Electric Mazda RX-8 using 2015 toyota Avalon hybrid inveter

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Dylan Witt

Re: Electric Mazda RX-8 using 2015 toyota Avalon hybrid inveter

Post by Dylan Witt »

32p-100s only be using 3200 cells if i uses this configuration, but im looking at only using 100 lg 120ah cells, it will drop in weight by roughly 400 pounds, i would have been adding 2115 pounds of cells with the spim08hp cells, and only be at 425 pounds
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

so im still waiting on the control board from evbmw. as i wait i have removed the old vacuum booster assembly and have installed a Toyota Avalon hybrid hydro-boost system, also im working on buying a Tesla refrigerant to water cooler to keep my inverters and motor cool. i will have two inverters Prius gen three to drive the car and a Prius gen two inverter to use as a mains charger since the gen three inverter will be driving the generator plus the drive motor. i ordered the control boards about a week and a half ago, might not see them until the end of the month due to the reorder of supplies Damien had to do. hopefully mine has the updated 5 volt reference resistor. so what else should i be doing to the Mazda while i wait on the parts? and how hard would it be to switch from the generator drive to the mains power to charge the battery? can i just remove the power wires or what do need to do?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

update on the rx8. i recently posted on the gen three inverter section, well i had alot of noise in my control wiring from throttle, some how the 4.4khz frequency was slightly grounded, ive rewired everything on the inverter, shortened all wiring, ran none shielded Ethernet cables to my throttle, power cables are no longer shielded, only shielding is on the resolver wiring. im hoping this fixes my erratic throttle problems. and also the resolver was not reading angle of the motor correctly. it is a 8 pole motor with a 2 pole resolver. im thinking that is right, i have not found a good description of the Toyota Camry/Avalon hybrid motors anywhere. im going to be a few more days in wiring. im making sure this thing is good. also looking for AC conditioner control software for the Avalon hybrid 2015 ac compressor. im wanting to use it for cabin cooling plus adding a Tesla refrigerant to water cooler with some valving to cool a tank of coolant for the motor and inverter. if anyone could help me with either i would greatly appreciate it
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

on the P314 transmission, it has a lower gear ratio, mg2 turns 8 times to the axles one turn, in other words it has two power split devices, the mg2 is a torque multiplication and the other for mg1 is just your typical gear reducer, but also has a lower gearing of about 3.15 turns of the generator to the output shafts one (engine side) in really thinking this transmission design will be an amazing transmission for this electric rx8, lower gear ratio for a faster acceleration speed. we will see soon, im working on welding the gears for mg1 (generator power split device). a few cuts and fluid loss on my end, all is fine, those motor resolver's have sharp edges. next step to get the to motors turning as one. not sure how to off set the resolver settings in the open inverter gen three Prius software yet,
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Toyota's P314 Trans-axle is odd, if i weld the generator power split device then the generator will spin faster than the traction motor, the traction motor also has a gear reduction to, so im thinking about locking the front input shaft, but then the 1.05 gear difference between MG1 and MG2 with the Prius gen three inverter controlling both with only one resolver, mg1 will not be in sync with MG2 resolver. if only there was a ways to use two separate resolver's for both motors other wise i will only be able to use MG2 instead of both, might even have to run two inverters, anyone here have a solution that could help me? without welding both planetary gear sets?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Asking for advice on the Toyota P314 transmission, looks like I will need two revolver connections on the open inverter Prius gen three control board, due to the gear set on the transmission if I weld the plant gears like in a gen two Prius the ratio is the same but on the P314 the Generator to Traction Motor is 1.05 retentions, so isn’t a good ideal to use the traction motor resolver if it both motors aren’t timed together, is there anyway to use two resolver sin/cos connections on the board? With mod wires?

Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

You're going to need two brains and thus two separate resolver circuits -- unless you can synchronize the two motors perfectly. If you line them up well enough you should be totally fine with one brain and one resolver.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Isaac96 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:06 pm You're going to need two brains and thus two separate resolver circuits -- unless you can synchronize the two motors perfectly. If you line them up well enough you should be totally fine with one brain and one resolver.
I would recommend first you use one brain to drive the MG2 and the second brain to freewheel the MG1 so it doesnt create too much drag. After you get to know both motors more, then you use two signals from Mazda Rx8 throttle pedal (yes both signals are 5V level) and try to drive the two motors. Since both part of inverter are isolated motors should be fine with torque mode of control. Torque from both will just add up.

