Jack Bauer

Re: Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

RMS phase current.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

So as I understand it, this board currently uses MG2 for traction motor and MG1 for charging. Is there any plans to have both MG1+2 be available for the traction motor? Or how hard would it be to add the necessary components myself into another board or something? Have a Gen2 transaxle in the mail and will be ordering my gen3 Prius C inverter (Yaris hybrid is known as Prius C in Australia) and was hoping to use both motors. I was also brainstorming and was wondering if it would be possible to allow use of both MG1 for traction and charging through some contactors and stuff, obviously not at the same time :P
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Please see attached schematic for new rev of prius gen 3 logic board.

Changes :

1- Boost converter based charger atmega328 pinout now as requested by celeron55. Includes evse control and can bus connections.

2- added optional resistors to allow parallel drive of MG1 and MG2 power stages for experiments with dual motor and / or increased current output.

3 -Changed resolver exciter to TDA2822 (ripped of Johannes design yet again)

4 - added resistors to allow setting of dcdc converter 12v output voltage

5 - i/o pins via 34 way idc header. A separate board to be mounted on the case connects via a short ribbon cable to an Ampseal 35 way header.

So hopefully this puts us a step nearer an integrated inverter / charger / dcdc converter module. I will leave this schematic out there for a week to allow for comments before starting pcb layout and prototype order. The same design will then be applied to the Yaris / Auris board design.
Attachments
PriusG3_V1c - Schematic.pdf
(565.59 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In production at JLC.
Attachments
priusv1c.png
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:29 am In production at JLC.
I love it. Hubner Synergy Drive indeed. And a nice logo too. :) I do think this is a great option, just couldn't pass up the cheap Volt inverter...
-Matt
arber333

Post by arber333 »

mdrobnak wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm I love it. Hubner Synergy Drive indeed. And a nice logo too. :) I do think this is a great option, just couldn't pass up the cheap Volt inverter...
-Matt
You can still use Prius inverter asa a 1kW DCDC converter and really good 3phase charger.

BTW JB do you have TX/RX lines for the charger chip expressed on the board? Dima made Wifi interface for my EMW charger and i love it. Hardware power limit is in code the rest you can setup yourself.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yes the Tx Rx are on a standard 2.54mm ftdi header.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Also as kiwifiat told us in Volt inverter thread Lebowski is sensing voltage from 0V to 5V. If I remember correctly gen 3 driver section measures both voltages in that range, just different gains. One could use that and run Prius gen3 on Lebowski brain FOC.
RichardZ

Post by RichardZ »

Newby :mrgreen: quick questions

1) Can I feed high voltage DC in to MG1 or MG2 to charge the battery of a Prius or do I need a Solar Pump inverter to make 3 ph AC first, then connect to the inverter MG1/2 as D. did in the video clip with single phase, charging the Prius battery?

2) Can the Prius inverter with logic board handle using MG1 and MG2 simultaneously with input and output, one for charging from solar (DC or AC) and the other as 3 phase output to run the workshop ( 200cc induction furnace 7.5 KW, CNC, 3 ph welder, screw compressor, 3 kw kiln)

My aim is to create low power Solar panel charging into a Prius inverter and battery pack (in the workshop) and then use the DC/DC inverter to have 12V LED lighting, MG1 or MG2 output to get high power 3 phase in the workshop (short intervals), and single phase for the rest of the house.
Drip feeding high voltage DC or (AC via the solar pump inverter) to the inverter/battery combo.
Found some PWM controlled solar pump inverters online: High voltage DC in // 3 ph AC out to the inverter input, but not sure this is a way forward. My solar panels can work in series up to 1000 Volts, output 2 to 4 KW.
Eventually hope to charge our two Gen 2 Prius cars and perhaps increase battery capacity to run in EV mode all the time.
I've got some facilities (scopes, soldering etc) at work for the project and possibly get some help form our radar engineers/programmers if I get stuck, just need some info in to what is possible and some idea what the limitations are.
Thanks
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

