GS450H Discussion

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
PatrcioEV-ATX

Re: GS450H Discussion

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

xp677 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:48 pm I programmed a rudimentary cruise control which just compares current speed to target speed, determines a suitable pedal position, and sets that position if the actual pedal position is lower. No idea if it works, also would need proportional control.
Can you share your code for that? I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction of sending certain parameters to an Arduino over CAN and then sending different values over Throt2 to implement cruise.
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Test sample of the ring for permanently locking the high range was cut from PVC plastic. Laser wasn't really accurate(cheap model for advertisement production) and burned a little too much into the ring, but measurements seems to be taken correctly, so here dxf file for those who interested. You need to make a 32mm pack of this rings, preferably from some sort of 2-3mm thick stainless steel. Or make half of them and replace only rings with outer teeth.
20211005_140802 (1).jpg
HIGH_RANGE.dxf
(664.76 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
xp677

Post by xp677 »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:28 pm
xp677 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:48 pm I programmed a rudimentary cruise control which just compares current speed to target speed, determines a suitable pedal position, and sets that position if the actual pedal position is lower. No idea if it works, also would need proportional control.
Can you share your code for that? I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction of sending certain parameters to an Arduino over CAN and then sending different values over Throt2 to implement cruise.
Hi, yes I can, note that it is not for Damiens VCU, it's for my own board which the VCU was later based off. But the differences should be obvious.
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

xp677 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:37 pm
PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Hi, yes I can, note that it is not for Damiens VCU, it's for my own board which the VCU was later based off. But the differences should be obvious.
Much appreciated! This is almost exactly the direction I was working towards - just better. You have a lot more safety checks built in to your programming too.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
Markos

Post by Markos »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:59 pm Someone needs to just give it a shot (won't be me sorry!).
For those interested in oil pressure here's one from the back catalog :
What is the reason that the external electric pump is needed when the internal mechanical pump works driven by MG2? Or is the driveshaft not locked in this video and is the mechanical pump only driven by MG2 because the input shaft will also rotate when MG2 spins? Or something else? :)
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Markos wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:09 pm What is the reason that the external electric pump is needed when the internal mechanical pump works driven by MG2?
The mechanical oil pump is driven by the input shaft, so if that is locked (as required to get motive tq from MG1), there would be no fluid available to the transmission for lubrication.

Damien goes into great detail in the video below (~55-60 minutes in for the lube pumps)

Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
Markos

Post by Markos »

ZooKeeper wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:10 pm
Markos wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:09 pm What is the reason that the external electric pump is needed when the internal mechanical pump works driven by MG2?
The mechanical oil pump is driven by the input shaft, so if that is locked (as required to get motive tq from MG1), there would be no fluid available to the transmission for lubrication.

Damien goes into great detail in the video below (~55-60 minutes in for the lube pumps)

Yes that was what I understood, but then I saw that video where Damien said it was driven by MG2 so I was a bit confused. However, I now see the video is much older than the post it was embedded in. So I guess the input shaft wasn't locked there so the side effect of turning MG2 was also turning the input shaft and with that the internal oil pump.

Sorry for my confusion, I should have opened the video and check the date.
ggeter

Post by ggeter »

Dumb question, and sorry if already answered, but if mg1 not locked up, can one use mg2 for power and let mg1 pump?
Houston, Texas, USA
EV Newbie
1979 MG Midget + GS450h = "Mexus?"
IT Consultant
Markos

Post by Markos »

ggeter wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:49 am Dumb question, and sorry if already answered, but if mg1 not locked up, can one use mg2 for power and let mg1 pump?
If I'm right, the mechanical pump is connected to the ring gear (green) of MG1. If the engine (blue) is locked and MG1 (yellow) turns, then the ring gear will turn and I would say the mechanical pump would also turn. But I think the pro's here can give the correct answer.
I'm not right :) see konstantin8818's below
catphish

Post by catphish »

I am looking at programming ratio shifting on the GS450H and I'm trying to understand the relationship between the following:
* High and low ratio
* Brake 1 and Brake 2
* Solenoid 1 and Solenoid 2

Specifically, does anyone know which solenoid(s) should be energized for low ratio, and which for high ratio? Once I know this, I'm hoping I can get the correct timing for smooth shifts.

