Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jack Bauer

Re: Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ok I'm going to double post this here and on the ZombieVerter thread. Now that we have E65/GS450H , E46/Leaf combos running and Prius on the way I am pushing the button on porting libopeninv to the SAM3X8E mcu. The purpose of this is to allow the firmware developed here for the Zombieverter to be backwards compatible with the existing vcus for both Lexus and Leaf. Once the code has been cleaned up from my mess by the people who have kindly helped, supported and contributed to this project it will be passed to an external developer (at my expense) who will do the actual conversion as although both the SAM and F105 parts are supported by libopencm3 and are both cortex m3 processors there are quite a few differences.

Once ready for release the binaries will be completely free and opensource however the source will remain available on Patreon only for a period of time before also becoming fully free and opensource. Expected timeframe on this is first half of 2021.

Now regarding the Zombieverter as of this point further hardware changes are required to add extra i/o and functions so the code will break from the SAM version at this point. If there are future modules developed that could be back ported to the SAM version that will be up individuals and/or the community to pursue.

A big thank you to all who support this project. I actually couldn't do it without you. I'll raise a glass to you from my beach house in Lanzarote:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Gigas

Post by Gigas »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:24 pm From the wiki :
Connector Part No. Location
Inverter interface connector (A62) 90980–12630 Black connector on the side of the inverter. This connector is not sold anywhere to our knowledge.

A good alternative to this, otherwise difficult to obtain, connector is to replace the receptacle/header with the following parts from Molex:

Also from the wiki :
https://openinverter.org/wiki/images/c/ ... nector.png
well I had a complete brain fart - I'll just pretend I totally overlooked that - the connector makes sense then if it can't be bought - i'll just keep an eye out for something
What was I doing?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Happens to me every day:)
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Gigas wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm Ok I must be missing something but I ordered two different connectors for this connection on the inverter and both connections off the wiki page don't fit - Also is there not a pinout for this?0127212138_HDR.jpg
I am following the pinout off the OEM connector.

steveknox

Post by steveknox »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:41 pm Ok I'm going to double post this here and on the ZombieVerter thread. Now that we have E65/GS450H , E46/Leaf combos running and Prius on the way I am pushing the button on porting libopeninv to the SAM3X8E mcu. The purpose of this is to allow the firmware developed here for the Zombieverter to be backwards compatible with the existing vcus for both Lexus and Leaf. Once the code has been cleaned up from my mess by the people who have kindly helped, supported and contributed to this project it will be passed to an external developer (at my expense) who will do the actual conversion as although both the SAM and F105 parts are supported by libopencm3 and are both cortex m3 processors there are quite a few differences.

Once ready for release the binaries will be completely free and opensource however the source will remain available on Patreon only for a period of time before also becoming fully free and opensource. Expected timeframe on this is first half of 2021.

Now regarding the Zombieverter as of this point further hardware changes are required to add extra i/o and functions so the code will break from the SAM version at this point. If there are future modules developed that could be back ported to the SAM version that will be up individuals and/or the community to pursue.

A big thank you to all who support this project. I actually couldn't do it without you. I'll raise a glass to you from my beach house in Lanzarote:)
Thank you for bending over backwards to maintain support for those of us who have purchased these. Really amazing dedication.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Can anyone advise whether it’s safe/possible to remove the converter connector without any affect to the functioning of the inverter.
image.jpg
Doubt it has any affect but just double checking
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Yes you can. You need to do something about the loose connections to the converter and the gaping hole exposing bus voltage. You can just remove the DC link bus bar and 3D print a cap for the hole.

If you plan on removing the converter hardware, let me know as I'm local to you and am always after more converters to work on for my converter controller development.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

I have sprung an issue I can’t seem figure out, when I tested the gearbox, it all worked and spun, since then I’ve replaced the impossible to find connector and now (I haven’t tested spinning as it’s in the car) my temps, rpm’s and positions all read 0, (in serial monitor)

I’ve continuity tested each connection that I replaced and tested each one for shorts, no issues there, and their all in the correct position

When I apply ‘high voltage’ to the inverter dc bus, it doesn’t read that either (nor does it make a high pitch noise, did before...) and the online web interface says -2v

Anyone had something like this before?
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Are you getting serial data from the inverter at all?

Do double check your wiring, especially the polarity of the 4 differential signals.

Add a line in the code to print the checksum calculated from the MTH data, it if's 0, there's the problem. If it's in the thousands, then you're communicating just fine.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Ignore my post above / delete it, I was being silly
81 Lux

Post by 81 Lux »

Is anyone using the dc/dc converter in this inverter/ converter to power the 12v system of the car? Or is an external dc/dc converter needed?
xp677

Post by xp677 »

I doubt the converter can go so low.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

There is a DC-DC converter inside the traction battery pack in the GS450h. (I think) it provides the 14V to the rest of the accessories. I am not certain and have no more knowledge off it though.
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Can someone confirm if MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 is the correct wifi module for the bare board? I don't see the part number listed in the BOM on Github or the Wiki.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... DnEALw_wcB
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:54 pm Can someone confirm if MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 is the correct wifi module for the bare board? I don't see the part number listed in the BOM on Github or the Wiki.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... DnEALw_wcB
That's the one
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Folks did we ever release the stl files for the 3d printed parts for the inverter hv connectors?
slanceley

Post by slanceley »

TonyV wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 am
Domt177 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:27 pm How do i go about flashing the new user-friendly version of the software, just received my board yesterday so hasn't got the new software installed.
Ah...That's the million dollar question.. ;)

basically this is what I did....(and BTW if you haven't figured it out by now I'm NO exert at this)
The steps below are what I would say were 2 weeks of reading here, google searches, YouTube, and lots of Swearing!

I'm using......
Oh my god, this post alone has helped me so much.... thank you TonyV for posting this. People making an effort to share the benefit of their own experiences on open inverter are my heroes!
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

tell me, is the recuperation working ? how to charge the battery ?, I want to use only the traction motor separately, what can not be soldered into the board?
moscow
sheselectric

Post by sheselectric »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 am Folks did we ever release the stl files for the 3d printed parts for the inverter hv connectors?
i managed to find an enclosure to fit over the HV connections. See post 19.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1341
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

what fee should I collect for version 2 or 3?
moscow
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Does the V3 simple version of the software control the contactors for starting the car?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No it does not.
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

I want to put MG2 on a mechanical box, only the motor, how to use the MG1 input to charge the battery, on the version 2 board, half of the parts can not be soldered? how do I set up recuperation?
moscow
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

I also collect a motorcycle based on the MG1, the questions are the same,
moscow
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

nasekin wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm I want to put MG2 on a mechanical box, only the motor, how to use the MG1 input to charge the battery, on the version 2 board, half of the parts can not be soldered? how do I set up recuperation?
This thread is for the VCU, which operates the controller as it is in the original vehicle. No charging via MG1. Recuperation / regenerative braking is something that is still being worked on.

On another note, has anyone tested the max power capabilities with a ~360V battery in using this VCU but going through the standard input which goes through the boost / buck circuitry? (This is related to viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1547)

-Matt