New boards arrived from JLCPCB. Once I get back working I'll test and update the webshop.
Attachments
2020-05-12 11.11.28.jpg
2020-05-12 11.12.51.jpg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:23 am New boards arrived from JLCPCB. Once I get back working I'll test and update the webshop.
Hah! Wicked looking connection plate there.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Getting some relief from the back pain so did a little work on the prius board. Powered up and tested the inverter section. Also tested the atmega328 and the mcp2515 can. All working perfectly. Will see if I can get it in the inverter tomorrow.
Attachments
2020-05-13 15.18.03.jpg
2020-05-13 15.16.17.jpg
2020-05-13 14.06.42.jpg
2020-05-13 14.06.37.jpg
Martin1775

Post by Martin1775 »

Today I got the Yaris Inverter running with Damian's board and I can turn the engine. :)

I have Damian's partially populated board and had some difficulty getting it to work with the FOC software and a Lexus MGR. Not perfect yet, but it works.

There are a few points that almost drove me crazy and will definitely help others.

PIN 15 on the STM32 is open and mostly, but not always, caused me an error as soon as I started the inverter. The error did not appear in the error list, it was only displayed in the parameter list in run mode. After pull up to VCC with 10kOhm, it's OK.

Now I could let the engine spin, but not as it should in the syncofs calibration script. Tested with a 36 V battery, the engine jumps at start-up and turns, or stops at 120 A current. After playing with Pinswap, the motor turns quickly with about 50 A current consumption.

Yesterday I had the idea to change the phases between the STM32 and the connector, since the Prius has its current sensors in phases 1 and 3 and not as in Johannes circuit diagram in 1 and 2. I crossed the resistors R51 and R52 as well as R54 and R55 and now the engine is running.

I try to create a description for the WIKI with the other bugs I found, but it can take a few more days.

The picture shows the current provisional status of the board.

Martin
Attachments
IMGP9346klein.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Nice work Martin. Do please document this as I can incorporate the mods into the next build.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Is there a WIP repo of the buck/boost as a charger?

Is the idea to use the MG1 current sensor to calculate to output current or are we to add a sensor?

Please don't include any paperwork with my board, the wife might intercept the parcel :D
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Draft pinout for the ampseal 35 way connector.
Attachments
ampseal_pinout_v1c.pdf
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

New board fitted to an inverter today. All seems to be working including parallel operation of MG1 and MG2 power stages. Will be fitting to the E39 soon for actual motor testing.

I have another unopened inverter here and my plan (back pain willing) over the weekend is to make a super long and boring video showing the board build up, programming and fitting to an inverter. This will serve as an installation manual. Board kits will then be for sale on the webshop.
Attachments
2020-05-14 11.55.19.jpg
2020-05-14 11.55.14.jpg
2020-05-14 11.48.23.jpg
2020-05-14 11.47.42.jpg
2020-05-14 11.43.32.jpg
2020-05-14 11.43.29.jpg
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Looking great!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Hope to add this to the collection after Gen2 is up and running...Get well and take it easy 'Damien style'.
ozwolf

Post by ozwolf »

I love the long, detailed, (not) boring videos. Lots of detail please!!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In relation to the Pin 15 issue from a few posts back it worth noting that this just affects the DINOCUR flag not the actual status. If its high DINOCUR will read OK and if low will read ERROR but this will not stop the inverter from working.
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:46 pm All seems to be working including parallel operation of MG1 and MG2 power stages.
Will this run MG1 at the same power levels as MG2 or simply max out MG1?
Martin1775

Post by Martin1775 »

For the PIN15 issue, is it possible that it is a spezific problem with the FOC software?

Each time when I press the start button I get PWM Signal for a few ms and then it stops, the inverter stayed in run mode, and got no error message, only in the parameter list it says ocurr error.
It make no difference it the powerstage had power and deliver current or not.
One time after flashing different software versions it runs, but then when testing the next day after power off from the board it was the same problem.
So I look for a reason, and after pull up PIN15 the board runs with ocurr OK and PWM Signals.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Installation and setup manual part one :
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Great video D!
I must agree with magnifier glasses. I use them extensively for couple of months now and i cant imagine working without them.
Looking forward to seeing the board in action.