[Driving] Freelander EV With Gen1 Leaf electrics and EVBMW VCU

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Greenbeast

Re: Freelander EV With Gen1 Leaf electrics and EVBMW VCU

Post by Greenbeast »

Fourtrak looks OK, if I mount to the bell housing I'm well forward of the T-case
Attachments
20201229_172323.jpg
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:01 pm Nice work on the the home made transfer screw.

Ready made versions are not very expensive and are easier to use in blind holes;

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... ed%20depth.
Yeah but not as cheap as buck shee. :D

It was the first time I've needed one but If I find I need more different sizes I'll order them so thanks for sharing.
I need a bigger hammer!
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

What spline adaptor did you decide on for the motor side?
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Greenbeast wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 pm Fourtrak looks OK, if I mount to the bell housing I'm well forward of the T-case
It looks like you'll be OK there. Until I get my coupler I won't be 100% certain but I think it will be OK.
A mate from Landyzone is making it for me but he has had some major car issues recently that have held him back.
Greenbeast wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 pm What spline adaptor did you decide on for the motor side?
I started a thread here talking about the spline adapter.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=995
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

While I'm waiting for the coupler to arrive I'm doing other things that will need done anyway.

I bought a Zafira power steering pump but I think it's faulty as it spools up to full power but won't fall back to normal power.

So as the Zafira pump seems to be faulty I decided to see if I can drive the Freelander PS pump with an alternator adapted to run as a motor.

Also I've just tested the circuit board sent by Johu with the Audi sensor and pump and all working perfectly so far. :)
IMG_20210118_215452663.png
IMG_20210118_215643826.png
IMG_20210118_215629704.png
Thanks Johu :)
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

A quick video showing it in action.
I need a bigger hammer!
paaa

Post by paaa »

Great work! I would be wary of running the power steering that way. My smith Edison van does it that way albeit with a larger motor and it is very inefficient from a power and space perspective. Just a thought would the leaf rack be usable? . Have you a plan for the leaf shell?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:01 pm Nice work on the the home made transfer screw.

Ready made versions are not very expensive and are easier to use in blind holes;

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... ed%20depth.
Really nice info thanks! In my Mazda days i also had to make my own transfer screws...
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

paaa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm Great work! I would be wary of running the power steering that way. My smith Edison van does it that way albeit with a larger motor and it is very inefficient from a power and space perspective. Just a thought would the leaf rack be usable? . Have you a plan for the leaf shell?
This car is just a test mule so if it turns out to be a bad option I will rethink it. The Zafira power steering pump draws 25A continously and more when you turn the wheels so it's not particularly efficient . I still have the Leaf power steering so if any one comes up with a way to use it I'll give it a try.
The shell was sold to a scrap yard.
I need a bigger hammer!
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Corsa C electric columns are popular solutions.

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/corsa-c ... ring-epas/
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

That's a great link thanks.
I know you have a lot of experience with conversions so thought I'd ask, have you any thoughts on the wisdom of spending time on the original power steering pump and motor as I've shown it? I don't want to try and reinvent the wheel if it ends up being square.
I already have the motor and ebike kit and it seems to be working but I don't want to waste time on a lost cause.
I need a bigger hammer!
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

I've never actually done anything with power steering, the Lotus will be the first when I get around to it. I have a Zafira pump waiting to go into that and from what I've seen, a correctly functioning pump should idle at around 8 amps. The behavior I've been seeing didn't quite seem to match up with the description of power steering function with a pressure limiting valve, but having done some more research, it's a combination flow regulation valve with a pressure limiting valve too.
Power steering pump, function.pdf
(401.59 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
You haven't as yet tested your pump setup under full load, so I don't know if your setup will be adequate.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

SciroccoEV wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:28 pm I've never actually done anything with power steering, the Lotus will be the first when I get around to it. I have a Zafira pump waiting to go into that and from what I've seen, a correctly functioning pump should idle at around 8 amps. The behavior I've been seeing didn't quite seem to match up with the description of power steering function with a pressure limiting valve, but having done some more research, it's a combination flow regulation valve with a pressure limiting valve too.

Power steering pump, function.pdf

You haven't as yet tested your pump setup under full load, so I don't know if your setup will be adequate.
I agree 100% Paul, testing with no engine or gearbox is not really going to give a true result but it kinda proves the concept. I suspect a more powerful motor and almost certainly a more powerful controller will be required to run this long term but as I've said before this is just a test mule for the real thing so I don't mind trying stuff to see how it goes.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Nodge did a bloody good job on that coupler. Good to see you are making good progress!
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

That coupling is cracking.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Greenbeast wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 pm That coupling is cracking.
LRBen wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 pm Nodge did a bloody good job on that coupler. Good to see you are making good progress!
Agreed guys. He spent a lot more time making it than I expected and all I gave him for it was an old laptop but the result was amazing.
Hopefully I will do it justice.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Here's the latest video guys. Mostly making a bracket but the drive train is now under the bonnet.
There will be more bracketry required to secure the drivers side but I'll probably not show so much of that.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

New video including the very first drive under Electric power.

I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Nice work! That bracket turned out really well. I'm just starting that stage on mine and decided to go the same route as you, hooking up to the original engine mounts.

Good to see the first electric drive as well!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

LRBen wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:53 am Nice work! That bracket turned out really well. I'm just starting that stage on mine and decided to go the same route as you, hooking up to the original engine mounts.

Good to see the first electric drive as well!
Thanks mate, I must admit I was really chuffed to finally see the car moving under electric power.
As for the bracket I want to minimise modifications to the car as much as possible to give myself the best chance of getting it approved so using the original engine mount should help with that. It also just made sense, I've seen some pretty ropey motor mounts on Youtube so I deliberately over engineered it to avoid making the same mistakes.
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:15 am
As for the bracket I want to minimise modifications to the car as much as possible to give myself the best chance of getting it approved so using the original engine mount should help with that.
That's my thinking as well. I'm trying to make everything as bolt in as possible. So on paper it's just a plain old engine swap.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

LRBen wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am That's my thinking as well. I'm trying to make everything as bolt in as possible. So on paper it's just a plain old engine swap.
I'm trying to make everything as much as possible bolt in as I intend to transfer everything to a nicer model of Freelander when I get it finished.
There is another thread here about getting approval in the UK and from what was said it's best to avoid any cutting of the chassis and that seems to include the boot floor. I'm hoping I will have lots of space in my car under the floor but it will present some headaches as far as sealing the pack from the elements is concerned.
I need a bigger hammer!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

That is quite the engine mount! It's definitely NOT going anywhere. And great idea with the eBike setup, i might have to borrow that to move my heap around. I made a motor mount this weekend myself, good timing :)
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

vwbrady wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm That is quite the engine mount! It's definitely NOT going anywhere. And great idea with the eBike setup, i might have to borrow that to move my heap around. I made a motor mount this weekend myself, good timing :)
I guess it might be a tiny bit over engineered but like I always say.
"yer better lookin at it than for it" :lol:

The ebike controller was originally bought as working with or without hall sensors but I've tried a couple of others since that were only bought because they were cheap and the all work without hall sensors or a resolver.
I need a bigger hammer!