Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Prius Gen3 Inverter Hacking

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Aquinax wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:49 pm How much by the way?
Please read Damien's post again and then have a think...
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 pm The boards will be tested. Errors if found corrected. Webshop and github will then be updated and videos made.

:!: I think it's important for everyone here to think a little more about the reality of open source development for Damien. He posted today's updates less than five hours after getting off a night ferry from the UK where we attended the Fully Charged Show briefing and purchased a Lexus GS450H for testing purposes. This is after a month in which he received hundreds of communications from people desperate to buy the new boards (many asking the same question on multiple different platforms in the hope he'd respond). After two heart attacks I think the very least we can do as members of the Open Inverter 'community' is read his posts and minimise our demands on his time and energy.
IMG-20200116-WA0003.jpg
IMG_20200116_184126.jpg
IMG-20191018-WA0000_2.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Thank you Damien for the pioneering work and thank you Kevin for taking some of the load off of Damien. Thank you Johu for starting all this.

Thank you arber333 and all others for filling in blanks and discussing all the relevant topics.

I am very excited about this movement and community and hope to contribute along with learning and converting myself.

I know that everyone is excited and really impatient but distracting people who are already overloaded is not helpful. Much better would be wikipediang the shit out of your own journey and discoveries so that the questions everyone keeps asking are documented.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

This is after a month in which he received hundreds of communications from people desperate to buy the new boards (many asking the same question on multiple different platforms in the hope he'd respond).
I think generally that's not the people here. At least, they don't act that way here.

Probably a healthy portion of those that seem pushy might also just be enthusiastic. And they can't see that there's a hundred others asking similar questions.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

I finally logged the REQ line along with the comms data, looks similar enough to what was seen before. Although it looks like one transfer is aligned with one edge of the REQ line and the other transfer is aligned with the other edge.

D1 = MTH Data (120 bytes) (Happens first on one edge of the REQ signal))
D2 = HTM Data (100 bytes) (happens second on next edge of REQ signal)
Yellow = REQ Line (CAN+ Side)
Attachments
req_line.png
req_line.png (5.99 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So first look at the new Prius Gen 3 from JLC.

First, my mistakes :
1)D1,D2 and D3 incorrect polarity
2)R28 needs to be 1k not 330R as the red led that JLC use looks like a 5Watt laser at 10mA (The goggles,they do nothing).
3)LED2 and LED3 missing from BOM.
4)R52 (100R) missing from BOM.
5)C26 330uF 25V cap on the 26V line......not a good idea:)
6)Need to have a notch indication on the silkscreen for Conn2 and Conn9 (current sensor connections). Towards top of pcb.
7) The 5v power supply section will need to move to the center of the board as the main smoothing cap and 470uH inductor are fouling on current sensor mounting plastic.
8)I'd forgotten the Prius inverter is much happier at 4.4kHz than 8.8 so need to change filter caps on resolver amp.

Now the good news. Everything that JLC did is perfect. The inverter stage programmed and runs perfectly. Ditto the atmega328 for boost converter control. No wrong parts, no solder mess etc.

Full power up test on the inverter went fine. Pumping out pwm, reading the inputs, current sensors etc. Next phase will be fitting the inverter case back together and running a motor.
Attachments
2020-01-18 12.08.58.jpg
2020-01-18 12.08.52.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

On the GEN3 protocol, it looks like the MG1 toreque command could be in the same position. Here's a graph of an engine start.
Attachments
engine start.PNG
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

It looks like there's two HTM frames sent to init the inverter.
Attachments
htm_init_inverter.csv
(904 Bytes) Downloaded 105 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Great work Dilbert.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Yea it looks like the engine ran for 10 minutes to warm up and top off the battery. Its interesting that they are possibly modulating the torque, i wonder are they trying to keep the charging rate of the battery constant. Then it steps down before engine shut off...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So with a little hacking of the plastic current sensor mount it all fits. Once the terminal blocks turn up I'll complete the board and start testing.
Attachments
2020-01-18 13.37.40.jpg
2020-01-18 13.38.33.jpg
2020-01-18 13.37.28.jpg
2020-01-18 13.30.46.jpg
2020-01-18 13.30.12.jpg
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