Edit: I just realised this is actually the original question of this thread, but I'm not sure that it was answered with any certainty.

This diagram leads me to believe that only one solenoid should be engaged, but several others seem to be operating them as a pair. It would be great if anyone could clear up my confusion here.
L110F+HYBRID+TRANSMISSION_2stageOutput.jpg
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Markos wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:45 pm If I'm right, the mechanical pump is connected to the ring gear (green) of MG1. If the engine (blue) is locked and MG1 (yellow) turns, then the ring gear will turn and I would say the mechanical pump would also turn. But I think the pro's here can give the correct answer.
Watch my post at previous page. Mechanical pump connected to blue part, wich is ICE input. If you go same way as Damien, locking up input shaft, then you need external oil pump. I'm now at process of locking planetary carrier, to use original mechanical oil pump. Only one issue is it won't work while in reverse, so I need to lock mechanically one of the gear ranges.
NiHaoMike

Post by NiHaoMike »

It looks like if the ring gears are welded in place, MG1 would have a direct coupling to the wheels allowing MG1 to provide reverse.
My first solar power system helped Naomi Wu, now I want to do even more with DIY solar.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

NiHaoMike wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 am It looks like if the ring gears are welded in place, MG1 would have a direct coupling to the wheels allowing MG1 to provide reverse.
This somehow passed by my head at the first place :idea: Yup, seems like no need for locking ring, but you need to energize on of range solenoids. Clutch discs will only slightly wear out by MG2 while building up the speed from stand still.
However I don't want any additional electrinics to work inside my gearbox and high range seems to be enough for lightweight vehicle, so I'll stay with locking ring, atleast for testing purpose.
NiHaoMike

Post by NiHaoMike »

Might it be possible to use a fuel pump as the electric oil pump?
My first solar power system helped Naomi Wu, now I want to do even more with DIY solar.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

NiHaoMike wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:07 am Might it be possible to use a fuel pump as the electric oil pump?
I believe ATF is not good for every type of pumps. This fuel pump also has to be high pressure, 100psi = 6.8 bar.
Anyway, only real time testing will say if it any good.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Diesel, gasoline and ATF are all very similar in terms of pumping, I have used "fuel" pumps to pump all three fluid types with great success.

If we are not "shifting" between high and low, not much pressure should be needed for forced lube, although certainly designed to have it.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

I skimmed this thread and did not catch the part numbers for the Engine/Transmission harness so I would like to share what I have recently learned when buying mine, I hope you don't mind, I also would like to share a link to me going through the detailed steps of "thinning" it out which I posted on the DIY Electric Car forum (I am still a little bit intimidated to post here on the accounts of lack of smarts and all, ha ha) 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S powered Electruck

ok so a little background, my transmission and inverted are both from the same 2010 Lexus GS450H, and this harness is from a 2008

now check this out and you tell me if this makes any sense to you guys:

Part Name: Engine Wire
Harness Part # 82121-30E21 is for 2007-2010 (this is the one I bought)​
$1,369 at the local Stealership​

Harness Part # 82121-30E22 is for 2009-2011​ (based on my VIN I actually need this one, but the other plugs in to the transmission just fine)
$1,366 at the local Stealership​

the large rectangular plugs on this harness plug into the Engine Control Module ECM / Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU which appears to be one and the same small metal box with two connectors on it

as mentioned before by some others, this harness does NOT include the INVERTER plug, that plug comes on a different harness, this harness actually directly plugs into the other harness, I have that information as well, but one thing at a time

and here it is all thinned out to just the sections we need
Attachments
IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5598.JPG
IMG_5668.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Gregski wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 pm I skimmed this thread and did not catch the part numbers for the Engine/Transmission harness so I would like to share what I have recently learned when buying mine, I hope you don't mind, I also would like to share a link to me going through the detailed steps of "thinning" it out which I posted on the DIY Electric Car forum (I am still a little bit intimidated to post here on the accounts of lack of smarts and all, ha ha) 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S powered Electruck

ok so a little background, my transmission and inverted are both from the same 2010 Lexus GS450H, and this harness is from a 2008

now check this out and you tell me if this makes any sense to you guys:

