Prius PHEV BMS hacking - bigger battery?

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Zapatero

Prius PHEV BMS hacking - bigger battery?

Post by Zapatero »

Hi,

we have a 2012 Prius PHEV - the vehicle works very well, but the battery is very small. It would be an easy job to upgrade the batterys to some with a higher capacity, but the problem is that the bms has the capacity programmed in and adding a bigger battery won't make a big difference therefore. At least that's the information one can find on the internet.

Does anyone know something about if there is a work around? Any input is apprechiated!

Thanks, Philip
johu
Site Admin

Re: Prius PHEV BMS hacking - bigger battery?

Post by johu »

Wouldn't it be similar to this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=884 ?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
paaa

Post by paaa »

Hi I looked into this before approach used to create a plugin Prius in the US used some can manipulation to keep car thinking battery is alway in sweet spot for ev operation. There is a blog somewhere detailing some of the process. No seen any done to a Toyota built phev model. I would imagine it would be easier the starting with a non phev model.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Isnt BMS switch to petrol related more to HV battery voltage than capacity itself? I mean nimh battery soc is difficult to determine.