Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
PatrcioEV-ATX

Re: Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

So I bought the bare board and all the components. It's all put together and everything seems fine so far except I don't see any wifi device to connect to. I have this module: MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 and it is flashing green as if it's working, but I don't see any open wifi signal to connect to. Thoughts?
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
Jackk

Post by Jackk »

Is this the only place to purchase the ISA Shunts? ... https://www.evcreate.nl/shop/charging/i ... ge-sensor/

Seems a tad pricey..

Need to order one up.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Jackk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am Is this the only place to purchase the ISA Shunts? ... https://www.evcreate.nl/shop/charging/i ... ge-sensor/
No. Search the classifieds section on this forum. There are frequently group buys. The best way to purchase one of these is directly from the manufacture. And the best way to get them affordable is to take advantage of the price break for bulk quantities of more than 10. If there are none available on the forum, and no active group buys, then you could start one. There are several different versions of this shunt. You might want to do some more research to figure out exactly what amperage and CAN configuration you will need for your job, and then see if you can drum up some other members to join in on a group purchase. Or, bite the bullet and make a bulk purchase, and then offer your excess to members in the aforementioned classifieds section.
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

slanceley wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 pm
TonyV wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 am
Domt177 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:27 pm How do i go about flashing the new user-friendly version of the software, just received my board yesterday so hasn't got the new software installed.
Ah...That's the million dollar question.. ;)

basically this is what I did....(and BTW if you haven't figured it out by now I'm NO exert at this)
The steps below are what I would say were 2 weeks of reading here, google searches, YouTube, and lots of Swearing!

I'm using......
Oh my god, this post alone has helped me so much.... thank you TonyV for posting this. People making an effort to share the benefit of their own experiences on open inverter are my heroes!
Just trying to help where I can.
Thanks and Your Welcome. :)
I'll figure this out sooner or later
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Should I be able to connect to the wifi module when I just have the board plugged in to the computer via USB? I've also powered the board with a benchtop power source and still don't see the wifi. I can open Arduino and see the simple menu and manipulate it and all LEDs seem to be on or blinking as expected. Does there need to be more than basic power connected for me to connect to the wifi module? I was expecting to connect but just receive blank data at this point. I've even tried using another wifi module but same result.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Folks can we PLEASE read the wiki here : https://openinverter.org/wiki/Lexus_GS4 ... U_Firmware
and watch the video here :
which explain the operation of the new software in detail.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 am Folks can we PLEASE read the wiki here : https://openinverter.org/wiki/Lexus_GS4 ... U_Firmware
and watch the video here :
which explain the operation of the new software in detail.
All this information is fantastic. I've read the wiki and the support threads multiple times. I've watched every related video multiple times. I've even invested the time to learn basic Arduino. I can see the handle_wifi code in the software posted on Github.

What I'm seeing personally, is that I can access the menu on the VCU. I can change parameters, etc. That part is great. But there is no open wifi network to connect to in order to see the web gauges. If I try to go to that address, obviously I get nothing because I'm not wifi'd into the board. I've tried with multiple wifi devices (two different laptops, cell). I wouldn't expect to see any data as I'm still collecting my inverter and transmission, but I would expect to be able to connect to the wifi module on the board. I've replaced the wifi module and double checked the solder points. The module has a solid red LED and a blinking green LED. No network. I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but that's why I posted the question.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Did you purchase a full kit or partial board?
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm Did you purchase a full kit or partial board?
I purchased the partial board though it had the USB component already placed. Everything is working as expected except I don't see a wifi network to connect to. I thought maybe it was because I wasn't connected to the inverter yet, but I would think the wifi module would be creating a network regardless. It is an ESP8266 and appears to be the exact one in your video.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Bassmobile

Pre-compiled binaries for the ESP web interface?

Post by Bassmobile »

Hey Mr. Bauer. Greetings from Oregon. I've been supporting you on Patreon over the year from hell, and I bought the full assembled VCU kit last June 2020. Well it's been a LONG year, but I'm almost done with my project. One thing that I'm struggling with, is the WI-FI.
I'm not super happy with the strength of the wi-fi signal from the Olimex ESP8266 board once it's inside the CINCH enclosure and that is mounted where I want it down behind the vehicle firewall. I've installed this in a 1964 Mercedes-Benz Sedan. I know the bodies on these old tanks are much thicker steel than the newer BMW's. The way I have it mounted, the VCU wi-fi connection drops out frequently (I should say, always) on my Android tablet that I intend to use for the dash. If I'm outside the car, fine. When the thing is mounted in the cockpit of the car, no joy.

So, on the suggestion of the internets, I've got a Wemos D1 Mini that I would like to experiment with, to see if the signal is better. I've read other places online that these boards have a stronger wifi broadcast signal. This seems to be all I need.

Will you, or somebody, please provide me with updated binaries here, so I can flash the web-interface software onto my D1 Mini with esptool.py. Anyone? I've struggled so much with the damned Arduino IDE. It seems so simple, but I just can't get the damn thing to compile!
I'm so very close to having this thing rolling.

Thank you all so very much!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Did you program the wifi module? They don't just work out of the box.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As much as I'd like to help I don't know much of anything about the wemos.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm As much as I'd like to help I don't know much of anything about the wemos.
Assume that was a reply intended for me?

I'm not asking for help with the Wemos. I'm requesting pre-compiled binaries of the l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶F̶S̶ SPIFFS and web interface, so I can flash them onto a Wemos and hopefully solve the weak wi-fi problem.

