Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
mdrobnak

Re: Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:22 pm Finally got rid of the red T. I like blue. Blue is better then red. Also got my paws on another EU ccs ecu and this one comes with a bit of musk loom to make life much easier:)
Excellent. Good to see my changes have the same effect on the EU unit. The fun begins trying to turn off the charging :D

If you hit 'c' at the menu it should attempt a charge by telling the EVSE to turn on. However, I'm not 100% positive 'C' will turn it off ! Hitting door open will turn it off. No clue yet as to why, I need to review my logs from yesterday.

Do you have a part number on that wiring loom? I tried to find it, but got lost, hence why I ended up buying the connectors and making my own.

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah ok will give that a shot. No idea on the loom p/n. I just asked the seller to chop off the plug with a few inches of loom:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

We are charging! I couldn't sleep tonight without knowing:) But....my elon is solid blue when charging. I want a green pulsing elon :)
Attachments
2020-11-22 18.26.08.jpg
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Awesome! Yep, something is odd, gonna work on that today. :)
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm No idea on the loom p/n.
1449495-29-C "RWK HV HARN, INLET, IEC, CP, M3"

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=303#p3411

1093010-00-E R1 "HV HARN, INLET, M3, SAE"

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=303#p3335
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

New Electric Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm No idea on the loom p/n.
1449495-29-C "RWK HV HARN, INLET, IEC, CP, M3"

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=303#p3411

1093010-00-E R1 "HV HARN, INLET, M3, SAE"

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=303#p3335
Those are the high voltage pieces, I was referring to the low voltage control piece that has this connector: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1452349-1.html on it, which is what plugs into the 10 pin port on the CP ECU. That seems to be more difficult to discern.

-Matt
New Electric Ireland

mdrobnak wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm Those are the high voltage pieces, I was referring to the low voltage control piece that has this connector: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1452349-1.html on it, which is what plugs into the 10 pin port on the CP ECU. That seems to be more difficult to discern.
iirc you'll find that part number referenced on the Model 3 schematics (you'll need to access the Tesla service info to access high res drawings);

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=303#p3355
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
New Electric Ireland

New Electric Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm
mdrobnak wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm Those are the high voltage pieces, I was referring to the low voltage control piece that has this connector: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1452349-1.html on it, which is what plugs into the 10 pin port on the CP ECU. That seems to be more difficult to discern.
iirc you'll find that part number referenced on the Model 3 schematics (you'll need to access the Tesla service info to access high res drawings);

A quick look at the US schematics (sheet 19) and US parts manual (page 99) suggests connector XO96 is part wiring harness 1067954-90-D (possibly superseded by harness 1067954-00-E).
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

New Electric Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 pm
New Electric Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

A quick look at the US schematics (sheet 19) and US parts manual (page 99) suggests connector XO96 is part wiring harness 1067954-90-D (possibly superseded by harness 1067954-00-E).
That's the one!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Model-3- ... 3538449767

On the first picture, look toward the back and you'll see a grounding lug which is by the bumper, and then straight down is the 10 pin connector. That blue connector might be the connector that goes behind the vents (which carries CAN for the party bus).

Nice find.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Fixed: LED control. Not fixed: Charge control - Start works fine, stop not so much.

Brakes? Who needs brakes? :D :D

Interesting thing I've just noticed - the newer firmware pulses / flashes more slowly.

-Matt

EDIT 20 minutes later: I found the bit to turn it off. :)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The pulsing green T of happiness:)
Attachments
2020-11-23 08.13.56.jpg
2020-11-23 08.13.51.jpg
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I'm curious if the pulsing speed is fast like in my previous video, or more slowly like that of my newer firmware unit. I just saw Instagram, looks like yes it is a quicker pulsing.
Glad to see that we're one step closer.

Updated first post with state of world.

I have a small bug that I'm going to try and fix with the state machine not going from Standby -> Charge Enabled, and then I think I might start messing with the DC stuff. I'll look over the CCS log I have, but will mess with CHAdeMO first.

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah its fast pulsing. Time for me to push the button on ordering some hardware:)
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Really making me want to gut one of these and adapt it to my flip up grill
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Hmm.

http://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/ - Just heard about this on this video today:

Apparently 200 A (so 50A higher than the CHAdeMO adapter) to US Tesla...

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

PXL_20201124_053101472.jpg
I got it attached. I attached CAN wires to the STM32F7 board, and just sent 0x108 and 0x109 on there. That ran to the CHAdeMO cable. I ran 12V from the terrible Best Buy 12V adapter to pin 1 and 2. The adapter has a green LED on it, so I don't think I screwed up anything on that side. (It's usually powered by the station) However I didn't capture messages on that side, so I'm not sure what was sent out on the adapter.

On the CP side, I see it says "PILOT_FAST_CHARGE"...and then fails, and does it again, about 5 times. Then gives up completely, and sits with the blue LED. So, the good news is I think I got it wired up right. The bad news is it doesn't work yet. :D

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Wow that's quick work:) I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "Chademo is dead" noise.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:31 am Wow that's quick work:) I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "Chademo is dead" noise.
Well, I wouldn't call it 'working', and I wouldn't call it 'noise' :D

In the US, there's definitely much more CCS deployment going on than CHAdeMO. So while I'd like CCS, based on my situation already having a Tesla, choosing the Tesla port made sense to me. It's more compact, works with my wall charger and destination chargers, and we'll get fast charge via CHAdeMO working soon enough. :)

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Oh yeah I forgot about the destination chargers. This takes care of the whole swcan system.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

1. Those cables are SO heavy.

2. I was applying the 12V too early.

3. The GVRET box has 120 ohm termination in it! :( The handle _also_ has 120 ohm in it...

I had forgotten what the sequence of events was when I used the adapter.

