Toyota/Lexus transaxle/transmission

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Markos

Toyota/Lexus transaxle/transmission

Post by Markos »

I'm trying to get a complete image of the possibilities with Toyota and Lexus transaxles/transmissions so I'm trying to make an overview, hoping you here can help me figuring things out because it is far from complete.

P111 transaxle
Vehicle: Toyota Prius gen1 (1998 - 2003)

Different versions: all the same?
Code: 2CM?

Specification MG1
Rated voltage: 273.6 V
Max Output hp @ rpm: 45 HP @ 5600 - 7100 rpm
Max Torque lbf @ rpm: 28 lbf @ 0 - 5000 rpm

Specification MG2
Rated voltage: 273.6 V
Max Output hp @ rpm: 44 HP @ 1040 - 5600 rpm
Max Torque lbf @ rpm: 258 lbf @ 0 - 400 rpm

Oil pump
Driven by the engine shaft

EV conversion
1. Weld PSD?
2. Can the engine shaft be locked (like with the GS450H) and the oil pump be replaced with an electrical oil pump? (See 30:17 in the video for the oil pump placement)
- Can both motors controllable by Dual Motor Logic Board and/or ZombieVverter VCU?

Useful links
The Toyota Prius P111 hybrid transaxle (Transmission Digest)
1998 - 2003 Prius Transaxle - P111 Quick Look (WeberAuto)
1998 - 2003 Prius Transaxle - P111 Deep Dive (WeberAuto)
Toyota Prius (XW10) Wikipedia

P112 transaxle
Vehicle: Toyota Prius gen2 (2004 - 2009)

Different versions: all the same?
Code: 3CM?

Specification MG1
Rated voltage: 500 V??
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 34 HP (25 kW) @ max. 10000 rpm
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: ??
* According to page 11 of Case study: Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive:
Rated voltage: 500 V
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 50.7 HP (37.8 kW) @ 9500 rpm (10000 max. rpm)
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: 45 Nm (33 lbf) @ 0 - 6000 rpm
Current at max. torque (A): 75 A
Watercooled

Specification MG2
Rated voltage: 500 V
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 68 HP (50 kW) @ max. 1200 - 1540 rpm
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: 400 Nm (295 lbf) @ 0 - 1540 rpm (0 - 1200 rpm)*
Current at max. torque (A): 230 A *

Oil pump
Driven by the engine shaft. However, it seems the oil pump is on the outside of the transaxle. Can it possibly be replaced by an electronical oil pump?

EV conversion
1. Weld the PSD
2. Can the engine shaft be locked (like with the GS450H) and the oil pump be replaced with an electrical oil pump? (See 30:17 in the video for the oil pump placement)
- Can both motors controllable by Dual Motor Logic Board and/or ZombieVverter VCU?

Useful links
Toyota Prius info site (dutch) (for both gen 2 and gen 3)
2004 - 2009 Prius Transaxle - P112 Quick Look (WeberAuto)
2004 - 2009 Prius Transaxle - P112 Deep Dive (WeberAuto)
Toyota Prius (XW20) Wikipedia
Evaluation of 2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Drive System Interim Report
Case study: Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive

P310 transaxle
Vehicle: RX 400h (2005 - ...?)
Highlander

This is a modified P112 transaxle??? (Is what I make up in page 18: Case study: Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive)
In addition, a fixed gear second gearset is implemented: the drive motor (MG2) is linked to the front wheel transaxle by means of a second planetary gearset, thereby making it possible to increase the power density of the MG2. This allows for a motor with less torque but higher power (and higher maximum rotary speed).

Specification MG1
Rated voltage: 650 V
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 148 HP (109 kW) @ 13000 rpm
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: 80 Nm (59 lbf) @ 0 - 13000 rpm

Specification MG2
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 167 HP (123 kW) @ 4500 rpm
Max Torque Nm @ rpm: 333 Nm (246 lbf) @ 0 - 1500 rpm

Specification MGR (Motor Generator Rear)
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 68 HP (50 kW) @ 4610 - 5120 rpm
Max Torque Nm @ rpm: 130 Nm (96 lbf) @ 0 - 610 rpm

Case study: Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive (page 18 - 20)

coming...

