EV Course Arklow - Transport/Accommodation tips

Snufkin

EV Course Arklow - Transport/Accommodation tips

Post by Snufkin »

I would like to start a topic about the things we need to know (or are good to know) with regard to the course location, even before we can decide on the date.
In particular:

1. Transport Dublin Airport/Rosslare Ferry <-> Arklow
- better train or bus?
- where/how much in advance to buy tickets?

2. Transport around Arklow
- is the meeting point every day in the town, or should we travel to the workshop on our own?
- is there any local, frequent public transport?

3. Accommodation
- any good locations we cannot find easily on AirBnB/ Booking
- how far from Arklow is still feasible (if we don't have a car)? Are Woodenbridge or Avoca still an option?

Thanks in advance
Lotol

Re: EV Course Arklow - Transport/Accommodation tips

Post by Lotol »

Hi Snufkin,

I live just up from Arklow. There is a coach that travels from the Airport and goes past the venue. It’s called the Wexford bus (https://www.wexfordbus.com/). I’m sure Damien will give you precise details. The Arklow bay hotel is the biggest in Arklow. The Wexford bus stops near it. I think Jack White’s pub still offers accommodation. That’s on the bus route too.

Plenty of b&bs around though. Avoca and Woodenbridge aren’t too far away but you’d need a car.

I hope that helps.
Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

Thanks Lotol, this is really helpful

Roman
deaglan

Post by deaglan »

Hi,
Like previous post, from Airport to Arklow is best by direct bus (Wexford bus or bus eireann).
Rosslaire to Arklow by train is direct service as well.

I think the issue you have is getting to venue - don’t think there’s any public transport so you will need a car.

I’d look into a rental from airport. Probably not much more than return bus fare.

My commute from Wicklow town was 15 minutes, if you have a car. Gorey would be a similar stretch.
Darrenptalbot

Post by Darrenptalbot »

For the March course, I’ve got a Airbnb in Gorey and am in the car, so will have a few spaces each day if people need a lift
aaronmcg

Post by aaronmcg »

Darrenptalbot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 pm For the March course, I’ve got a Airbnb in Gorey and am in the car, so will have a few spaces each day if people need a lift
Equally I’ve got an AirBnB in Rathdrum and can also give a lift for 1-3 people
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

For the March course, I stayed at this AirBNB:
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/36713692

Room is pretty basic, but excellent value. It's only a 10 minute walk into Arklow and there's off-street parking.
The hosts are really welcoming (and were full of questions about EVs...) - recommended!
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I stayed at the Royal Hotel Arklow and it was 'ok' at best. Over the weekend the street below is pretty loud and there was a 5 am incident in the hallway that was annoying. Find something better is my suggestion.
Trentster

Post by Trentster »

I stayed at Moneylands just outside of Arklow town for the March 2020 course. It was self catering - the B&B was closed for redecoration - but it was excellent and I can highly recommend it. Very clean, warm, comfortable beds, change of towels after 3 days and room clean. You can walk into Arklow but it's a good 20 minute walk so would suggest a car. There's a Lidl and huge Tesco close by on the way into Arklow town. It's about a 10 minute drive from Moneylands to the course site but it's an easy drive. 2 minutes to junction 20 of the M11 then come off at junction 21.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Also for car rental from Dublin airport I paid 35 euros for the whole duration, 5 day rental. And 12 euros for gas fill up after. Will probably get around 6 euros of tolls for M50.

Beware that not accepting the 25ish euro per day extra insurance means that they want to block off 2000 euros deposit. So come with a credit card and enough limit to cover that.