Harness Part # 82121-30E21 is for 2007-2010 (this is the one I bought)​
$1,369 at the local Stealership​

Harness Part # 82121-30E22 is for 2009-2011​ (based on my VIN I actually need this one, but the other plugs in to the transmission just fine)
$1,366 at the local Stealership​

the large rectangular plugs on this harness plug into the Engine Control Module ECM / Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU which appears to be one and the same small metal box with two connectors on it

as mentioned before by some others, this harness does NOT include the INVERTER plug, that plug comes on a different harness, this harness actually directly plugs into the other harness, I have that information as well, but one thing at a time

and here it is all thinned out to just the sections we need
Nice! Looks like yours includes the VSS connector too. That could be helpful depending on how you plan to drive your speedo/odo. Yeah, I nearly sliced the end of my thumb off getting down to the simple, bare necessities on that harness! It's now numb on the very tip. I don't think anyone has found the harness with the inverter plug (I could be wrong), so great if you have that PN. My local Lexus dealership couldn't find it. Fortunately, my inverter came with it attached!
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:11 pm Nice! Looks like yours includes the VSS connector too. That could be helpful depending on how you plan to drive your speedo/odo. Yeah, I nearly sliced the end of my thumb off getting down to the simple, bare necessities on that harness! It's now numb on the very tip. I don't think anyone has found the harness with the inverter plug (I could be wrong), so great if you have that PN. My local Lexus dealership couldn't find it. Fortunately, my inverter came with it attached!
Yes I fully intend to try to do something with the VSS signal in terms of a speedo especially since I am converting a 1971 GMC/Chevy truck, I was planning on converting the Damien VCU MG1 Speed gauge to a Speedometer as I really don't care how fast MG1 is spinning, but I have no idea how to do it yet, I have a companion thread called Any Isabellenhütte IVT-S Ninjas on here? where I am making a fool of myself trying to figure out how to do just that
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

in the diagram below the TEAL harness is the Inverter Harness and the OLIVE harness is the Transmission harness the arrow points to how and where they plug in directly into each other (no intermediate box involved)

their proper names are:

Engine Room Main Wire - this is the Inverter harness

Engine Wire - which is the engine and transmission harness that we need and has the part numbers I listed in the previous post this harness has two rectangular plugs of which the larger one plugs into the Engine Control Module ECM, and a smaller one plugs in to the same box but they call that plug Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Junction 1.jpg
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

I've fabricated that locking ring for high range, I've shared here before, from solid piece of aluminum.
It fits like a glove. :)
20211102_160546.jpg
20211103_123441.jpg
20211103_123728.jpg
ggeter

Post by ggeter »

Mother of god... When my pump fails, I'll be reaching out... Watching the space very closely.
Houston, Texas, USA
EV Newbie
1979 MG Midget + GS450h = "Mexus?"
IT Consultant
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

this is the Inverter harness, officially called Engine Room Main Wire part numbers:

82111-30K62 fits 2008-2009
costs $7,144 new

82111-30K64 fits 2010​
costs $6,341 new

IMG_5958.JPG
The Resolver plugs from the transmission harness plug in directly into the Inverter harness like so
IMG_5917 labeled.jpg
if you can prevent the seller from just cutting off the pig tail and get them to unwrap about 18" away from the Inverter plug then the Resolver plugs come with the Inverter plug like so
IMG_5976.JPG
and if you unwrap just a little more you won't cut the brown wires that simply loop back on themselves, so the actual remaining Inverter Plug wiring is not that much that runs to the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU larger plug.
IMG_5986.JPG
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6119.JPG
the full anatomy of this harness can be viewed here: 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S powered Electruck
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

konstantin8818 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:08 pm I've fabricated that locking ring for high range, I've shared here before, from solid piece of aluminum.
It fits like a glove. :)
SWEET! I am certain this is superior to my (alternate) plan of just filling that space with J-B Weld :D
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

ZooKeeper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:17 am SWEET! I am certain this is superior to my (alternate) plan of just filling that space with J-B Weld :D
I just had an option of milling this part for free. It is less costly to cut those from 2mm stainless steel with laser and replace only metal clutch rings.
Atleast now I'm absolutely certain that this part will fit where it belongs.