Simp BMS

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
Jackk

Re: Simp BMS

Post by Jackk »

SIMP Tesla battery modules wiring x4.pdf
(76.02 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Brilliant all 4 modules registering. It was a wiring fault indeed!.

See pic of revised wiring alterations

Thanks again!!!!!!
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Hey Tom or anyone else that can assist,
Is the ivt-s shunt supported in simpbms?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Dusty4 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:38 pm Hey Tom or anyone else that can assist,
Is the ivt-s shunt supported in simpbms?
Yes on certain versions it is, can roll it into all of them. Stock canbus frames that is and it needs to run same speed as anything else on the bus.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Thanks Tom, adding my +1 vote for the IVT-S shunt. Would you mind pointing to a repo that has it, or reporting back once it’s all in there? I’ll use this for my next high voltage distribution box that’s in progress now!
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Currently the software for Chevy Volt Gen1 and bmw Phev.

So Tesla, VW, Outlander, BMW I3 all have support for the IVT-S shunts
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Thanks Tom, I picked up a shunt a little while ago and would prefer it over the analog current sensor I have in my setup now. Let me know when chev volt 1 is supported :D
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Dusty4 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 pm Thanks Tom, I picked up a shunt a little while ago and would prefer it over the analog current sensor I have in my setup now. Let me know when chev volt 1 is supported :D
Can you configure the shunt to 125kbps, as thats the speed of the canbus for the slaves.
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Unfortunately not, 250,500 or 1000..
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Hi Tom, any luck with VW balance magic?

Here is a E-golf gen2 BMC ECU
DSC_1864~2.JPG
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

None as I have yet to get a pack myself that is willing to balance or someone who has a can capture showing balancing behaviour.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Have you tried fuzzing in savvycan? I have some spare slave bms pcbs and 12 18650s that I'll be trying that with when I get chance. Might have to replace one of the balance resistors with an led or something.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

tom91 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:42 pm None as I have yet to get a pack myself that is willing to balance or someone who has a can capture showing balancing behaviour.
OK, so puzzle is missing some pieces, do you need CAN capture from pack in car, or if it does it without car, should that be enough..?
Bigpie wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:14 am Have you tried fuzzing in savvycan? I have some spare slave bms pcbs and 12 18650s that I'll be trying that with when I get chance. Might have to replace one of the balance resistors with an led or something.
Not yet, I have got a mcp2515 and some Arduino boards for testing, allthough might just be a lot easier to plug SimpBMS into the controller and see what happens, but I want to get the mcp2515 working because I bought it for this.. I am allready out of my area of expertise, but you gotta start somewhere. :P
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Hi Tom,
Any plans to add the Kia to the range. ?
I have a Kia soul pack with BMS.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

zippy500 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:27 pm Hi Tom,
Any plans to add the Kia to the range. ?
I have a Kia soul pack with BMS.
Do you have any canbus information for the pack internals?

One requirement is that the BMS master does not measure the cells itself.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

I have traced the BMC wiring and plugged in 5V to VW battery packs CAR side connector to see what happens. Nothing happened, except the board drawing 70mA of current. 8-) Oh well, I think I am missing some enable signal/wire/command maybe.

There is 2 CAN buses in the black round connector outside of VW battery pack. Only if I had a working E-Golf now to see how it should work.

I wonder about 4 the pin through hole section on board, on top of the MCP5517, there is +5V and GND (square) and 2 (data?) in the middle. Maybe I plug in serial there to see if it is that easy? :mrgreen:
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I might be able to get a capture from the 2 can buses in to the pack during a charge on an eGolf. I've got an induction can reader and a neighbour with an E-golf. I've not tested the can crocodile yet, if you can play these captures back to the master maybe it'll instruct the modules to balance.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jackk

Post by Jackk »

Got my SIMP communicating with my "elcon" charger. The charger flashes red and the fan kicks in but there is no output whatsoever... tested with clamp meter and is reading 0A also no voltage whatsoever. The simp is happy and believes its charging.