Corrections:.
Trying to use a Wemos D1 Mini, bought several dozen of these few years ago. Looks like the photo. It has the larger ESP8266MOD wi-fi module. The units being sold now, have a cheaper design, less robust wi-fi module implementation. If anybody wan't one of the older design, PM me. I have tons.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.10.40 PM.png
Spec:
https://www.wemos.cc/en/latest/d1/d1_mini.html
Schematic:
https://www.wemos.cc/en/latest/_static/ ... v1.0.0.pdf

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the VCU is sill using the now deprecated SPIFFS, and not littleFS, like the other wifi implementations in the community. Arduino IDE warns about this at compile time. Questions for the community; Should this be updated?
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... V1.ino#L25
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm Did you program the wifi module? They don't just work out of the box.
Thank you, that answers my initial question! For those buying the partial board, the web interface will not work without programming the wifi module (also there is no part number anywhere that I could find listing the needed ESP8266 module). I will need to do additional research to figure out how to program the wifi module. I would have bought the kit had I known that. I thought the difference between the partial board and the kit was merely sourcing and soldering the additional components. That is not a complaint, mind you! Just a piece of info I wasn't aware of.

Is it possible to buy a programmed wifi module from you?
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

@bassmobile ah yes I know the part now. Understand the frustration with getting the things to program. It took me forever to get it to just work. If there is a binary of some type I'll of course be happy to share. Regards upgrading the wifi firmware I'm not focused on that myself perhaps the community can step in? My focus now is getting the zombieverter vcu up and running and kicking that system back to the sam3 so we all use the openinverter wifi interface.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm Did you program the wifi module? They don't just work out of the box.
Thank you, that answers my initial question! For those buying the partial board, the web interface will not work without programming the wifi module (also there is no part number anywhere that I could find listing the needed ESP8266 module).
I think this is it: MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 by olimex.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 am @bassmobile ah yes I know the part now. Understand the frustration with getting the things to program. It took me forever to get it to just work. If there is a binary of some type I'll of course be happy to share.
viewtopic.php?p=20#p20
This thread / post refers to two binaries. One is the file-system, in the GS450VCU's case it would be a SPIFFS .bin, and the other .bin is the actual firmware. I think these BIN can be exported from the Arduino IDE. Anyone care to contribute these?!
Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 am Regards upgrading the wifi firmware I'm not focused on that myself perhaps the community can step in? My focus now is getting the zombieverter vcu up and running and kicking that system back to the sam3 so we all use the openinverter wifi interface.
Fully understood. Appreciate the reply. I guess updating the gs450vcu webinterface isn't really high priority, and it will be abandoned maybe. Still, I've updated the original post, posing the question to the community about updating the web-interface to LittleFS.
Maybe dima or someone else who is knowledgable will chime in and lend a hand with the .bins i'm requesting and other such. I still have not found them, nor figured out a solution for programming the interface onto the Wemos D1.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but is there a complete wiring diagram from The VCU to the connectors on the different components? I've figured some of it out, but still missing where the trans temp, MG1 and 2 temp, oil pump relay and PWM go. The inverter.png file is not legible on my computer, so I think that might be part of my problem.
Thanks for any help
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

86elcamino wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 am Perhaps I've overlooked it, but is there a complete wiring diagram from The VCU to the connectors on the different components? I've figured some of it out, but still missing where the trans temp, MG1 and 2 temp, oil pump relay and PWM go. The inverter.png file is not legible on my computer, so I think that might be part of my problem.
Thanks for any help
Have you seen this one yet?
GS450H Wiring overview V2.4.pdf
(947.8 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Awesome, thank you so much. :D
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Anyone have any idea why my MG2 position, (when checking through arduino serial monitor with the easy to use VCU software) is randomly picking its position, causing it not to work, MG1 is fine and knows it’s position, but MG2 position is bouncing between 0 and 3500ish every time I check
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Which terminal(s) on the the MG2 resolver handle the position? As my temp is still coming through

Edit: just rewired the thing for the millionth time, it now works
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

86elcamino wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:00 am Awesome, thank you so much. :D
One thing on this diagram to keep in mind is your throttle pedal wiring may be different. I am using an E46 pedal and the common grounds are brown and the common 5V are yellow (opposite of this diagram).
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

PacEmaker wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:21 am
Dilbert wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 am I couldn't see a wiki page for this ecu, we must set one up to capture some of this info.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the plug/crimps which plug into the ecu handy? I want to get these in to make a harness.
If you are referring to Damien's GS450h inverter controller board - here is his reference to the part numbers for the plugs and crimps (that don't appear in the BOM but appear on his Github 'pinout' page for this project):

33472-2002 (left side, grey in colour)
33472-2001 (right side, black in colour)
33012-2002 (pin crimps)

Mouser has the plugs available individually without having to buy 5 or more at a time. They have the pin crimp thingies available individually or in strips of 100 or reels of 6000!
Is there a trick to get these pins to seat in the connectors securely? I can't seem to get them to go in far enough or to click in place and I can easily pull them back out. I've googled this like crazy but just can't find anything. I'm using the pins and connectors quoted above with 20awg wire.

EDIT: Ha, figured it out right after asking this question! For anyone who may be having issues with this (or maybe I'm the only idiot), you have to pull the white face gently away from the connector about 1/8 of an inch. This locks the pins in place and you can't seat them unless you pull it out. Once you seat your pins (you will hear them click), you push the white locking face back into place. Also, make sure you're not using a soft walled wire! You'll never be able to push that kind of wire far enough into the connector to seat.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm
86elcamino wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:00 am Awesome, thank you so much. :D
One thing on this diagram to keep in mind is your throttle pedal wiring may be different. I am using an E46 pedal and the common grounds are brown and the common 5V are yellow (opposite of this diagram).
I'm using a Miata pedal, but I don't think it will be a problem to figure out. Thanks again.