best battery pac

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
adamover

best battery pac

Post by adamover »

I am using a Lexus 450h transmission in a classic car what batteries would you guys and girls recommend ?

the Nissan Leaf ones look ok to put them in tight places but I know little about this stuff and would value your opinion

I have space in bonnet boot and behind rear seat

thanks
Bratitude

Re: best battery pac

Post by Bratitude »

depends on your use case. It’s a mater of power vs energy density + module configurability.
And lifespan.

leaf battery’s are very configurable yes, but are not a very power dense battery. With pour ish life span. mostly due to their air cooled nature.

Hybrid batteries are going to be smaller in energy density but high on the power scale. Chevy volt, Chrysler Pacifica, etc. they are great choices for high hp application without being overly large.

Tesla drive units and hybrid batters are a good pair for example.

what about Tesla cells? Well they are energy dense. But there’s a lot of them, so the load is lightened per cell.

if you got two leaf packs for example, each cell (in a perfect world) would have todo about half the work. Compared to just one leaf pack.

It’s all about what you want to do, how often, range, weight, and longevity.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

adamover wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:01 pm I am using a Lexus 450h transmission in a classic car what batteries would you guys and girls recommend ?

the Nissan Leaf ones look ok to put them in tight places but I know little about this stuff and would value your opinion

I have space in bonnet boot and behind rear seat

thanks
Not to be quippy, but that is like asking what the "best" brand of car is....

With a conversion, there are multiple options and each has their pros and cons. It is best to think long and hard about what is MOST important and rank the battery options accordingly. Consider: size, voltage, weight, form-factor, cost, thermal management, availability and AHrs as a starting point for each and compare to the overall project requirements.

For me, this was simple, because the goal was to be weight neutral and range was not so important.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
adamover

Post by adamover »

at this moment I am just asking advise and opinions of folk as to me at this time it don't matter what car I have as long as I works
range its old car so I figure as time goes on this will improve I just get what get what ever comes along a play with that for now