P313 transaxle
Vehicle: RX 450h
2 versions? according to this site: https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-gearbox-transmissions/

coming...

P314 transaxle
Vehicle: NX 300h (2014 - ...?)

coming...

P410 transaxle
Vehicle: Toyota Prius gen3 (2010 - 2015)
Lexus CT 200h (2011 - ...?)
Toyota Auris (2010 - 2012) and (2013 - 2018)

Different versions: Prius and Prius V(erso)? 2:40 in the video
Code: Prius is 3JM? (3rd gen of this transaxle)
Highlander hybrid is 1JM? (1st gen of this transaxle) and is larger and more powerful? See also here: 4:00 in the video

Specification MG1
Rated voltage: 500 V?? (650 V)*
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 60 HP (42 kW) @ max. 10000 rpm
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: ??

Specification MG2
Rated voltage: 500 V (650 V)*
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: 80 HP (60 kW) @ max. 1200 - 1540 rpm
Max Torque Nm @ rpm: 207 Nm (153 lbf) @ 0 - 610 rpm

Oil pump
Driven by the engine shaft. However, it seems the oil pump is on the outside of the transaxle. Can it possibly be replaced by an electronical oil pump?

EV conversion
1. Weld the PSD
2. Can the engine shaft be locked (like with the GS450H) and the oil pump be replaced with an electrical oil pump? (See 34:41 in the video for the oil pump placement)

Useful links
Toyota Prius info site (dutch) (for both gen 2 and gen 3)
2010 - 2015 Prius Transaxle - P410 Quick Look (WeberAuto)
2010 - 2015 Prius Transaxle - P410 Deep Dive (WeberAuto)
Toyota Prius (XW30) Wikipedia
Evaluation of the 2010 Toyota Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive System

P510 transaxle
Vehicle: Toyota Prius C (2012 - 2017)

coming...

P610 transaxle (P710, P810 Similar)
Vehicle: Toyota Prius Prime (2016 - )

coming...

L110(f) transmission
Vehicle: L110: Lexus GS 450H (2006 - 2018(?))
L110f: LS 600H (2007 - 2018)

Different versions: 2007 - 2011 and 2012 - 2018 ??? (are there 2 versions? Or more? And what are the differences?)
Code: what are the different codes for different versions of the L110(f)
And what are the differences between the L110 and L110f? Only the transfer case? (code for this transfer case is LF1A if I have the correct information)

Specification MG1
Rated voltage: ??
Max Output HP (kW) @ rpm: ?? @ ??
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: ?? @ ??

Specification MG2
Max Torque Nm @ rpm: ?? @ ??

Oil pump
2 oil pumps, one mechanical oil pump driven by the engine and one external electric oil pump. (The electrical oil pump should get a bearing upgrade, see this guide: https://carlthomas66.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -pump.html)

EV conversion
Lock the input shaft

Useful links
Lexus Hybrid Transmission Project (On the YouTube channel from Damien)
7 Series 7 Day Project (On the YouTube channel from Damien)
WiKi on this site about the Lexus GS450h
GS450H Discussion topic
Lexus GS450H VCU Support topic

L210(f) transmission
Vehicle: L210: GS 300h and RC 300h
L210f: It exists, but in which vehicle(s)?

Different versions: Are there different versions like with the L110?
Code: what are the different codes for different versions of the L210(f)
And what are the differences between the L210 and L210f? Only the transfer case? (if I have the correct information, this is also the LF1A)

Specification MG1
Max Torque Nm (lbf) @ rpm: ?? @ ??

Specification MG2
Max Torque Nm @ rpm: ?? @ ??

Oil pump
1 internal oil pump driven by the ring gear so the engine input shaft can still be locked.

EV conversion
Lock the input shaft

Useful links
Information topic about the L210 here on openinverter

L310(f) transmission
Vehicle: ????

According to this site there is a L310: https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/20-02 ... wd_eng.htm

coming...

Q211 rear axle
Vehicle:
- Toyota Highlander
- Toyota RAV4
- Lexus NX 300h
- Lexus RX 400h
- Lexus RX 450h

Vehicles such as the Lexus RX 400h and Toyota Highlander Hybrid added four-wheel drive operation by the addition of a third electric motor ("MGR") on the rear axle. In this system, the rear axle is purely electrically powered, and there is no mechanical link between the engine and the rear wheels. This also permits regenerative braking on the rear wheels.

