Simp BMS

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
Jack Bauer

Re: Simp BMS

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just wondering has anyone used Simpbms with a cab300-c current sensor?
I'm going to need a hacksaw
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:10 am cab300-c current sensor?
Why not, if you the BMS variant runs the canbus at 500 kbps it will work if you select canbus current sensor.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

hmmm ...so the version I have is CAB 300-C/SP3-000 which uses can id 0x3c0 at 500k. Is that compatible?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah, I guess this is my problem :

Code: Select all

switch (inMsg.id)
    {
      case 0x3c2:
        CAB300();
        break;
      default:
        break;
    }
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 am hmmm ...so the version I have is CAB 300-C/SP3-000 which uses can id 0x3c0 at 500k. Is that compatible?
Why you got to be different. :)

Currently set to the stock 0x3C2 but can create a variable to allow you to select sensor types and can then include it.

You can change it for yourself for now, what version of firmware? BMW?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Changed to 0x3c0 and we are motoring:)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

tom91 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:19 am
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 am hmmm ...so the version I have is CAB 300-C/SP3-000 which uses can id 0x3c0 at 500k. Is that compatible?
Why you got to be different. :)

Currently set to the stock 0x3C2 but can create a variable to allow you to select sensor types and can then include it.

You can change it for yourself for now, what version of firmware? BMW?
Have to keep you on your toes Tom:)
Actually using it with a full 90kwh tesla pack. I originally used a dhab analog sensor but found the values very noisy. Working perfectly now with the CAB 300.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:57 am
Have to keep you on your toes Tom:)
Actually using it with a full 90kwh tesla pack. I originally used a dhab analog sensor but found the values very noisy. Working perfectly now with the CAB 300.
Analogue Sensors are very noisy, I do not like using them. It best to digitise as close to the measurement as possible.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for your help Tom!

I just got first messages from 35.8kWh E-golf modules with SimpBMS. :) Now let the tweaking commence!

I am now running SimpBMS direct to VW harness 5QE971690AE input connector.
1slave 4S3P+2*2S3P non-slaves now for test.
Can terminated at second slave connector.
Input enable goes from factory harness input connector to third slave input connector pin3.
I connected it to pin4 at second slave connector that is wired to input enable pin3 in first slave connector.
-Ask VW not me :P
Attachments
E-golf 35.8kWh + SimpBMS first CAN contact
E-golf 35.8kWh + SimpBMS first CAN contact
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Anyone using SimpBMS. It seems i am quite slow or...
I setup my system with Ampera battery, original slaves and Toms SimpBMS without a problem. I use original Ampera current sensor which is a bit strange since it has large sensor 0A offset to 3.0V instead of 2.5V which is more common. That sensor caused me quite a headache since official datasheet for DHAB S-44 states sensitivity:
Low area: 100mV/A
High area: 6.15mV/A

I put this in and i constantly had some 30Amps going in or out of battery. Annoying! Now my SOC wattmeter faithfully shows 0A. I tried to calibrate and everything to no avail. Then i went for vacation... Until this week when i returned and reread instructions. I experimented with setting various sensitivity. Then i noticed instructions call for 10x setting. I thought this was value to the tenth of... But as soon as i put in 1000mV/A and 61.5mV/A i got good measurement.

So to those that will fiddle with unclear sensors i want to leave a note: input sensitivity x10!
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks arber, this may come in handy :) (DHAB S/06 here)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Hey folks,

My DC-DC converter recently died on me and I'm guessing it sent a voltage spike to the 12V system (and to the Teensy/SimpBMS accordingly) as my BMS was not able to communicate with the Tesla modules after the event. I don't have a way to prove this theory, but was tipped off by the Teensy troubleshooting page #3 most common problem: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Good news is that I replaced the Teensy 3.2, reprogrammed it, and we're back up and running.
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
ghaz77

Post by ghaz77 »

JaniK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm Thanks for your help Tom!

I just got first messages from 35.8kWh E-golf modules with SimpBMS. :) Now let the tweaking commence!

Input enable goes from factory harness input connector to third slave input connector pin3.
I connected it to pin4 at second slave connector that is wired to input enable pin3 in first slave connector.
we are trying to connect the same module ( using the wiring that is provided in the manual ) to simpBMS but we didn't manage to get a signal.
did you use a different wiring scheme than the one that is in the manual ?
can you provide me with the wiring schematics that you used ?
did you connect any contarctors ?
are they necessary if we have protection on the power side ?
Attachments
20200921_150849.jpg
20200921_150839.jpg
20200921_150817.jpg
20200921_150800.jpg
20200921_150725.jpg
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Does SIMP BMS have CHAdeMO communication capability yet? I.E can it send and recieve the appropriate CAN messages for CHAdeMO Quick charging?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Domt177 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:05 pm Does SIMP BMS have CHAdeMO communication capability yet? I.E can it send and recieve the appropriate CAN messages for CHAdeMO Quick charging?
No it does not, nor will it have it. When I get around to finishing off my Simp BMS/VCU I could look at implementing it as it will have multiple canbus networks.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

ghaz77 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:47 am
JaniK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm Thanks for your help Tom!

we are trying to connect the same module ( using the wiring that is provided in the manual ) to simpBMS but we didn't manage to get a signal.
did you use a different wiring scheme than the one that is in the manual ?
can you provide me with the wiring schematics that you used ?
did you connect any contarctors ?
are they necessary if we have protection on the power side ?
Sorry for late reply.

