The VCU change discussion

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
New Electric Ireland

Re: The VCU change discussion

Post by New Electric Ireland »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm I have asked Kevin to put these individuals in touch so as I can make some arrangements with them.
I've reached out to the signal group this morning and asked them to post here and contact other people they are working with.

Everyone is on your side, we just need to support them and find a path forward :)
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Excellent. Thanks Kevin. I have added the following to every page on the webshop in the hopes it can help avoid any further problems of this nature :
PLEASE NOTE THE ITEMS FOR SALE ON THIS WEBSITE MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED END USER PRODUCTS. TECHNICAL SKILLS ARE REQUIRED TO GET THEM RUNNING IN YOUR APPLICATION.
IF YOU ARE ALL DOUBTFUL ABOUT YOUR ABILITIES IN THIS THEN PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE AND VISIT THE OPENINVERTER FORUM FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

On a wider point I would like everyone who threw Open Inverter customers under the bus yesterday to have a good look at themselves. Many people have come here in good faith and want to use these products to move cars down the road. I'm not at all surprised that as usual Damien has stepped up and is doing everything he possible can to support people. I wish more of you were half the man that he is.
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

That's quite an unpleasant statement, a lot of the people that 'threw them under a bus', by simply stating that the boards sold have been on the understanding that it's not a retail product, have given up their time and skills to help, for free.
No one has to write the software or documentation and design the hardware. I've personally spent hours writing the wiki and helping others with the Gen 3 prius as too have others.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah I'm only a half man for sure:) I'd love to be able to be some kind of travelling ev conversion engineer/mechanic/dogsbody who could go to everyone and get their car running. Notwithstanding the virus and financial side I'm sadly not physically able. My grand strategy was/is to get the Zombieverter vcu hardware working with as many drivetrains as I can before loosing the facilities. The software can be rough as long as the hardware works. Then when the dust settles all I need is a computer desk to tidy the software and start working on my great ev conversion novel. the two then go hand in hand. I sell the book and the vcu and/or people just build their own vcus depending on where the legalities end up. Thus I have an income and can continue to be a part of getting cars moving. Lot of food for thought here so I'm going to do some soul searching of my own.

On a practical standpoint I'm thinking of greenlighting the developer to port libopeninv over to sam3. would at least lay the groundwork and let people have a play and find bugs. He's a good guy I've worked with him before on the model 3 bms fpga project. Speaking of which I need to get the M3 stuff wrapped up soon. PCBWAY are beating down my door........well phone anyway:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Can I propose we lock this thread as I believe, that the thread is not constructive and there are polar opposites interpretation of open source development.
Damian has proposed a very sensible way forward porting the code to sam3x therefore allowing both hardware formats to proceed and co exist in parralell.
If this thread proceeds it risks alienating the forum embers which is not beneficial to anyone.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm Can I propose we lock this thread as I believe, that the thread is not constructive and there are polar opposites interpretation of open source development.
You beat me to it :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9