Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Stephen Darbey

Re: Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Thanks for that. There goes my chances of an easy gen 3 completed inverter.

Stephen
SDev
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Do we need to start a table of part numbers of different inverters and which year / model they are from?

I tried looking at the toyota parts catalog earlier to see if I could identify inverter part numbers. From what I can tell there was some interchangeability between some models over the different years.

Auris 2012 G9200-47141
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Boards now available on the webshop once again:
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm Boards now available on the webshop once again:
Im very glad that is succeeded, about a year of waiting but im been patient. Not matter that it even will not be stand bolt-on, not of sure if I can reroute it under my implemetation needs of AQUA's inverter to make order for only one PCB fabrication...
Congratulation Damien, you make the things that many people can only dream about. And of course I congratulate all those who suffer in expectations and desires.

I will order immediately, it cool stuff i guess

Is it safe to buy from a guest account? I'm used to being a member
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

*I cant create an account :x
NiHaoMike

Post by NiHaoMike »

If I'm running the inverter well below its rating (as I will be doing for my PV inverter project), could I use mineral oil in the cooling loop or are there seals that might leak with oil? I would prefer not to have water based coolant next to a bunch of mains wiring.
My first solar power system helped Naomi Wu, now I want to do even more with DIY solar.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

PatrykS wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am I have Yaris inverter and may help in that, any suggestions how to start?
I'm in the same boat and started a 'Yaris Inverter?' thread to see if anyone was going down this path but so far it hasn't had much interest.

This series of videos shows the process Damien went through to get the pinout of the 50 pin connector. It shows the method of approach to reverse engineering and is very educational if you've got the time to go through them in their entirety.

As I've got a Yaris inverter I may look into trying to duplicate the pin out reverse engineering work as I have some time off work coming up real soon. Especially as I've got a few of the unobtainium 50 pin connectors and a breakout board which is most probably labelled wrong for the yaris.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Hm...

Untill now i havent found nothing that could refute basic signals of the 50pin connector are the same as on Prius board.
1. I tried to appply a signal to boost transistor and it opened. The same to buck switch.
2. I applied +/-5V supply and i get correct voltage signal for both sides of inductor.
3. I see a pin where fault signal would have to be and it is 5V high!

Things i didnt try...
4. I still have to verify power stage thermistors
5. Also i would have to measure the signal or both 3phase power stage halfh bridges
6. Didnt verify power stage fault signals

I am not sure why would power stage signals be different?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm Boards now available on the webshop once again
Whoa, good price! Now i'm so itchy I'm not gonna sleep until I'll sell my curtis controller and related motor to buy prius parts and your board :cry:
The only thing I want to make clear: is this board able to interact with gen 2 transaxle resolver, or it works without resolver signal?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks Arber. I'll have another look I just seemed to remember them being different for some reason but I dream about inverters these days so may have gotten it confused. I have setup a seperate thread for the opensource logic board. Let's keep this focused on hacking the inverters / reverse engineering and figuring out the control signals for the oem board.
sprocketman

Post by sprocketman »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm Boards now available on the webshop once again:
Good work on the boards.

Do you include the extra components required to finish the boards if the partialy completed boards are purchased?

Thanks

Andrew
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 amI have setup a seperate thread for the opensource logic board. Let's keep this focused on hacking the inverters / reverse engineering and figuring out the control signals for the oem board.
You've still linked here from your webshop, not to the new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=488 -- Prius Gen 3 Support thread, where support questions go now.

https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... rd-partial -- Page that needs "Forum" link changed so it no longer points here.

https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... ilt-tested -- Another page that needs the "Forum" link changed so it no longer points here.

I presume when you change those that it'll change everywhere that item appears too.
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

Iv made some mess, as I understand the corrections so that nothing props are already made?

in general, everything is fine

and a question: will there be new deliveries with a modification for aqua such as hole offset and flat connector? If they are, then I will wait
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

Aquinax wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:38 am and a question: will there be new deliveries with a modification for aqua such as hole offset and flat connector? If they are, then I will wait
How much is the difference between the aqua board and the prius?
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

Alexstarex wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pmHow much is the difference between the aqua board and the prius?

* unsuitable when the board hangs on two bolts and the wires are not in the clips, vibration is a scary force ;)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Picked up another gen 3 inverter on ebay today as I had destroyed my own logic board during the reverse engineering. Once that turns up I'll get it wired to hte transaxle on the bench and see what we can get happening.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Is there somewhere useful a cross reference table can be made of Toyota Gen3 inverter part numbers and their related vehicle models so that folks can expand it when a new one is dissected for inspection?

Like Aquinax and Alexstarex I've ended up with different but similar Gen3 inverter. A Yaris 2017 inverter to be exact which appears to be externally similar to the Prius Gen3 inverters but has a different logic board. However the logic board part number is the same as the one recently listed in this thread. Having a central look up list of what is from where would help folks make purchasing decisions and compatibility options.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Aquinax wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:35 pm suitable when the board hangs on two bolts and the wires are not in the clips, vibration is a scary force ;)
When I offered up a paper printout of the replacement logic board to the similarly sized Yaris internal chassis it looked entirely feasible to drill through and bolt some PCB spacers to the plastic parts to fit the larger PCB holes rather than need a whole different revision of PCB.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Please update the wiki with inverter model numbers the board fits https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen3_Board so far it's only got one part number.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

Mouse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:09 pm
Aquinax wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:35 pm suitable when the board hangs on two bolts and the wires are not in the clips, vibration is a scary force ;)
When I offered up a paper printout of the replacement logic board to the similarly sized Yaris internal chassis it looked entirely feasible to drill through and bolt some PCB spacers to the plastic parts to fit the larger PCB holes rather than need a whole different revision of PCB.
bro, you offer crutches! you don’t want them to let you down even not far away from home?

* I didn't knew that there is a about gen 3 prius in the wiki
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Here you go: proof that most Yaris boards are the same.
IMG_20200123_175410.jpg
In other news i have this Auris inverter and it has the same mainboard as Yaris. Seems reasonable.
IMG_20200123_175554.jpg
Like i explained here difference is probably in transistor density and main cap. When i too it apart i found out Yaris has many internal contacts separated that Auris and Prius have on main cap. Otherwise everything functions the same way on both inverters.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=257&start=10#p3098
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So am I off designing a Yaris/Auris board then ?:)
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

So for comparision I'm sending also pictures from Yaris inverter, but another one G9200-52032.
IMG_2357_m.jpg
Looks, that inside is board with the same description, so probably will be the same?
IMG_2358.JPG
Here is also second board, maybe will be usefull for someone.
IMG_2359.JPG
If I can also check something for comparision with another boards - I'm waiting for questions.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 pm Please update the wiki with inverter model numbers the board fits https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen3_Board so far it's only got one part number.
Thanks for the pointer.
I've made a table and entered the vital details of the inverter I have plus a the one listed just above this post and another that Damien just posted on the Gen3 thread but don't have the energy to go trawling through the forum spotting other serial numbers.
Hopefully it will turn into a useful reference for compatibility especially the differing long / short PCB mounting holes.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I'm not sure what the model numbers are supposed to be.

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Pr ... el_Numbers

Are you guys saying that everything with those model numbers are equivalent inverters and cross-compatible?

Or are they just things you want to check and see if they're compatible?