EVSE controller PCB

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
tom91

EVSE controller PCB

Post by tom91 »

I have designed a new circuit board that will handle the EVSE signals and provide indications for Proximity detect and Pilot signal.

Features:
1- Pilot signal control, READY and CHARGE state switching via simple 12V input
2- Pilot signal detection, if any signal is present on the Pilot signal provide 12V output
3- Proximity detection, if plug resistors detected provide 12V output
4- Provide conditioned Pilot signal so SimpBMS can read the Control Pilot current limit
SimpCharge.JPG
I have ordered the first PCBs will be looking at making up a batch once the design is validated.

Would anyone with OR without a SimpBMS be interested in this as a product?
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
arber333

Re: EVSE controller PCB

Post by arber333 »

I for one am obvious candidate. Since I will took my Arduino DUE circuit out to use Simpbms I will need replacement for EVSE cp sensing.
I already tried to build a circuit that would digitally tell BMS to start charging, but since you know it better I will go with yours.

Tnx

Arber
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Definitely interested. How will this interface to the SimpBMS? I am just hoping its on the less costly side of the spectrum, but I do appreciate the quality of the products you put out, Tom.

Thanks,
-Matt
tom91

Post by tom91 »

mdrobnak wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:05 pm Definitely interested. How will this interface to the SimpBMS? I am just hoping its on the less costly side of the spectrum, but I do appreciate the quality of the products you put out, Tom.

Thanks,
-Matt
It will create the 12V AC present signal and can use the 12V charge enable output to actually request power from the EVSE.

The biggest benefit is that it can then calculate the AC current limit based on the Control Pilot and use that to manage the DC charger.

Should probably mention that the 4 pin header is a jumper to select the different Proximity Signal settings based on the Type 1 or Type 2 and if you have a resistor in your socket.

Pricing is yet to be decided, however there is no programming once it has been tested i can just have it produced and then it can be shipped as is without further work so should be quite cost effective. Shipping would probably be close to the sales price.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

tom91 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:18 pm Pricing is yet to be decided, however there is no programming once it has been tested i can just have it produced and then it can be shipped as is without further work so should be quite cost effective. Shipping would probably be close to the sales price.
You can count me in as a test candidate since i have a working CP sensing with my charger allready installed. I can compare this with my previous setup.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

tom91 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:18 pm
mdrobnak wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:05 pm Definitely interested. How will this interface to the SimpBMS? I am just hoping its on the less costly side of the spectrum, but I do appreciate the quality of the products you put out, Tom.

Thanks,
-Matt
It will create the 12V AC present signal and can use the 12V charge enable output to actually request power from the EVSE.

The biggest benefit is that it can then calculate the AC current limit based on the Control Pilot and use that to manage the DC charger.

Should probably mention that the 4 pin header is a jumper to select the different Proximity Signal settings based on the Type 1 or Type 2 and if you have a resistor in your socket.

Pricing is yet to be decided, however there is no programming once it has been tested i can just have it produced and then it can be shipped as is without further work so should be quite cost effective. Shipping would probably be close to the sales price.
Sounds good to me!
-Matt
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Happy to test / buy one of these when available.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Awesome! Please put me on the list of testers / buyers.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

So had to make a revision, had not used the comperator before.

Now all tests out fine. So I am ready to order a small batch to start selling. First need to work out an enclosure solution.
IMG_20200624_200432.jpg
IMG_20200624_200406.jpg
Please have a read of the Manual and let me know if it all makes sense or if there are questions.
Attachments
SimpCharge Manual V1.0.pdf
(205.78 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Reached out to Hammond Mfg to get quotations on enclosure modification costs.

Hopefully I will have some sort of price point figured out end of this week or beginning of next.
SimpCharge Enclosure.JPG
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

That looks really good.

Manual is clear this is for AC Charging, but I have one question:
If used with a CCS socket, do you see any interference with making the same socket support DC fast Charging later with another controller for the CCS communication? Or would that upgrade most likely also replace simpcharge controller for AC Charging? I guess this.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

JaniK wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:44 am Manual is clear this is for AC Charging, but I have one question:
If used with a CCS socket, do you see any interference with making the same socket support DC fast Charging later with another controller for the CCS communication? Or would that upgrade most likely also replace simpcharge controller for AC Charging? I guess this.
The SimpCharge will have to be replaced by the DC/AC Charging Controller as It needs to be in full control plus the DC controller will also handle the AC charging side due to the nature of the signals and required checks on the signals.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking about it sharing the type2 CP/PP/PE pins while writing, but because I wrote the question, I wanted to get confirmation for that.

As for type1 AC + separate chademo for DC charging, this should not be an issue?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

JaniK wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 am As for type1 AC + separate chademo for DC charging, this should not be an issue?
Yes no issue the DC and AC charging here are even two seperate plugs so not shared at the socket and signal level. It all depends on how you handle it with the Vehicle Controller or BMS logic.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

I do not know if its appropriate to discuss pricing anywhere but in the sales section, can create a topic there if required. Will create one once the first batch is in.

Having done testing I am ordering a batch and some enclosures to go with it. Hopefully will have an update on timing.

Pricing works out at 30GBP including VAT, seeing that this will have an enclosure it should be ok to ship with letter postage.
SimpCharge Enclosure.JPG
arber333

Post by arber333 »

tom91 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48 pm Pricing works out at 30GBP including VAT, seeing that this will have an enclosure it should be ok to ship with letter postage.
I would order one for testing please.

tnx

A
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Nice work :)
prensel

Post by prensel »

Does it just trickle the charger or is there a way to adjust/limit the actual current drawn by the charger according the CP PWM signal ?
= Th!nk PIV4 Collection, support, sales =
tom91

Post by tom91 »

prensel wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm Does it just trickle the charger or is there a way to adjust/limit the actual current drawn by the charger according the CP PWM signal ?
No it does not, as described earlier in the post. In combination with the SimpBMS it can do more.
paaa

Post by paaa »

Very investing idea , I am toying with idea of doing something similar but instead of output to simpbms, I would like to output a configurable 0-5v and or can bus signal indicating max power available based on pilot signal for controlling a charger that doesn't have J1772 support.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

paaa wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:35 pm Very investing idea , I am toying with idea of doing something similar but instead of output to simpbms, I would like to output a configurable 0-5v and or can bus signal indicating max power available based on pilot signal for controlling a charger that doesn't have J1772 support.
You could do but that would require a controller ect. this board/product is meant to be as simple as possible so it will consume a very tiny amount of energy when not in use and be very simple to use and produce thus keeping costs down.
langoo

Post by langoo »

Count me in on one unit for testing! Send me a PM when you are able to send ;)
Robin Hellström
MR Electronics AB
langoo

Post by langoo »

Any news Tom?
Robin Hellström
MR Electronics AB
tom91

Post by tom91 »

langoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pmAny news Tom?
my pcb assembly supplier had some delays at their end but has told me the PCBs have shipped this week.

So hopefully I can provide an update soon once they are tested.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Good news everyone I received the pcbs and housings this week. Completed testing and now I am finishing the documentation.
IMG_20200808_160942e.jpg
The integration with the SimpBMS is also completed, had it all running on the bench in a hardware in the loop setup.

Pricing will be 32gbp including vat for the SimpCharge with mating connector.
IMG_20200808_162409.jpg