I looked at your pictures and heres my thoughts.

There is a small error in the manual.

1. You need to Swap can H/L on SimpBMS connector.
It is labeled wrong only on the wiring basics for the VW connector.

SimpBMS connector X5 pins 9/4 are swapped. (Tom knows.)

2. I put a 120R resistor on SimpBMS connector and also the last module on the wiring.

3. Also I needed to put the non-slaves to the slave module to get it working properly.

I have all the original VW wiring sorted and tracked. But my notes are a mess honestly. So I will share later when its easier to read by others.

PLEASE NOTE! Your module looks different than mine, (mine are Samsung, yours I think is Panasonic) so this is maybe not the way it goes. So do not connect like this if you are not absolutely sure!
(My module was working +nonslave-=+nonslave-=+slave-=simpbms) Tom told me to check polarity and I checked and also looked how the PCB tracing/wiring is connected in every module before i connected them. Also I asked all questions first for safety.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Am I correct in saying this will support a maximum of 8 Tesla modules?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Domt177 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:32 pm Am I correct in saying this will support a maximum of 8 Tesla modules?
up to 32 modules have been proven, software limit is 64.
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Hi Tom,
I bought the simpbms a while ago and have finally got around to installing. I'm running gen1 volt slaves on a lg chem pacifca 96s pack. If you see in the attached image it sees 96 cells but lists 99 cells in the read out, with cells 3,82,89 and 96 reading 0v. I've checked my harness at those cells with a meter and get 3.5v on each of them. Do you think this could be a communication issue?
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Dusty4 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:25 am Hi Tom,
I bought the simpbms a while ago and have finally got around to installing. I'm running gen1 volt slaves on a lg chem pacifca 96s pack. If you see in the attached image it sees 96 cells but lists 99 cells in the read out, with cells 3,82,89 and 96 reading 0v. I've checked my harness at those cells with a meter and get 3.5v on each of them. Do you think this could be a communication issue?
It sees 96 cells, it does list the 0V readings reported by the slaves. Its just down to the structure of the BMS slaves, so if you see on top left of the read out 96 cells detected you are good.
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Thanks for the reply 👍. If it's happy I'm happy.
rotortalk

Post by rotortalk »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but there seems to be good knowledge here :-)

I'm looking to create an ESS, so looking to a 48v pack. My question is around parallelling modules/strings. I am thinking of 3 strings of 2 modules each (so a 2S3P arrangement of Tesla modules). I believe that it is not wise to simply parallel the strings together for all sorts of reasons, so in this case should I be looking at one SimpBMS per string and then have the ability via the charge/discharge contacts to isolate each sting if necessary? Am I right in thinking one SimpBMS couldn't do the job?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

rotortalk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:55 pm Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but there seems to be good knowledge here :-)

I'm looking to create an ESS, so looking to a 48v pack. My question is around parallelling modules/strings. I am thinking of 3 strings of 2 modules each (so a 2S3P arrangement of Tesla modules). I believe that it is not wise to simply parallel the strings together for all sorts of reasons, so in this case should I be looking at one SimpBMS per string and then have the ability via the charge/discharge contacts to isolate each sting if necessary? Am I right in thinking one SimpBMS couldn't do the job?
One SimpBMS can do the job, the minimal recommended insurance is having a fuse per string. Since the SimpBMS looks at the whole pack the whole pack will be stopped from doing anything if something goes wrong.

So One SimpBMS would treat it like one big pack, thus if only one string develops a fault the other two also do not work.
rotortalk

Post by rotortalk »

tom91 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 pm
One SimpBMS can do the job, the minimal recommended insurance is having a fuse per string. Since the SimpBMS looks at the whole pack the whole pack will be stopped from doing anything if something goes wrong.

So One SimpBMS would treat it like one big pack, thus if only one string develops a fault the other two also do not work.
Thank you so much Tom for your quick reply. For such a setup if I plan to use an inverter/charger (i.e. just one DC bus) would one contacter connected to Connector 4 / Pin 4 be sufficient (i.e. no separate charge/discharge contactors)
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

in theory it should be possible to add a additional gen1 volt slave onto the Chevy volt bms train? Or is the teensy 3.2 almost out of address space at this point?

I’d like to possibly add an additional cell group to the pack, increasing storage and voltage without paralleling two full packs.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components