Jack Bauer

Re: Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Fantastic!
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

How do i go about flashing the new user-friendly version of the software, just received my board yesterday so hasn't got the new software installed.
Gigas

Post by Gigas »

TonyV wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:55 pm Can I get a WOOT WOOT!

After LOTS of trail and error finally got the transmissions to do "Spiny Things"!

Lot of wiring connections because I did not have any part of the wire harness which at the time when I bought the inverter and trans, I didn't think it was a big deal, man I was wrong on that one. And I'm an electrician. :o
Also a big hurtle for me was trying to figure out the programing part of this whole deal, especially the firmware change. (Arduinos, STM32's, Sketches, libraries, com ports, yada, yada, yada.
My head is still spinning!

Special thanks Damien for your latest Video,

here is a short clip.
Thats awesome - So can you switch electronically and physically? Damian did it one way and you did it the other? Reason is mine is missing the shifter knob and bolt - just little nub left
What was I doing?
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

Hey Gigas,
I was so excited that I totally forgot you could switch it electronically alone.

But now I'm not sure what would happen if you were to switch to Reverse electronically and left the lever in Drive.
Or leave the inverter in the Drive state and only move the lever to Reverse.
Cant test that at the moment cuz im working 12hour night shifts
I'll figure this out sooner or later
ggeter

Post by ggeter »

My understanding, the mechanical lever does nothing internally besides engaging Park pawl. I assume you wired the output of the drive lever sensor to the D and R functions of the VCU. Did you not?
Houston, Texas, USA
EV Newbie
1979 MG Midget + GS450h = "Mexus?"
IT Consultant
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

Domt177 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:27 pm How do i go about flashing the new user-friendly version of the software, just received my board yesterday so hasn't got the new software installed.
Ah...That's the million dollar question.. ;)

basically this is what I did....(and BTW if you haven't figured it out by now I'm NO expert at this)
The steps below are what I would say were 2 weeks of reading here, google searches, YouTube, and lots of Swearing!

I'm using a Windows 7 Laptop and this also worked on a Windows 10 PC
Cant say if these steps work on a Linux or MAC machines.

1.Fresh install of Arduino software. https://www.arduino.cc/en/software
2. Download Damien's Gitub files.https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... Controller Hit the green code button and download the ZIP file
3.Unzip File ( i just left it in the default location which was in the Download folder)
3. Open Arduino, then in the Arduino Program go to File, Open
4. Find Unzip Folder you just downloaded from GitHub, open main folder (should be called some like Lexus-GS450H-Inverter-Converter-master)
5. Open "Software" Folder,
6. Click on the gs450_V3_ser file, (this is the User Friendly file)
7. Pop up window will tell you the file needs to be in a separate folder, click OK
8. You should now see the file contents in the Arduino screen.
9. Now we need to compile and make sure there are no errors. To compile, hit the Check Mark button, located just under the File menu button. (a warning came up for me about the Metro Library but I was able to continue to upload. Errors will need to be fixed to be able to continue). If you encounter errors try restarting the Arduino Program and if that doesn't work try restarting the Laptop/Computer. If that doesn't work...copy the error and search Google.
10. Plug in the VCU into you Laptop/Computer USB Port. You may need to connect 12V power to the VCU at this time. But try without it first.
11. Select the Com Port. Go to Tools, Port, there should be a com port called something like Arduino Due Native USB Port. Select it. Once selected it should appear in the bottom right corner of the Arduino Screen. Again if it doesn't appear restart the Arduino Program and or the Computer/Laptop
12. Now it time to upload to VCU. Next to the Check Mark there is a Arrow button.
13. Click the arrow....wait....you should see a green progress bar appear within a couple seconds.
14. May time a few minutes to updload.
15. When done it should say Done or Finished
16. Open the Serial Monitor, (there is magnifying glass symbol top right of the Arduino Screen).
17. Window should open
16. Follow Damien's instruction here https://vimeo.com/501777258
17. Fast Forward to 16:20

Again I just kinda figured this out myself and I'm going by memory. I'm sure I must of missed a step or two or 10 but this should get you close.
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

ggeter wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:03 am My understanding, the mechanical lever does nothing internally besides engaging Park pawl. I assume you wired the output of the drive lever sensor to the D and R functions of the VCU. Did you not?
I did.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

This is every driver's dream and mine too.
81 Lux

Post by 81 Lux »

Does anyone have cad data for the gs450h bell housing block off plate?
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

I started developing it in freecad. Got most of the way before having to divert attention elsewhere. Happy to share it if you are willing to work on it.
81 Lux

Post by 81 Lux »

steveknox wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:33 pm I started developing it in freecad. Got most of the way before having to divert attention elsewhere. Happy to share it if you are willing to work on it.
Yes I'd be glad to. can you export it into a step or iges file?
Mobert

Post by Mobert »

someone posted a dxf here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1269
adamover

Post by adamover »

/Users/adamlongmore/Desktop/PLTeec4.jpg
Dan--T

Post by Dan--T »

Hello all, I am struggling to get the new V3.01 SW to compile due to missing libraries.

First metro - I found a link to that in the support thread, sorted.

But now I have error due to missing Varient.H and I can't find anywhere I can download that. I assume I will then have the same problem for:
#include <due_wire.h>
#include <Wire_EEPROM.h>
Shown in the code.

