Forklift motor wanted

Buy and sell
jo9nisingt35r

Forklift motor wanted

Post by jo9nisingt35r »

Hello

From th uk, desperate to do an ev, im after a good forklift motor for a small car.

I will be hitting refresh every 5 seconds

Thanks
jack of all trades master of 1.
Peter

Re: Forklift motor wanted

Post by Peter »

Hi jo9nisingt35r

Depends if you want a DC or AC motor ? Most new and new(ish) forklifts are AC. If its a DC motor you are probably looking at a maximum voltage of 72v but there may be higher voltage forklifts out there. More info needed please. Peter
joromy

Post by joromy »

Would go for a Leaf motor, if it was me.
Forklift drivetrain sounds heavy and slow, but I may be wrong (again)
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
jo9nisingt35r

Post by jo9nisingt35r »

lookiong for a dc motor, using Jack Bauer motor controller, the second one he has, and its the cheepest route.
Im planning a 48v batterycurrently building one.
Kind of like the idea of still using gearbox and clutch.
Id really like a reccomendation if possibly or advice really

Not sure on the leaf motor do you mean take one out of a scraped car and use it ? Renault make evs are their motors suitable?
joromy

Post by joromy »

I just wanted to suggest a motor that is tested, and can use the openiverter.

Yes, I meant you could use a scraped Leaf.
Or a new one, then you can drive it home :D
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
jo9nisingt35r

Post by jo9nisingt35r »

Do you mean jacks dc controller? this one his second version
http://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-we ... -igbt-bare
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Prestolite MTC4001 any good to you?

A very popular motor back in the day. You'll fine quite a lot of examples of its use on http://evalbum.com/

I've got one and a Kelly controller to go with it.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Forklift motors are probably the cheapest and easiest ways to go still.

You can usually get one anywhere from free to $200 (scrap value). Call up, or go to any place that repairs forklifts, and ask if they have any old DC motors in the back, or if they would let you take one off the next machine they're scraping (many times they turn 2 dead machines into 1 working one and haul the rest away as scrap). Tell them it's for a project, guys who fix stuff all day long have a soft spot for someone learning to tinker on things and will probably find a way to help you out.

You want one at least 9" in diameter, maybe 11' diameter. You'll want a series-wound one (95% will be).

See how many brushes it has, ideally you'll find one with 4 pairs of brushes (8 total).

Check that they're in decent condition, that it spins, that it's not rusted through, etc... but chances are the reason the forklift died is because the battery failed, not the motor.

You do not want to build a 48v pack. You'll want at least a 120v pack, 144v pack.

The forklift motor you get will probably be 48v, and that's fine, you'll just be feeding it 144v anyway with a little mechanical modification to advance the brush holders.

Other than that, grab all the cabelling, relays, and Anderson connectors if you can. It'll come in handy.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

On last weeks course the participants built a DC controller using a Toyota Prius inverter... worked very well and available for €100 8-)
IMG_20191008_120554.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
jimbob01

Post by jimbob01 »

i have a couple of fork lift motors in the cupboard...pm me if you are interested..regards james