I ordered an Elcon UHF 3.3kw charger from evlithium and after 4 months they sent me out a knock off basically and refused to replace it with a genuine elcon charger. be careful of this company!!!..apparently the can comms is identical to the elcon and it is communicating. Evlithium aren't being that helpful, I presume it must be a fault with the charger itself perhaps an inboard fuse has blown ?

Modules are tesla x 4 serial. currently sitting at about 88v.

please see image charger, the information on it is terrible/non existent!!

Also my settings...
IMG_20210528_095844.jpg
IMG_20210528_095826.jpg
3.3kw charger.jpg
Many thanks!
tom91

Post by tom91 »

why is cell votlage limit set to 42000mV instead of 4200mV?
Jackk

Post by Jackk »

tom91 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 am why is cell votlage limit set to 42000mV instead of 4200mV?
not sure have put it to 4200mv now.

on the main screen its saying no charge current limit set but it is set to 35A on the charge setup...also the CP current limit is fluctuating quickly from zero up 4000A in a random fashion.

BMS Status : 3 Charge | AC Present | 24
Out:0010 Cont:0000 In:0010 Charge Current Limit : 1 A DisCharge Current Limit : 400 A CP Current Limit: 1800A No Charge Current Limit
BogdanT

Post by BogdanT »

Looks like a TCCharger, they should work fine.
This is a long-shot, but try setting param 6 Charger CAN msg spd to 1000ms (1 sec).

LE: is it flashing only Red? or combination Red/Green?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Please leave the CP input disconnected for testing. What do you have connected?

If nothing is connected please tie this input to 12V.
Jackk

Post by Jackk »

tom91 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:11 pm Please leave the CP input disconnected for testing. What do you have connected?

If nothing is connected please tie this input to 12V.
The CP is connected to pilot out from simp charge via a 5k resistor... this pin appears to be getting voltage once charge has initiated but the voltage isn't steady... around the 3v .

OK so i pulled the CP pin all together and now getting a nice 30A from the charger!! SUCCESS IT WORKS! but what about the CP line? what is its purpose? why was it stopping the charger outputting...

Thanks!!
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jackk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:44 am
The CP is connected to pilot out from simp charge via a 5k resistor... this pin appears to be getting voltage once charge has initiated but the voltage isn't steady... around the 3v .

OK so i pulled the CP pin all together and now getting a nice 30A from the charger!! SUCCESS IT WORKS! but what about the CP line? what is its purpose? why was it stopping the charger outputting...

Thanks!!
The manual states this feature is still under development. I have not yet had time to fully finalise it. The CP line is a PWM signal used to determine the
maximum allowed AC current the charger can draw. The biggest challenge will be getting it reliable, as it will be some what susceptible to noise.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I've made some changes to SIMPBMS that might be of interest, moved all Canbus dependencies in to BMSCan, switched to ACAN/ACAN2515 and added support for the 2 onboard (Teensy 3.6) and 2 additional SPI MCP2515, (one on SPI and one on SPI1)

There's also untested Tesla shunt support on there and minimally tested outlander charger support.

https://github.com/jamiejones85/VW-bms/tree/master

ACAN T4 should be simple to support, but I don't have a Teensy 4 to test with.

bmscan.write(msg, 2); for example will write the frame to the SPI canbus, bmscan.write(msg, 0) to can0, bmscan.write(msg, 1) to can1 and so on.

RStevens and myself are planning on adding a support for a second pack on can1, and settings for charger can index etc.

I can put together a PR if there's any bits you want to pull in.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

The main point to note if anyone is thinking of trying to use a ternary 4 is that there seem to be issues with the watchdog
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/59257-WD ... r-Teensy-4
It's a little over my understanding to implement, it was just easier to buy a ternary 3.6.

Edit: also worth noting that a teensy 3.6 is only £1.50 more expensive than a 4.1 and to be honest we will never use the horsepower behind the 3.6 let alone the 4.1
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