Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
kalebludlow

Re: Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Post by kalebludlow »

Bigpie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 am I've scored an inverted from ebay for £90 but it doesn't come with the ampseal connector. Any one got any leads on a supplier?
I'm gonna go down to my local parts supplier next week and see what they say, hopefully they can give me some idea of where I can go
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

If you intend on using my logic board you don't need the toyota connector just a standard ampseal 35 way which I will supply with the full kit option.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Ahh excellent. I have one of your boards on order :D

It's worth noting, there's a lot of inverters on eBay at a high price, but have been listed for months and ripe for negotiations.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Taking a look at the Gen 3 prius dcdc today. Based on the work By Mouse it seems to share the same hv voltage detection circuit as the Yaris albeit the logic board is mounted on a ribbon cable to the power board instead of all on one. Anyway , found the two networks of 4x 120k in series with a 5k1. Based on Mouse's calcs that would put a voltage of 2.47v on the 5k1 at 235vdc input. Changing these to 210k would give 2.44v on the 5k1 at 405vdc on the input.

Also seems the prius uses 1uF 400v poly caps for smoothing so decided to order some 450v replacements. Will do the mods and report back once the parts arrive.
Attachments
2020-05-14 14.31.20.jpg
2020-05-14 14.31.12.jpg
2020-05-14 14.31.05.jpg
2020-05-14 14.30.53.jpg
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

So at home I have access to 415v 3PH 60A service, will the charging circuitry in the Prius inverters (Auris specifically) be able to handle levels like this?
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

Recently,
the inverter from aqua burned out.
I have a question -
how to dispose of it? Just throw it away? or hand over to a processing plant?.

I mean, does it have the right parts?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Well folks the numbers are in and the internet was wrong!!

Prius Gen 3 MG2 power stage shuts down at 500amps. Yes 500amps.
Attachments
2020-06-01 16.07.26.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pm Prius Gen 3 MG2 power stage shuts down at 500amps. Yes 500amps.
Fabulous :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah. Had a guy on instagram yesterday tell me its only good for 100amps. He just knew this for fact of course. No need to test.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pmPrius Gen 3 MG2 power stage shuts down at 500amps. Yes 500amps.
Good lord.

Gen2 MG2 shut down at 350A.

Whelp, there's a big feather in the cap of the Gen 3.

400hp. Out of half of a Prius inverter.

Wiki updated.
Yeah. Had a guy on instagram yesterday tell me its only good for 100amps. He just knew this for fact of course.
You should keep a whiteboard in the shop, of Damien vs. The World.

You can be like the lie-detector episodes of daytime trash TV, Maury. "You said you were faithful to your wife when she was away on a trip, the lie detector determined THAT was a lie. You said you didn't get her sister pregnant, the lie detector determined THAT was a lie. You said you've never stolen her underwear and worn it out to the bar, the lie detector determined THAT was a lie."

Eflyers

Post by Eflyers »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pm Well folks the numbers are in and the internet was wrong!!

Prius Gen 3 MG2 power stage shuts down at 500amps. Yes 500amps.

Are you sure this isn't a graph of how much overwork stress, answering repeated stupid questions, and trying NOT turn this into a business before you shut down?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Its been amazing reading some comments on line after I posted about this. Its like the Borg, they just adapt to keep pushing the same crap in the face of evidence to the contrary. I really don't understand why. Is it ignorance, general prius hate or something else?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 am Its been amazing reading some comments on line after I posted about this. Its like the Borg, they just adapt to keep pushing the same crap in the face of evidence to the contrary. I really don't understand why. Is it ignorance, general prius hate or something else?
Got to factor in vested interests... ultra low cost conversions are 'dangerous' to anyone selling expensive new or converted electric cars :shock:
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I guess the reason number one is that these questions have for the most part been answered in the forum before and although the threads are long and the info might be buried the person has not bothered to find it. Wikis help with that but someone needs to do it.
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 am ultra low cost conversions
All we are missing now is a motor that can take advantage of all this power that is also cheap :P
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Board arrived today, cheers Damien. I've been soldering it up and taking close up photos as I go. I'll write up and add to the wiki to augment the video. The 50 way connector was a pain. I understand why you've jacked in the fully assembled boards :D
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
invokeperformance

Post by invokeperformance »

Bigpie wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 pm Board arrived today, cheers Damien. I've been soldering it up and taking close up photos as I go. I'll write up and add to the wiki to augment the video. The 50 way connector was a pain. I understand why you've jacked in the fully assembled boards :D
Bigpie thanks for sharing. I plan to order my gen 3 board very soon also so I would love to see your findings!! Cheers
arber333

Post by arber333 »

kalebludlow wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 pm
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 am ultra low cost conversions
All we are missing now is a motor that can take advantage of all this power that is also cheap :P
I have Outlander rear motor here waiting to be fitted into some vehicle. Preferably Audi A2. If we can get CAN torque control with original inverter then ok, if not Auris inverter is the way to go.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Dilbert, did you do any more on the prius inverter control signals? Looks like I might finally get a test bench going.
vin

Post by vin »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 pm It requires a duty. If you look at the circuit diagram on the github for the logic board it should make sense. It defaults to 14v with no control signal.

also see here for gen 2 : http://nicjam.es/how-to-turn-on-the-gen ... converter/
Hi Damien,

It seams that this link is broken, any chance of replacing it please? Basically I'm trying to find operation voltage for the Gen 2 DC to DC, not sure if my wiring is wrong or it's protecting itself. I'm testing the bear inverter without VCU and starting from scratch again on this.

Thanks
zilion

Post by zilion »

vin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:25 pm It seams that this link is broken, any chance of replacing it please?
https://nicjam.es/projects/how-to-turn- ... er-module/
I smell lithium in the air. It's not lithium, it's glycolium.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Has anyone noted what the maximum voltage of the Auris inverter battery side capacitor is? Prius is 400V, Yaris is 350V(?), but what does the Auris have?
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

celeron55 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:54 am Has anyone noted what the maximum voltage of the Auris inverter battery side capacitor is? Prius is 400V, Yaris is 350V(?), but what does the Auris have?
My understanding was that Auris and Yaris are identical in terms of actual components
NiHaoMike

Post by NiHaoMike »

What's the mapping of the power board temperature signal voltages to temperature?
My first solar power system helped Naomi Wu, now I want to do even more with DIY solar.