I still need to try two sides of Volt inverter and two motors :).
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Okay, I may remove the generator. Sure wished I had known this before building the car rear subframe around this transaxle. I will try to make it work
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dylan Witt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm Okay, I may remove the generator. Sure wished I had known this before building the car rear subframe around this transaxle. I will try to make it work
Yes that could work.
But i dont think you need to do anything. You just put all of MG1 phase wires in short and MG1 will remain stationary. Tried that yet? What happens? Can you rotate the wheels forward at the same torque by hand?

Is your TX equipped with chain belt or the new double gearset?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

arber333 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Dylan Witt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm Okay, I may remove the generator. Sure wished I had known this before building the car rear subframe around this transaxle. I will try to make it work
Yes that could work.
But i dont think you need to do anything. You just put all of MG1 phase wires in short and MG1 will remain stationary. Tried that yet? What happens? Can you rotate the wheels forward at the same torque by hand?

Is your TX equipped with chain belt or the new double gearset?
it is the new gear set, 8.00-1 ratio. motor spins a bit over 8 times to the axles one
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Has anyone figured out the secret in tuning the gen three Prius inverter? I’m still stuck in the same place I was like a month ago, I’m running a 140 volt battery for testing. Then will switch to four Prius batteries 225 volt batteries to drive the car up to highway speeds. But can’t do any of this without proper inverter tuning
rooster

Post by rooster »

Come-on hurry up, I bought my RX8 to copy your project a few weeks ago.

How can I help ?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Well Crap!!!!!!!!!
Openinverter FOC Tuning. i have drove my self crazy.
i hate guess work. wrote down wiring connections for the Prius Gen 3 to the P314 transmission for my electric mazda, now after finding the exciter wiring and resolver wiring, i now have tried over 16 different combinations for the resolver winding, anyways i keep getting a crazy 180-260 degree jump on the angle sensor of the open inverter gen three prius board, now my question, has anyone figured this wiring mess out?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Figured out the problem, had to unwired my original mess, found out it was using encoder channel 2 instead of the cos input, known should be able to retest since both sin and cos wires are correct on the openinverter board. Will update after christmas on results.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

ImageUpdate. Electric mazda rx8 is rolling under it's own power. Prius gen three inverter, damien's control board, 2015 toyota avalon hybrid transaxle. I will post the video tomorrow. I was wiring it wrong the entire time. Sometimes it takes awhile before the right ideal comes to life. Well in my case over three months and now we have throttle response, motor positioning, and we will be driving only on 54 volts tomorrow as a test run.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

My Mazda is Driving. Open inverter software from the help of this community. Thank you all.

johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Great progress!
It seems kind of loud or is that just your camera?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Johu, it is loud, I still have the floor cut out, but not sure why it would be making more noise, the camera does pick up alot more noise than normal. Thank you for the information and the research you all do with these.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dylan Witt wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:50 am Johu, it is loud, I still have the floor cut out, but not sure why it would be making more noise, the camera does pick up alot more noise than normal. Thank you for the information and the research you all do with these.
You dont use transmission do you?
A friends RX8 with Leaf motor and original transmission makes a lot of noise in 3rd gear but less in others. Wankel engine must be using 3rd gear a lot apparently...
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

well, i have the battery's for the Electric RX-8 conversion. will be reconfiguring these to a 100ah only 47s at the moment until i can buy another prius prime plug in hybrid battery, rough voltage until i can get the other battery will be 192 full charge and nearing 164 volts at almost 30 % charge.
Attachments
20210503_004217.jpg
20210501_155508.jpg
20210501_193643.jpg
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Will be adding the dual motor board to the mazda soon. Along side the batterys. This car should be good for 100 miles with some other features.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

angusmf

Post by angusmf »

Cool!
Patreon supporter and mild troublemaker. You can be both.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

well guys, the electric rx8 is driving with the Prius Prime battery, but i have an issue, im only able to accelerate to 50mph using a 192 volt battery, the battery is capible of 800 amps, but im just wondering if i need more feild weakining or just add the second set of batterys to get my voltage up to 285 volts, this should actully help to keep my amperage low and give me more speed, at this moment i have two gen three inverters, one is running the dual motor control board and the other is the single motor board. im in the middle of tearing out the transmission to weld the planatry gears to connect both motor. and as of this moment i have a broken axle, still tryin got find someone who can make custom cv axles