L210 gearbox

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
thornogson

Re: L210 gearbox

Post by thornogson »

Hi guys , does anyone have a part number for the resolver wiring plugs that fit the sockets on the L210 gearbox ? the socket is 82824-30351 , they are different from the ones on my MG1
thanks
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

thornogson wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 am Hi guys , does anyone have a part number for the resolver wiring plugs that fit the sockets on the L210 gearbox ? the socket is 82824-30351 , they are different from the ones on my MG1
thanks
They're the same as the ones on the L110. Sumitomo 6189-1240.
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Good couple of hours therapy with an angle grinder and a redundant Robin Hood kit car chassis , tried a few options ...
IMG_3601[1].JPG
Attached direct to the sierra diff didn't allow enough hip/leg room
IMG_3606[1].JPG
will be easy to build attachment points further forward with a short propshaft and puts the weight dead centre of the car
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
Shaf1926

Post by Shaf1926 »

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have gone through the threads but not seen this particular question.

I am converting a Morris Minor. I have acquired an IS300H gearbox and inverter. Originally had only 30 bhp. So I don't need the combined power of MG1 and MG2. Looking at the box from the outside there is a split so I was looking at taking the bell housing end off with that motor. Looking at pictures from Chrskly (Great info). I believe the mechanical oil pump would be exposed. If this were replaced with an external pump, would it be feasible to remove that front motor? What issues would occur? I haven't taken my gearbox apart yet to have a look. But if the idea is a non-starter I'll have to figure out how to fit the whole transmission.
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

Shaf1926 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:23 am Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have gone through the threads but not seen this particular question.

I am converting a Morris Minor. I have acquired an IS300H gearbox and inverter. Originally had only 30 bhp. So I don't need the combined power of MG1 and MG2. Looking at the box from the outside there is a split so I was looking at taking the bell housing end off with that motor. Looking at pictures from Chrskly (Great info). I believe the mechanical oil pump would be exposed. If this were replaced with an external pump, would it be feasible to remove that front motor? What issues would occur? I haven't taken my gearbox apart yet to have a look. But if the idea is a non-starter I'll have to figure out how to fit the whole transmission.
Long story short, this is possible, but it would require some non-trivial machining skills. Here's a photo of the part of the CVT you'd need to be covering over.
IMG_5601.jpeg
1. The input shaft/planet carrier piece can go, but you'll still need to keep the big MG2 ring gear. You'd need some sort of carrier or retainer to hold the ring gear in.
2. Since you're keeping the ring gear, you may as well keep the oil pump gear. The upside is that the oil pump will keep working. The downside is that the ring gear and oil pump stand out quite a bit. So your cover that you need to make wouldn't just be a flat plate, but a fairly thick, fairly complex-shaped piece of machined metal.
3. Pretty sure at the top you have an oil channel that feeds oil to MG1. It would probably be fine just to pour straight down, but you'd need to be sure to leave clearance.
Shaf1926

Post by Shaf1926 »

Thanks a lot for this. Those tasks are probably quite doable. As the machined cover plate would be non structural I don't think it has to be machined out of metal.
Could be machined or of composite. Or even perhaps 3d printed, so long as it isn't porous and is strong enough to be clamped to the casing to make a good seal.

Whether it's worth the effort is a different question but thanks for your reply chrskly
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Shaf1926 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:23 am Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have gone through the threads but not seen this particular question.

I have a 2cv converion on the go too with a i-miev/ c-zero/ion motor straight onto the manual gearbox ... tres simples may be a good option for your moggy
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Input shaft on the L210 is 23mm outer diameter and 21 spline , toyota clutches from 79-94 tercel and 70-82 corollas seem to be the thing . They are NOT the 21 spline 28mm centres mentioned elsewhere. Ask me how I know
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

Hi folks!
Very important question about L210 has still no answer. Can L210 is be used simply connected to GS450h or Camry invnertor?
Have anyone try it?
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

The L210 is just two 3-phase AC motors (with resolvers) packaged up together. So, in theory, any inverter that can drive 3-phase AC motors can drive the L210. But of course the only way to be 100% sure is for someone to try :)
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

I'm really impatient to try L210 with the Camry inverter, but I'd rather wait for the ZombieVerter VCU from Damien ;)
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

chuuux wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:24 pm I'm really impatient to try L210 with the Camry inverter, but I'd rather wait for the ZombieVerter VCU from Damien ;)
i have a Camry AVV50R that works fine except for a noisy ICE sitting on my lawn, with close to a IS300h inverter in it. So can sniff signals. I just need a little bit of help working out how to sniff it. (I have a PICoscope 6000 which can grab serial data, and also CanDuev2.2 converter ). Would like this info to end up in the wonderful ZombieVerter VCU as time permit,s by these great, clever people.

