Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
TheSilverBuick

Re: Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Post by TheSilverBuick »

The motor whisperer.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
bobby_come_lately

Post by bobby_come_lately »

Success! FOC firmware working and have (some) throttle control.

Think it's just a tuning issue now, though some of this may also be connected to lack of juice. Motor doesn't spin until throttle depressed quite a way, and then starts to slow once it goes past about half way.

Anyway, this isn't a Gen3 inverter issue but thought I'd share that it's all working.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

is it normal to only have throttle input when the HV battery is connected? also after finally getting throttle input the motor still over currents, even after adding the updated firmware to change the current sensors.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You need to follow the tuning process : https://openinverter.org/wiki/Using_FOC_Software
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

i will continue testing monday
bobby_come_lately

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 am You need to follow the tuning process : https://openinverter.org/wiki/Using_FOC_Software
Been through this loop a few times now. End up with roughly the same values but still the same result. Maybe because of the lack of cooling? Or current limits? Not sure.

Will keep playing.
bobby_come_lately

Question on CANbus communication: looks like the termination resistor is on the board from the schematic. It doesn't need anything additional does it?

I have communication working between an Arduino and an ESP8266, both with MCP2515s. But when I disconnect one and hook it up to the inverter I don't get anything. I've tested for bad connections, configured the baud rate in the web interface, and mapped udc to CAN per the instructions on the wiki.

EDIT: Checked the resistance across high and low and got 80ohms with my (nearly) 120ohm resistor connected so guessing there is no resistor missing. Also tried sending it messages, which errored out.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'm going to need a hacksaw
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

bobby_come_lately wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:12 pm Question on CANbus communication: looks like the termination resistor is on the board from the schematic. It doesn't need anything additional does it?

I have communication working between an Arduino and an ESP8266, both with MCP2515s. But when I disconnect one and hook it up to the inverter I don't get anything. I've tested for bad connections, configured the baud rate in the web interface, and mapped udc to CAN per the instructions on the wiki.

EDIT: Checked the resistance across high and low and got 80ohms with my (nearly) 120ohm resistor connected so guessing there is no resistor missing. Also tried sending it messages, which errored out.
Is the crystal for MCP2515 matching the software? 8 and 16MHz CAN modules are popular.
bobby_come_lately

Good shout @PatrykS - it is indeed 16MHz in software and 8MHz crystal. Will tweak and test again.

Weird that it worked fine in the test with the same error though.

EDIT: That did it! Thank you.
bobby_come_lately

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:56 pm
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Interesting to see it topping out at around 50kw even in the acceleration burst on joining the motorway. Gives me faith my 60kw motor should be fine in a much smaller car.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Well here we go again, throttle, reads, started trying to tune the motor and once I started to turn the motor, wheels by hand the throttle pot jumped up and down, now I’ve double checked my wiring and I’m confused. I have no ideal what is going on.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Dylan Witt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:46 am Well here we go again, throttle, reads, started trying to tune the motor and once I started to turn the motor, wheels by hand the throttle pot jumped up and down, now I’ve double checked my wiring and I’m confused. I have no ideal what is going on.
Take a video. post it, link it. Can do an unlisted video if you don't want it to mess up your youtube channel.

If nothing else, the things you're not saying might be important or obvious.

And if not that, well, the rest of us can entertain ourselves by watching your failure. :p
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

So after getting some error I can’t explain and only setting Tmpm temp error, here is what I have.

MattsAwesomeStuff

Hmm...

So, your throttle pot seems to be behaving correctly, but your potnom is erratic and just looks like background noise. I'm not sure what that means.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Board is equipped with socket for interlocks(two of them on the inverter). Is it mondatory those interlocks to be engaged for inverter operation?
MattsAwesomeStuff

konstantin8818 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 pm Board is equipped with socket for interlocks(two of them on the inverter). Is it mondatory those interlocks to be engaged for inverter operation?
I believe so, yes, that's the point of them.

Does Damien's board have them also?
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

konstantin8818 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 pm Board is equipped with socket for interlocks(two of them on the inverter). Is it mondatory those interlocks to be engaged for inverter operation?
I’m going to reinstall the connector and add electrical grease, then try again. This seems to be my only problem at the moment, other than tuning the motor
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm
I believe so, yes, that's the point of them.

Does Damien's board have them also?
Well, this thread is about Damien's board, so my question was about it. It has socket, where interlock wires go, so I was wondering if board require those to be engaged to operate. For now I can't do anything about Inverter: job first, hobby second :)
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

I may have to check the interlocks and make sure they are all engaged
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

I updated the firmware, once again, and seems to have corrected all my problems, now I have a over current problem, smooth motor movement, but about five seconds of testing with software the motor wiring gets warm, and the inverter power wiring gets really warm, I would say a good hot summer day temperature, it warms my coolant up fast, software says motor phase one is 290amps, that’s just for five seconds of testing, what do I need to be changing? Uploading a video tomorrow to show what’s going on, low quality due to slow internet.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

OK, finally got time to find schematics - this socket is not connected anywhere, so no need of it.
Also a little question: this is a photo of STM on that famous smoked board:
20200724_003558.jpg
Two pins are bridged, is it OK, or I need to risk it with soldering iron to remove bridge?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

If my pin1 reading is correct then you have bridged PA0 and PA1.

On the Rev2 board (Johannes' hardware) PA0 is the UVLO (or DESAT, can't tell which) and PA1 is the OC detect.
This board may or may not be the same. In any case bridges should usually come off anyways.

-Isaac
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

The same two pins on mine is bridged to, should I remove it before something happens? Remove the solder and see if that fixes any of my problems
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm If my pin1 reading is correct then you have bridged PA0 and PA1.
On Damien's board PA1 is not used, and PA0 is MG2_UVLO_IN.
111.png
And we all know that Damien's board is operational, so I guess it is not a problem.