I found a post in the thread giving links to these libraries (Copied below). But I can't find the user Collin80 on GIThub anymore.

Any advice on where to find them?
Thanks
Dan

#include <due_can.h> //https://github.com/collin80/due_can
#include <due_wire.h> //https://github.com/collin80/due_wire
#include <DueTimer.h> //https://github.com/collin80/DueTimer
#include <Wire_EEPROM.h> //https://github.com/collin80/Wire_EEPROM
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

Can you double-check that you're trying to compile using the correct board type. I've had that error when trying to compile to an uno by accident.
In Tools -> Boards -> Board Manager, search for 'due'. You should get an option called 'Arduino SAM Boards'.

If that's not installed, install it, then choose the arduino due from "Tools -> Boards -> Arduino ARM (Programming Port)" and try again.
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

I too had "Variant.h" issues.
The problem was I had the wrong Port selected.
Make sure it looks like this.
Attachments
GS450HPort.png
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

I found a post in the thread giving links to these libraries (Copied below). But I can't find the user Collin80 on GIThub anymore.

Any advice on where to find them?
Thanks
Dan

#include <due_can.h> //https://github.com/collin80/due_can
#include <due_wire.h> //https://github.com/collin80/due_wire
#include <DueTimer.h> //https://github.com/collin80/DueTimer
#include <Wire_EEPROM.h> //https://github.com/collin80/Wire_EEPROM
Click on the links, download the Zip file, Install using Arduino, close Arduino(important step), repeat for each file that comes up as "missing"
Install using Arduino's "Include Library" function.
Attachments
InstallingZip.png
Dan--T

Post by Dan--T »

Thanks everyone, I will check everything suggested and somehow the links to the libraries seem to work now, I swear they didn't last night!
Dan--T

Post by Dan--T »

Hi, I followed all the instructions and found I had all of your problems, set to Uno board, wrong port and missing libraries!

All done now and successfully uploaded.

Thanks everyone!
Dan
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

On the wiki page it says, to replace the impossible to find inverter connector you’ll need:

32x 064323-1029 Terminals
and
1x 064320-1311 connector receptacle, but they aren’t compatible as far as I can tell.

The terminals are too large for the receptacle even after removing a layer of plastic and the waterproof seal from the connector.

Could anyone point me on the direction of the right terminals (unless I’m doing something wrong which I probably am)
Thanks
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

Yup,

I Email Molex about this,
This is their reply.
"The part numbers 0643231029 are indeed compatible with 0643201311, however, there are two different sized openings for the terminals to be inserted into in 0643231029 is only able to be inserted into L1-L4 and M1-M4."

Here is the PDF
Scroll down to the bottom and it lists the crimps that can be used.https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/643201311_sd.pdf
Attachments
Will Not Fit. These crimps are for L1-L4 and M1-M4 only.
Will Not Fit. These crimps are for L1-L4 and M1-M4 only.
Molex connector.jpg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Dan--T

Post by Dan--T »

I've started working out my wiring tonight, using V2.4 wiring diagram posted by Robbertjanzen, which is a great resource, but it's brought up a few questions, hopefully something that can be easily answered and might future readers:

Plug A Pin 15 - Oil pump relay(low side switch)
The V2 pinout implies this should be used for Oil pump relay but wiring diagram uses it to switch HV- contactor and the pre-charge Relay.
The diagram then uses the inverter relay output to switch the oil pump relay instead.

Is there a specific reason to do it this way rather than using the oil pump relay to switch the oil pump? What is the logic in the VCU for switching these two outputs?

I noticed in the Lexus diagram that Lexus Hybrid ECU is supplying 12V to Oil pump relay rather than a ground, so I guess I need to rewire this relay.

Plug A Pin 17 - 12V Out
Is this pin supplying +12V out? Or is it a ground capable of handling 12V?
The wiring diagram has it on the HV+ contactor coil, and on the other side is 12V power, so if it is a +12V output there would be 12V on both sides of the coil. Could somebody explain it to me, have I missed something here?

Mismatch between the V2 Pin out and V2.4 wiring diagram.
Plug A Pin 18 and 19
The Pinout lists Pin 18 and 19 as 5V out and Ground
The V2.4 wiring diagram shows them as CAN L and CAN H
Could somebody confirm which is correct?

Thanks again,
Dan
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

1. I read somewhere that the VCU was lacking some inputs and outputs that's why the drawing is the way it is.
2. Its a 12V ground. (the VCU grounds this circuit internally)
3. Pin 18 and 19. 5V and Ground were for the earlier versions of the VCU. 18 and 19 are for V2 is for a Can transceiver. ( I believe its for the ISA Shunt)

I follow the same diagram and it seems to be fine. But I only have bench tested it.
Gigas

Post by Gigas »

Ok I must be missing something but I ordered two different connectors for this connection on the inverter and both connections off the wiki page don't fit - Also is there not a pinout for this?
0127212138_HDR.jpg
0127212138_HDR.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
What was I doing?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

From the wiki :
Connector Part No. Location
Inverter interface connector (A62) 90980–12630 Black connector on the side of the inverter. This connector is not sold anywhere to our knowledge.

A good alternative to this, otherwise difficult to obtain, connector is to replace the receptacle/header with the following parts from Molex:

Also from the wiki :
https://openinverter.org/wiki/images/c/ ... nector.png
I'm going to need a hacksaw