Have sickness in family so will be a bit slow getting there.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

The easiest way to sniff the can traffic is to use a CAN transceiver with the rx pins connected to an ftdi cable, to make the physical connection to USB on a pc.

I then use real term to capture the data to a file as hex and have a python script to process the file. I can provide the python script, it just needs to be told how often the data repeats and will verify the checksums and output as csv for excel.

I've built a dual version of this and logged both the mth and htm signals at the same time.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Anybody keen to trade one of these GS300H (L210) gearbox for the larger GS450?
I've got a few more than to many complete GS450H units. I would like the smaller unit for one of my projects, but sadly, the GS300H was not offered in North American markets. :cry:
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Bassmobile wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 am Anybody keen to trade one of these GS300H (L210) gearbox for the larger GS450?
I've got a few more than to many complete GS450H units. I would like the smaller unit for one of my projects, but sadly, the GS300H was not offered in North American markets. :cry:
I may be able to help with sourcing and shipping, I regularly move stuff both ways,I may be interested in the 4x4 version, I'll investigate tariffs and taxes which could be a killer, whereabouts in the states are you ?

How about this one ? ..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS300h-2 ... Sws6JfJ7xU
Wayne Campbell

Post by Wayne Campbell »

Has anyone had success running the L210 gearbox, what are you using a vcu or drop in board ?
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

johnspark wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:35 am
chuuux wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:24 pm I'm really impatient to try L210 with the Camry inverter, but I'd rather wait for the ZombieVerter VCU from Damien ;)
i have a Camry AVV50R that works fine except for a noisy ICE sitting on my lawn, with close to a IS300h inverter in it. So can sniff signals. I just need a little bit of help working out how to sniff it. (I have a PICoscope 6000 which can grab serial data, and also CanDuev2.2 converter ). Would like this info to end up in the wonderful ZombieVerter VCU as time permit,s by these great, clever people.
Hi! Have you defined the 3rdGen Camry (AVV50R) connector pinout? I realize that the main connector is different from any described in the wiki.
I tried to find out in the service manuals but unsuccessful.
Attachments
DSC_1103.JPG
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

Has anyone started a 2012+ L210 gearbox with an inverter pre 2012? I see jerky movements (almost no spining with some amps) when I press the throttle. It looks like the incompatibility of the resolvers signals, something like wrong "sinkofs" in the openiverter FOC tuning.
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

Brum brum brum

(Prius Gen 3 with dual-motor board)
Markos

Post by Markos »

A question about the oil pump, if it's driven by the gears internally, is there some sort of rev limit to prevent destroying the pump?
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Markos wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:57 pm A question about the oil pump, if it's driven by the gears internally, is there some sort of rev limit to prevent destroying the pump?
As it is driven by a sprag clutch type arrangment and designed by Toyota to run at the top road speed of the IS300H I don't think there's a problem here ..I may be wrong ! It's not doing much except lubricating and cooling (no clutch packs) so probably not high pressure
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Any updates on this tranny? Anyone using it a project?
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:06 pm Any updates on this tranny? Anyone using it a project?
It works. https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Bratitude wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm
PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:06 pm Any updates on this tranny? Anyone using it a project?
It works. https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999
Thanks I’d completely forgotten about your build thread!
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
bobby_come_lately

Post by bobby_come_lately »

I'm going to pursue the L210 route with matched inverter and Zombie board for my next project. Just picked up an inverter cheap but can't find anywhere on here that the pinout has been mapped. Connector looks just like the one on the Camry inverter above. Has anyone mapped the pinout for this or found connectors? Or are they unobtanium like the Prius ones? Have tried searching the forum for various things, including model number (G9200-30132) but no joy.

Assuming I'll replace it at the moment but be nice if I didn't have to.