See P310 transaxle for MGR specifications

coming...
Markos

Re: Toyota/Lexus transaxle/transmission

Post by Markos »

reserved
Markos

Post by Markos »

reserved
Markos

Post by Markos »

Is this something that might be interesting? If so, I'll try to complete it, hopefully with some help.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

This is all really good. But better placed in the wiki. It will just get lost here
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Markos

Post by Markos »

But the information first needs to be gathered before it can be placed in the wiki. I was hoping to get some help with that. Also maybe to discuss about possibilities like external oil pumps with the Prius transaxle so the PSD doesn't need to be welded.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Hanzzon

Post by Hanzzon »

P410 transaxel Toyota Auris hybrid 2010-2012 and Toyota Auris hybrid 2013-2018.
Markos

Post by Markos »

Ev8 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:35 am P310 specs here page 19

http://www.ae.pwr.wroc.pl/filez/2011060 ... Toyota.pdf
Thank you for this document, very interesting!

I've edited the post with the new information. I'll start with the wiki page when I have the time. I'll use this topic for information gathering and discussion.
Markos

Post by Markos »

A question about the P410, the cars with this transaxle have an EV-mode where the car runs without the ICE. However, the oil pump is driven by the engine shaft. How does this work? It can drive up to 50 km/h as long as there is a battery charge.

A video with a little bit explanation of EV-mode can be seen here:
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

No problem, but the p310 is definitely not a modified p112 as you’ve written, it’s physically much larger, and design wise more akin to a gen3 Prius with externally mounted oil pump, second planetary reduction gear set on mg2 and helical transmission gears,

If anything the p313 is an updated p310 as they appear externally the same
Markos

Post by Markos »

Ev8 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 am No problem, but the p310 is definitely not a modified p112 as you’ve written, it’s physically much larger, and design wise more akin to a gen3 Prius with externally mounted oil pump, second planetary replacement reduction gear set on mg2 and helical transmission gears,
Thank you for the correction, I didn't know for sure that's why I added a bunch of question marks. Timewise it would be possible as the RX400h is from 2005< and the Prius Gen2 is 2004-2009. I based my unsure assumption on this part in the document:
Case study: Lexus RX400h
Introduction
The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive, implemented in the Prius II, has only a single power split device, incorporated as a 3 shaft planetary gearset. This is a typical example of an Input-Split Hybrid, due to the fact that a fixed amount of torque is transferred via the electrical path from the engine to the wheels.
The main difference to the Input-Split Hybrid is the addition of a second planetary gearset, and the addition of four clutches (which can actually operate as one). This enables the switching of the percentage of mechanically vs. electrically transmitted power (two modes). This way, it is possible to cope both with low-and high-speed regimes, enabling smaller motors to do the job of larger motors when compared to a single mode type system. The four fixed gears enable the Two-mode hybrid to function like a conventional parallel hybrid under high continuous power regions, like sustained high speed cruising or during towing. Full electric boost is available in fixed gear modes.
This would explain the larger design because of the addition of the second planetary gearset. But again, these were my assumptions. If you are sure I'll delete that part of the information.
If anything the p313 is an updated p310 as they appear externally the same
Do you have more information about the P313?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Markos wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:34 pm A question about the P410, the cars with this transaxle have an EV-mode where the car runs without the ICE. However, the oil pump is driven by the engine shaft. How does this work? It can drive up to 50 km/h as long as there is a battery charge.
Probably it has got the same type of oil pump drive as L210 gearbox - two separate toothed gears with bendix. It either driven by ICE or by ring gear, wich is connected to output shaft.
lsh3rd

Post by lsh3rd »

I'm fairly new to the forums, but I have evangelized wiki culture amongst my colleagues. I am a professional firmware developer and it has been a game-changer for information sharing amongst our global team. I'm also new to the whole EV conversion thing and immediately when I saw this forum I thought, "what can I do to help contribute while learning something?" I realistically probably won't have an EV conversion going anytime soon, but I am very much in an exploratory phase and will slowly amass some parts. A P410 transaxle popped up locally for $50 USD and it very much inspired to start researching - a week later, it was sitting on my garage floor.

