Q211 + ZombieVerter or Gen3 Piggyback Board

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
cpat

Q211 + ZombieVerter or Gen3 Piggyback Board

Post by cpat »

My dad and I are working on re-assembling an old FSAE/FS single seat electric racecar, and currently are planning to and have bought a Q211 rear axle out of a Highlander to use for the motor/geartrain. We're trying to commit to an inverter control direction, and have looked at both using a replacement mainboard for a Gen3 inverter and the ZombieVerter due to the appeal of the simplified interface. It seems from what I've read on this forum, we'll need to go with the mainboard replacement or pursue developing the ZombieVerter codebase further to interact with the correct inverter, as the ZombieVerter isn't intended to handle non-native motors connected to the inverter being controlled. Has anyone tried driving the Q211 rear axle from the GS450h MG1 or MG2 with the ZombieVerter, or could confirm that my understanding on the best way to go ahead on this is correct?

Thanks for the help,
Cole
EV_Builder

Re: Q211 + ZombieVerter or Gen3 Piggyback Board

Post by EV_Builder »

I think your understanding is correct. Basically you want a solution to drive an unknown motor. So you want a basic inverter.
The question then becomes: Which inverter can i best use to drive motor XYZ.

I don't know which inverter is the most "universal" i think it will be an prius or leaf one.

One thing to keep in mind is the interface of the enocoder/resolver.
(and then you have like offsets and stuff to care about).

What are your options with the original inverter?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Bratitude

Re: Q211 + ZombieVerter or Gen3 Piggyback Board

Post by Bratitude »

you’ll need to be able to tune the inverter your using to drive the trans axle. the zombieverter is more of a general purpose vcu than a motor controller.

Example:

Zombieverter controls the leaf inverter by sending torque commands via the cab bus.

Leaf replacement board replaced the leafs power stage controller and generates the sine waves for the Power stage. You have to tune all the parameters appropriately for the motor that is connected to the power stage and what kind of behaviour you desire out of the motor.

now the zombieverter can send torque commends to the Prius inverter via sync serial. I’m not sure what other info is been it sent, and if it’s really anymore complicated than just some checksums and torque commands. I don’t think you’ll be able to develop it further till the point of universal tunning.

Not to mention a few folks are using a prius inverter (+drop in board) and the mgr trans axles, so there’s tunning parameters already available

The Prius inverts are cheap, plentiful and robust!
paired with the replacement board they’ll run pretty much any motor your connect to it, once tuned.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components