Prius Gen2 motor and inverter ideal voltage without boost converter

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Matthew100

Prius Gen2 motor and inverter ideal voltage without boost converter

Post by Matthew100 »

I have looked through the forum but haven't quite found what I am looking for.

With the boost converter bypassed in the gen2 inverter which is powering the Gen2 transaxle is there a minimum / ideal battery voltage we should aim for?
With the boost converter we can get up to 500v. Max voltage with a bypassed converter 600v (400v for the dcdc). But what would be the lowest battery pack voltage to allow for Highway cruising at 100kmph but allowed for overtaking and top speed of say 120/130 kmph.
The gen2 consumes about 20kw in all electric at around 100kmph. Given sufficient power and and keeping with the amp rating of the inverter, how low can you go?

example
90v x 600 amp combined mg1 and mg2 = 22,850kw However the inverter would probably be far from happy passing all those amps. Then getting into the back EMF of the motors and field weakening of the inverters (not my strongest area at the moment) Would the motors still get up to the required top speed?
I'm thinking a nominal battery voltage of 250v - 300v is preferable as I want to keep the DCDC converter in my case.
I would like to hear from others that are on the road and what voltages they are running and their experiences. whilst acknowledging seat of the pants experience will vary from person to person and fast enough for one may not be for another.