When plugging in the adapter, the LED goes OFF. When you press start on the charger (plug in 12V here hehe), then things start to happen...
dc_charger_1.png
This is with the baseline unit.

I tried on the older unit, and...
fc_error.png
fc_error.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
...not so great. So I think we need to say that if you buy one of these units, at least for the US units it needs to be from 2019 or later. If the CP ECU has been sitting on the shelf, it's not gonna be happy with the CHAdeMO adapter.

With the EU units, this won't be an issue as CCS has always been supported.

Tomorrow:
- Implement auto-detection of new firmware and add menu item to be able to override.
- Check CHAdeMO adapter with newest firmware.

-Matt
collin80

Post by collin80 »

mdrobnak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:15 am 3. The GVRET box has 120 ohm termination in it! :( The handle _also_ has 120 ohm in it...
If you are talking about CAN then this should not actually cause any trouble. For one, you're supposed to have two termination resistors anyway so if both sides are terminated that's correct I would think. If you end up with three terminations it seems to also be OK. I've yet to personally ever hear of a single instance where three terminations caused any trouble. But, I did argue for selectable termination on EVTV boards but was overruled. I don't think it's necessarily great to have termination that can't be turned off but it hasn't seemed to have been too problematic either.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

collin80 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 am
mdrobnak wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:15 am 3. The GVRET box has 120 ohm termination in it! :( The handle _also_ has 120 ohm in it...
If you are talking about CAN then this should not actually cause any trouble. For one, you're supposed to have two termination resistors anyway so if both sides are terminated that's correct I would think. If you end up with three terminations it seems to also be OK. I've yet to personally ever hear of a single instance where three terminations caused any trouble. But, I did argue for selectable termination on EVTV boards but was overruled. I don't think it's necessarily great to have termination that can't be turned off but it hasn't seemed to have been too problematic either.
Right. I had a term resistor in place and was confused why it was reading 30 ohms.. You're right that ended up not being the issue, but did make me wonder if that's why I was seeing more errors with the box than my ValueCAN3 transceiver (at different points in time, before noticing this).

In other news, I have implemented the auto-detection of various firmware vintages (basically calling them 2018,2019,2020). I didn't add the menu item to override yet.
I checked the CHAdeMO adapter with the newest firmware, and it seems fine until I told it to charge. :D

I did a bit of overall cleanup:
Serial Console:
- LED state now shows desired LED state instead of just Blue Solid.
- The CP Version and detected vintage is displayed.
State Machine:
A new state of Init is added, and "Not Ready" is displayed until the door is enabled. You can now power cycle the STM32 and it'll detect that things are already going and go through the init sequence, instead of having to power on the CP ECU second.

Slowly getting more polish on the things that exist while trying to add the missing features. :)

Now you hear me talk -- but I don't say "Hello folks". :D

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Redacted code on github.
Changelog:
commit 5704b1b54d9dc66e2a4c82e309b459ec87bbbec3 (HEAD -> main, origin/main)
Author: Matthew Drobnak <matthew@drobnak.com>
Date: Wed Nov 25 22:31:38 2020 -0800

More DC support.
Update state to have an Init state to better inform user of status.
Update TODO list.
Make serial charge command follow same code path as auto-start.
Handle 2020 firmware for various messages.
Retrieve and display application CRC.
Handle init, timeout and timeout logging better.
Show actual desired LED state.
Add missing IDs to make older firmware CP ECU work.
Temporarily change CP ECU message timeout.
Add transition value to have EVSE stop charge.
Update type to add PartialEq trait.
Add utility and macro to send multiple empty messages.
Move uprint / uprintln macros into its own file for cleaner code and deduplication.

In other news, I got my ValueCAN3 to work using https://intrepidcs.com/socketcan-vcan4/ as a guide. We'll see how well it works with SavvyCAN.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, so...no work :D I'm off to bed shortly. Happy Thanksgiving to the US folks.

-Matt
collin80

Post by collin80 »

mdrobnak wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 am In other news, I got my ValueCAN3 to work using https://intrepidcs.com/socketcan-vcan4/ as a guide. We'll see how well it works with SavvyCAN.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, so...no work :D I'm off to bed shortly. Happy Thanksgiving to the US folks.
I've done it, it can work in SavvyCAN. Back about 1 year ago when I last tried it the driver kind of sucked. I think Intrepid has worked on it since then. I'm almost positive that back then there was no way to set the CAN speed - it was always 500k. But, it sort of worked. Hopefully it works even better now.
gleb

Post by gleb »

mdrobnak wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 pm http://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/

Apparently 200 A (so 50A higher than the CHAdeMO adapter) to US Tesla...
Hi. kudos on your project.

Sorry for the layman's question, but what does a charge port controller do?

From the videos that @Jack Bauer posted I understood that ECU box does the talking between the battery and the charging station, where does charge port controller sits in this scheme, and how is CCS 2 Tesla adapter affects this?