for logging I have no issues tapping into the wiring!
New Electric Ireland

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:58 pm if someone can suggest a cheap hardware/software combination for logging I have no issues talling into the wiring!
Have you seen the getting started with CAN wiki?

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Getting_s ... th_CAN_bus

Several people from our course are using SavvyCAN and Arduino Due with great success :)
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
mikeselectricstuff

I was thinking more along the lines of a CAN-to-USB adaptor that plugs into a laptop, and logs data with timestamps, for later analysis.
Is there a CAN
A quick search shows a few cheap USB CAN interfaces but light on details of software support - Wireshark would seem to be an obvious tool.
Any recommendations ?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Mike, I can send you one of my boards then all you need is a usb cable and savvycan.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

The other option, if that's not appealing is https://www.8devices.com/products/usb2can_korlan - $69 US for a version which plugs directly into the OBDII port. Someone else mentioned using it and that it worked well.

-Matt
New Electric Ireland

The 8 pin connector located in the housing looks like AMPSEAL 1-776280-1

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-776280-1.html

The mating connector would appear to be AMPSEAL 1-776286-1

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-776286-1.html
New Electric Ireland

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:45 pm Any recommendations ?
Lots people here using SavvyCAN and no doubt we can help you a lot with that tool. Also worth mentioning Collin Kidder is on the forum so you have direct access to the tools creator if required 8-)
mikeselectricstuff

That looks like the sort of thing I was after.
If that is the connector it's even available in RS - will take a closer look tomorrow.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:45 pm I was thinking more along the lines of a CAN-to-USB adaptor that plugs into a laptop, and logs data with timestamps, for later analysis.
Effectively, that's what you get with an Arduino Due and SavvyCAN: https://openinverter.org/wiki/CAN_bus_with_Arduino_Due

The Due does the CAN capture and SavvyCAN will log all the CAN traffic with timestamps over USB to your laptop for later analysis. That is probably a more powerful setup than WireShark. A Due & CAN transceiver will only cost you £20 or so. You don't need the SD card logging if you use a laptop.

I'm going to post the results of doing some similar logging/hacking on my Ampera.

Good luck!
New Electric Ireland

New Electric Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:43 pm The mating connector would appear to be AMPSEAL 1-776286-1

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-776286-1.html
I can confirm the mating connector part number 776286-1 is correct.

The crimps would appear to be AMPSEAL 770520-3

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-770520-3.html
IMG_20201124_133757.jpg
IMG_20201124_133934.jpg
New Electric Ireland

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 pm 8 pins, 3 of which are ground
Do you have access to the wiring diagram detailing the connector pinout?
mikeselectricstuff

New Electric Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:02 pm
mikeselectricstuff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 pm 8 pins, 3 of which are ground
Do you have access to the wiring diagram detailing the connector pinout?
No but I've been meaning to do another 1-day sub to the Hyundai Service info site soon to scrape more stuff that I missed last time.
There's only 8 pins, 3 are grounds, so CP, 2 CAN, power and one other so even without that it should be easy enough to figure it out from the PCB.
I should receive the connectors tomorrow.
I also have a battery powered Micsig tablet scope that can do CAN decode, so I may extend the cabling and scope the MCU input to the CAN transceiver to see what it sends, which I'm hoping will yield CAN IDs to use to filter the other data on the P-CAN bus.
New Electric Ireland

mikeselectricstuff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 pm
There's only 8 pins, 3 are grounds, so CP, 2 CAN, power and one other so even without that it should be easy enough to figure it out from the PCB.
Limited time this evening but first look at PCB suggests;

1 - CAN
2 - CAN
3 - TBD
4 - GND
5 - GND
6 - TBD
7 - GND
8 - PWR
mikeselectricstuff

3 is CP ( direct to charge port, also connects to OBC)
7 (gnd) unconnnected in car
zg3409

Post by zg3409 »

I heard the request to use an Ioniq for CAN testing. I have an ioniq BEV 2017 and I am in Wicklow town regularly.
I also have a backup ICE so you could borrow the BEV for a weekend or a week. I know the location in Arklow and could deliver but might be easier to collect subject to insurance to drive on the road. If you want to install or modify I am happy to help.

I know a bit about CAN but I really don't have time to get hands on myself but I can run logging over time as needed. I assume you can send me a private message and I'll give you my cell phone/mobile phone number.
New Electric Ireland

zg3409 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:42 am I heard the request to use an Ioniq for CAN testing. I have an ioniq BEV 2017 and I am in Wicklow town regularly.
Many thanks for your support and reaching out on twitter. We'll be in touch and get some CAN log files from your car which we will share with the community :)
mikeselectricstuff

Hmmm.. I wonder if there's anyone local to me with a license to buy a Cat.B from Copart....
https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/54800050/2 ... mi-newbury