Since there was some talk about incorporating the great information in this thread into a wiki, I went ahead and created pages with as much verifiable information as I had on hand from John Kelly at Weber State U... it's still a work-in-progress, and some work the OP did should be incorporated. I linked the various entries in the Toyota and Motors section of the wiki.

My thinking is that each of the transaxles should probably have their own wiki. If there are some similarities we can overlap pages - I lumped all the P31x transaxles together because I don't know enough about various ratios or motor specs yet. I tried to create a consistent heading and subheading style for each one. P112 got a link to Damien's video, so it was the only one that got a modifications section for now.

Also, there are a number of pages dedicated to specific vehicle model types, such as "Lexus GS300h"... I think this ought to be change to the transmission type with the applications listed even if there is only one application. If I get time, I'll juggle this to help make everything consistent. I think my initial contributions are far enough along to where if others feel the desire to go in and edit, they can do so.
Markos

Post by Markos »

lsh3rd wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:40 pm I'm fairly new to the forums, but I have evangelized wiki culture amongst my colleagues. I am a professional firmware developer and it has been a game-changer for information sharing amongst our global team. I'm also new to the whole EV conversion thing and immediately when I saw this forum I thought, "what can I do to help contribute while learning something?" I realistically probably won't have an EV conversion going anytime soon, but I am very much in an exploratory phase and will slowly amass some parts. A P410 transaxle popped up locally for $50 USD and it very much inspired to start researching - a week later, it was sitting on my garage floor.

Since there was some talk about incorporating the great information in this thread into a wiki, I went ahead and created pages with as much verifiable information as I had on hand from John Kelly at Weber State U... it's still a work-in-progress, and some work the OP did should be incorporated. I linked the various entries in the Toyota and Motors section of the wiki.

My thinking is that each of the transaxles should probably have their own wiki. If there are some similarities we can overlap pages - I lumped all the P31x transaxles together because I don't know enough about various ratios or motor specs yet. I tried to create a consistent heading and subheading style for each one. P112 got a link to Damien's video, so it was the only one that got a modifications section for now.

Also, there are a number of pages dedicated to specific vehicle model types, such as "Lexus GS300h"... I think this ought to be change to the transmission type with the applications listed even if there is only one application. If I get time, I'll juggle this to help make everything consistent. I think my initial contributions are far enough along to where if others feel the desire to go in and edit, they can do so.
Nice to hear you are joining the information gathering. I also started with putting my information above into wiki pages (I made a general page which links into specific ones). It isn't finished so I haven't posted it yet, I like to post something complete instead of a w.i.p. I'll try to finish it the next two weeks. It have been some crazy months with my new job so I'm searching for some free time to do this.
lsh3rd

Post by lsh3rd »

Markos, do please have a look at what I did... my aim was to create subsections for posting details like dimensions, weight, and detailed breakout of the electrical connectors in addition to performance specs. I wouldn't hesitate to publish a WIP... it is kind of the nature of wikis. I spent a lot of time just stubbing things out in an attempt to keep the format between pages consistent, but I'm certainly open to having things changed if it is better. If you are farther along, I could always merge whatever I put in my pages and remove them.
tweebs

Post by tweebs »

Markos, Ev8 BIG Thank You for posting this information, I'd love to see an contribute to a wiki. I've not pulled apart a P310 transaxle (yet) so all my information is from the webber video and the service manuals I could find. Alldata.com has procedures, specs, diagrams and part numbers. I'm surprised this information hasn't made it out in the wild yet. I may have to 'liberate' it.

There seem to be an oil pump mounted to the side of the P310 transaxle driven by an shaft from the engine but there is also an external motor driven oil pump mounted behind the front left side pumper which is part of the hybrid system. You have to remove the grill and front bumper to get to it. It some cases it's labeled 'fluid pump', I wonder if that is the water cooling jacket pump or something else.

The oil pressure specification as measured at the pump mounted to transaxle is Engine 900 RPM Pressure 9.8 kPa (0.1 kgf/cm2, 1.4 psi) or more