400A+ service disconnect wanted

Buy and sell
arber333

400A+ service disconnect wanted

Post by arber333 »

Anyone has service disconnect from EV that has at least 400A capacity? I would need one to quickly disconnect my pack if i want to service something on HV side. The way i use my setup now it is quite cubersome to remove my 400A fuse and split the pack. Quick disconnect would help a lot.
TNX
jnsaff

Re: 400A+ service disconnect wanted

Post by jnsaff »

Why not use a contactor to always split the pack when HV is off?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

jnsaff wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm Why not use a contactor to always split the pack when HV is off?
No no procedure because that could cause harm on components (inverter, charger, dcdc) if DC link would be disconnected while driving. Just dont go there.
EDIT: i feel it neccessary to explain. My pack is actually two packs and in between them i have 400A fuse on positive side. If i wanted to service the pack i need to split it by removing the fuse. It would be easier to just pull the plug from the negative side and service the pack that way.

I am ME and i trust mechanical solution.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm No no procedure because that could cause harm on components (inverter, charger, dcdc) if DC link would be disconnected while driving. Just dont go there.
Thanks for giving us tips on those things, very useful. But we still need contactors to enable HV to the inverter and the rest of the system? Isn't it a similar risk? Your HV also isn't permanently connected to inverter and dcdc, is it?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:44 pm
arber333 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm No no procedure because that could cause harm on components (inverter, charger, dcdc) if DC link would be disconnected while driving. Just dont go there.
Thanks for giving us tips on those things, very useful. But we still need contactors to enable HV to the inverter and the rest of the system? Isn't it a similar risk? Your HV also isn't permanently connected to inverter and dcdc, is it?
Valid point. But my DCDC and chargers ARE permanently connected to battery via 30A fuses. Contactor only brakes complete link from battery box to inverter not the middle of the battery. So i have to split it manually.

I guess if you would have 2x contactors you could disconnect middle of the pack on the + side and - side of complete battery. That way you would split the pack to two packs and separate them from inverter. Ideally you would need 3x contactors for the best effect but they dont grow on trees :). There is also possibility of damage to BMS if front contactors are on while middle one is not yet engaged...

I need something easier to take apart than bolted fuse...