Lexus GS450h VCU never shows in Park  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Gregski

Lexus GS450h VCU never shows in Park

Post by Gregski »

Got my motor spinning today beautifully forward and reverse, and the Ver 2 VCU (not ZombieVerter) recognizes both signals and shows me that on the Menu when I press D, however it never recognizes Park

Park is a bit different as the signal goes from the Safety Neutral Switch to the Inverter unlike the other two signals which go directly to the VCU

I checked the Safety Neutral Switch and it is good, it does signal when in Park

IMG_6616.JPG
IMG_6249.JPG
Shift_position.png
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
PatrcioEV-ATX

Re: Lexus GS450h VCU never shows in Park  [SOLVED]

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Gregski wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:03 pm Got my motor spinning today beautifully forward and reverse, and the Ver 2 VCU (not ZombieVerter) recognizes both signals and shows me that on the Menu when I press D, however it never recognizes Park

Park is a bit different as the signal goes from the Safety Neutral Switch to the Inverter unlike the other two signals which go directly to the VCU

I checked the Safety Neutral Switch and it is good, it does signal when in Park

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

Shift_position.png
The line for Park should go to your Inverter, not your VCU like you said and the VCU doesn't know or care when it's in Park. Since it doesn't know that position, it doesn't display it in the menu. It only cares if there is a signal on In1 (drive) or In2 (Reverse) or neither (Neutral). Do you need to know Park for some reason? If so, for what purpose? I am running a tap of the Park line to an Arduino so that I can display P, N, R, D accordingly.
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
Gregski

Re: Lexus GS450h VCU never shows in Park

Post by Gregski »

perfect thank you so much, so all is working as it should, and since my rig is a 1971 and pre dates CAN Bus by a few months, ha ha no need for me to tap that signal
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Gregski wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 am perfect thank you so much, so all is working as it should, and since my rig is a 1971 and pre dates CAN Bus by a few months, ha ha no need for me to tap that signal
Yeah, no CAN in mine either but I'm sending R, N, D via CAN to my Arduino and using the P tap for a custom display that gives me voltage, MPH, RPM, gear, direction, Inv water temp and then sending back things like Ready Status, Creep, Valet Mode, Regen (or not), One Pedal, etc. I'm also using the Arduino for my precharge circuit and various other non-VCU functions. Really, since so many of the inputs to the VCU don't really do anything (MG/trans/pump temps, PB statuses, etc), there are a lot of possibilities for extra inputs and a few extra outputs, especially if you don't intend to shift gears (which no one seems to have perfected). By using the second CAN bus out to an Arduino, you can really increase the capabilities of this VCU.
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 am
Gregski wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 am perfect thank you so much, so all is working as it should, and since my rig is a 1971 and pre dates CAN Bus by a few months, ha ha no need for me to tap that signal
Yeah, no CAN in mine either but I'm sending R, N, D via CAN to my Arduino and using the P tap for a custom display that gives me voltage, MPH, RPM, gear, direction, Inv water temp and then sending back things like Ready Status, Creep, Valet Mode, Regen (or not), One Pedal, etc. I'm also using the Arduino for my precharge circuit and various other non-VCU functions. Really, since so many of the inputs to the VCU don't really do anything (MG/trans/pump temps, PB statuses, etc), there are a lot of possibilities for extra inputs and a few extra outputs, especially if you don't intend to shift gears (which no one seems to have perfected). By using the second CAN bus out to an Arduino, you can really increase the capabilities of this VCU.

Wow, awesome, awesome job my classic car converting comrade one of your older posts inspired me to fight the good Arduino fight here: Any Isabellenhütte IVT-S Ninjas on here?

Arduino.jpg
IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_6669.JPG
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Gregski wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:38 pm
PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 am

Wow, awesome, awesome job my classic car converting comrade one of your older posts inspired me to fight the good Arduino fight here: Any Isabellenhütte IVT-S Ninjas on here?

Arduino.jpg

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG
That's all very cool. Great work!
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2023 Volvo C40