Made like a factory. indistinguishable.
Super
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

Damien - as you're going to modify the board (moving capacitor and inductor) is there a chance you will add Aquinox modifications (additional holes for screws) to fit also Yaris inverter?
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

PatrykS wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:20 pm Damien - as you're going to modify the board (moving capacitor and inductor) is there a chance you will add Aquinox modifications (additional holes for screws) to fit also Yaris inverter?
Yes, it’s not an unnecessary idea, and in addition to offset holes, some connectors are lying instead of standing
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The board will be redesigned to move the parts that foul on the case. Stuff like this is the very reason I didn't just dump the design files out in public:)

Regards the Yaris / Auris board this will need to be a new design. Not just because the size / hole placements and different current sensor connectors but mainly because the 50 way connector to the igbt board uses a different pinout to the prius. One thing that people could do to accelerate the process would be to work out the pinout.
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:51 amRegards the Yaris / Auris board this will need to be a new design. Not just because the size / hole placements and different current sensor connectors but mainly because the 50 way connector to the igbt board uses a different pinout to the prius.
Sad news - why they're doing that? :-( Are you sure Auris has different pinout than Prius? Board is the same as I heard.
Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:51 amOne thing that people could do to accelerate the process would be to work out the pinout.
I have Yaris inverter and may help in that, any suggestions how to start?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I am already working on auris/yaris charger and first I was stumped. I setup everything and started to run the boost section, but inverter would just tik at me.

I belive you would have to use damiens first prius board which has separated outputs. I will try applying 300v DC to battery input and control transistors...
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

One more idea regarding Prius and Yaris support on the same board - we can have two places for that "unobtainium" connector and mount one or another (matching used inverter). As of now we could also use Prius board (one connector, but with additional holes for screws) and switch wires in the cable - the one coming from Yaris IGBT board.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

PatrykS wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 pm One more idea regarding Prius and Yaris support on the same board - we can have two places for that "unobtainium" connector and mount one or another (matching used inverter). As of now we could also use Prius board (one connector, but with additional holes for screws) and switch wires in the cable - the one coming from Yaris IGBT board.
Yeah... good luck about that. I dont think changing wires in white connector was Toyota engineers idea when they designed it.

But i would like to make a comparison. Does anyone have a Prius (not Auris) main board with white connector removed? I would like to see a closeup photo of the area nder the connector to compare to my Yaris/Auris board. See my Auris board closeup.
Attachments
IMG_20200119_173508.jpg
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

arber333 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:37 pmYeah... good luck about that. I dont think changing wires in white connector was Toyota engineers idea when they designed it.
Neither was replacing they're board with open source one :-) What I mean is cutting the wires in that cable between white connectors and connecting them as necessary.
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Yes I have a 2014 Auris inverter. I will take photo of Id label and post, to check. I hoped it was the same as Prius (inside)
SDev
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Ah. I have some on my phone.
Attachments
20191227_135840.jpg
20191123_154540.jpg
SDev
arber333

Post by arber333 »

No Prius has larger main board than Auris and Yaris.
I would like to see if Prius PCB top layer in connector area is any different from Auris/Yaris one.
What i have posted is Yaris board and it is totally the same as Auris board.
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

That's very disappointing. It does however explain what it was considerably cheaper

Thanks
Stephen
SDev
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

jnsaff wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm Thank you Damien for the pioneering work and thank you Kevin for taking some of the load off of Damien. Thank you Johu for starting all this.

Thank you arber333 and all others for filling in blanks and discussing all the relevant topics.

I am very excited about this movement and community and hope to contribute along with learning and converting myself.

I know that everyone is excited and really impatient but distracting people who are already overloaded is not helpful. Much better would be wikipediang the shit out of your own journey and discoveries so that the questions everyone keeps asking are documented.
That chap is right. Take a week off, Jack. Take that Lexus for a spin around the Ring Of Kerry and bring herself.
Regards
Stephen
SDev
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

Stephen Darbey wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 pm Yes I have a 2014 Auris inverter. I will take photo of Id label and post, to check. I hoped it was the same as Prius (inside)
Only the inverter from a Toyota aqua is similar to a prius